Re: [30MDG] Re: Olivia/Contestia/MFSK

  • Phil Williams
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 3, 2010
      hey jon...calling on olivia 16/500 @ 10.142 + 750 +/- QRM.

      On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 7:28 AM, Jon Maguire <w1mnk@...> wrote:

      Jonathan,

      I'm on 10.142.5 +750 audio right now, and will be calling CQ on and off today. I hope the band cooperates. Thank you for your help and advice.

      73... Jon W1MNK-

      On 12/2/2010 9:27 PM, Jonathan Helis KB5IAV wrote:

      > 2c. Re: Olivia/Contestia/MFSK Posted by: "w1mnk" w1mnk@... w1mnk Date: Wed Dec 1, 2010 6:57 pm ((PST)) Hi Jonathan, Thanks for that information. Looks like I'll shuttle between those 3 frequencies and call CQ. I'm running around QRP into a low parallel dipole, so I'm not going to be the loudest signal on the band. I have worked an Ontario station on PSK31, so I know I'm getting out. Maybe I'll see you there!! 73... Jon(athan!!) W1MNK 30MDG#0497 --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Helis KB5IAV <kb5iav@...>
      >> >
      >> > According to http://www.hflink.com/olivia, the frequencies for Olivia on
      >> > 30 are as follows:
      >> >

      >> > 10138.5 +750hz
      >> > 10141.5 +750hz
      >> > 10142.5 +750hz
      >> >
      >> > I sometimes call MFSK16 on 10.142. I don't do much Contestia, but when
      >> > I see it, it's usually in the same frequency range.
      >> >
      >> > --
      >> > 73,
      >> >

      >> > Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
      >> > Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.A.
      >> >
      >> > 30MDG#2189

      According to hflink.com, 10.142.50 +750hz is the calling frequency. If
      you haven't already, if you go to those frequencies and don't hear
      anyone, call CQ. It's a strange thing, I can sit and monitor and hear
      nothing, then I call CQ and after a few tries, I often get a response.

      What I do is call on one mode several times, then another, then another,
      until I get a response. I also turn on RSID and video ID as well for
      MFSK16, DominoEX, and the other lesser used modes. If the band is open,
      I usually will get a response sooner or later.

      Good luck and good DX

      Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
      Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.A.

      --
      Philw de KA1GMN
    • k9jri@att.net
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 3, 2010
        I am listening right now and hear nothing. I am i Indianapolis, IN

        EM69xw

        73 - Mike - K9JRI

        --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Phil Williams <ka1gmn@...> wrote:

        > hey jon...calling on olivia 16/500 @ 10.142 + 750 +/- QRM.
        >
        > On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 7:28 AM, Jon Maguire <w1mnk@...> wrote:
        >

        > > Jonathan,
        > >
        > > I'm on 10.142.5 +750 audio right now, and will be calling CQ on and off
        > > today. I hope the band cooperates. Thank you for your help and advice.
        > >
        > > 73... Jon W1MNK-
        > >

        > > On 12/2/2010 9:27 PM, Jonathan Helis KB5IAV wrote:
        > >

        > > > 2c. Re: Olivia/Contestia/MFSK Posted by: "w1mnk" w1mnk@...<w1mnk%40tampabay.rr.com>w1mnk Date: Wed Dec 1, 2010 6:57 pm ((PST)) Hi Jonathan, Thanks for that
        > > information. Looks like I'll shuttle between those 3 frequencies and call
        > > CQ. I'm running around QRP into a low parallel dipole, so I'm not going to
        > > be the loudest signal on the band. I have worked an Ontario station on
        > > PSK31, so I know I'm getting out. Maybe I'll see you there!! 73...
        > > Jon(athan!!) W1MNK 30MDG#0497 --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com<30MDG%40yahoogroups.com>,
        > > Jonathan Helis KB5IAV <kb5iav@> <kb5iav@>

        > > on

        > > According to hflink.com, 10.142.50 +750hz is the calling frequency. If
        > > you haven't already, if you go to those frequencies and don't hear
        > > anyone, call CQ. It's a strange thing, I can sit and monitor and hear
        > > nothing, then I call CQ and after a few tries, I often get a response.
        > >
        > > What I do is call on one mode several times, then another, then another,
        > > until I get a response. I also turn on RSID and video ID as well for
        > > MFSK16, DominoEX, and the other lesser used modes. If the band is open,
        > > I usually will get a response sooner or later.
        > >
        > > Good luck and good DX
        > >
        > > --
        > > 73,
        > >
        > > Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
        > > Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.A.
        > >

        > --
        > Philw de KA1GMN

      • Phil Williams
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 3, 2010
          CQ CQ CQ de K9JRI K9JRI K9JRI
          pse K

          --
          Philw de KA1GMN
        • k9jri@att.net
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 3, 2010
            I copied you perfectly Phil. I had just installed MixW 2.20 onto Windows on my Mac nini and had not set up any of my favorite macros yet. I was really surprised when you answered my 2.5 watt CQ.

            Thanks for the report. I will be better prepared next time.

            The setup is a SWL PSK-30, 2.5 watts PEP into a 40M dipole fed with 300 ohm line.

            73 and thanks again

          • Phil Williams
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 3, 2010

              Hey mike...no problem.  Signal looked good on this end.

              Philw de KA1GMN

              On Dec 3, 2010 8:47 AM, "k9jri@..." <k9jri@...> wrote:

              I copied you perfectly Phil. I had just installed MixW 2.20 onto Windows on my Mac nini and had not set up any of my favorite macros yet. I was really surprised when you answered my 2.5 watt CQ.

              Thanks for the report. I will be better prepared next time.

              The setup is a SWL PSK-30, 2.5 watts PEP into a 40M dipole fed with 300 ohm line.

              73 and thanks again

              Mike - K9JRI

              --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Phil Williams <ka1gmn@...> wrote:

              > CQ CQ CQ de K9JRI K9JRI K9JRI
              > pse K
              >

              > On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 8:32 AM, k9jri@... <k9jri@...> wrote:
              >

              > > I am listening rig...

              > > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com <30MDG%40yahoogroups.com>, Phil Williams

              > > <ka1gmn@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > hey jon...calling on olivia 16/500 @ 10.142 + 750 +/- QRM.

            • signalhz
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 3, 2010
                I heard you here too Phil but was using DM 780. I have problems with that program. I downloaded FLDIGI a little while ago. I'm probably going to be trying to figure out how to operate it for a while.

                gm
                73
                Eddy
                N4ABN

                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 3, 2010

                  Thanks for the report.  I have had good results w/ fldigi.

                  Philw de KA1GMN

                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 6, 2010
                    Hi Phil, Eddy + Co.ltd. :-)
                    theoretically all programs - fldigi, DM780, MixW etc. - will send out proper and precise signals in those modes; there may be the one or other slight difference in receiving weak signals especially MFSK, but I noticed no difference in Contestia or Olivia. So which program you wish to use is a mere matter of personal preference.
                    Just want to leave this note: when using DominoEX under fldigi pse uncheck the FEC-box in Config-Modems as otherwise you won't be able to get a contact when the other side is using DM780 or possibly Multipsk.
                    vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 6, 2010
                      The problem I have with HRD Deluxe is not with decoding anyone. Something is causing it to freeze during qso's

                      On 12/6/2010 9:09 AM, dl6xaz wrote:

                      Hi Phil, Eddy + Co.ltd. :-)
                      theoretically all programs - fldigi, DM780, MixW etc. - will send out proper and precise signals in those modes; there may be the one or other slight difference in receiving weak signals especially MFSK, but I noticed no difference in Contestia or Olivia. So which program you wish to use is a mere matter of personal preference.
                      Just want to leave this note: when using DominoEX under fldigi pse uncheck the FEC-box in Config-Modems as otherwise you won't be able to get a contact when the other side is using DM780 or possibly Multipsk.
                      vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

                      --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Phil Williams <ka1gmn@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks for the report. I have had good results w/ fldigi.
                      >
                      > Philw de KA1GMN
                      >
                      > On Dec 3, 2010 9:58 AM, "signalhz" <signalhz@...> wrote:
                      >

                      > I heard you here too Phil but was using DM 780. I have problems with that
                      > program. I downloaded FLDIGI a little while ago. I'm probably going to be
                      > trying to figure out how to operate it for a while.
                      >
                      > gm
                      > 73
                      > Eddy
                      > N4ABN
                      >

                      > On 12/3/2010 7:49 AM, Phil Williams wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Hey mike...no problem. Signal looked good on...

                    • don
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 6, 2010

                        Hrd is pretty ram hungry

                        What have you got running  at the same time some settings use more ram than others .

                        I notice some waterfall setting say in the setup they use a higher cpu usage

                        Don zl1atb

                        The problem I have with HRD Deluxe is not with decoding anyone. Something is causing it to freeze during qso's

                        On 12/6/2010 9:09 AM, dl6xaz wrote:

                        Hi Phil, Eddy + Co.ltd. :-)
                        theoretically all programs - fldigi, DM780, MixW etc. - will send out proper and precise signals in those modes; there may be the one or other slight difference in receiving weak signals especially MFSK, but I noticed no difference in Contestia or Olivia. So which program you wish to use is a mere matter of personal preference.
                        Just want to leave this note: when using DominoEX under fldigi pse uncheck the FEC-box in Config-Modems as otherwise you won't be able to get a contact when the other side is using DM780 or possibly Multipsk.
                        vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

                        --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Phil Williams <ka1gmn@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks for the report. I have had good results w/ fldigi.
                        >
                        > Philw de KA1GMN
                        >
                        > On Dec 3, 2010 9:58 AM, "signalhz" <signalhz@...> wrote:
                        >

                        > I heard you here too Phil but was using DM 780. I have problems with that
                        > program. I downloaded FLDIGI a little while ago. I'm probably going to be
                        > trying to figure out how to operate it for a while.
                        >
                        > gm
                        > 73
                        > Eddy
                        > N4ABN
                        >

                        > On 12/3/2010 7:49 AM, Phil Williams wrote:
                        > >

                        > > Hey mike...no problem. Signal looked good on...

                      • Jonathan Helis KB5IAV
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 7, 2010
                          > 1a. Re: Olivia/Contestia/MFSK
                          > Posted by: "dl6xaz" dl6xaz@... dl6xaz
                          > Date: Mon Dec 6, 2010 8:09 am ((PST))
                          >
                          > Hi Phil, Eddy + Co.ltd. :-)
                          > theoretically all programs - fldigi, DM780, MixW etc. - will send out proper and precise signals in those modes; there may be the one or other slight difference in receiving weak signals especially MFSK, but I noticed no difference in Contestia or Olivia. So which program you wish to use is a mere matter of personal preference.
                          > Just want to leave this note: when using DominoEX under fldigi pse uncheck the FEC-box in Config-Modems as otherwise you won't be able to get a contact when the other side is using DM780 or possibly Multipsk.
                          > vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

                          Do those programs only do DominoEX with FEC? If so, I wasn't aware of
                          that. I've made some DominoEX QSOs without FEC, but don't remember what
                          the other stations were running.

                          I will keep that in mind next time I try to work DominoEX. Thanks for
                          the tip!

                          Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
                          Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.A.
                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 8, 2010
                            Jonathan,
                            to make it clear: DM780 does DominoEX without FEC; don't know how Multipsk handles it; MixW doesn't have the mode; FLDIGI allows for both with FEC and without FEC. So I had to find out myself why a sked of mine didn't work in the beginning when my partner worked with DM780 and I had the FEC-box checked.
                            Personally I like the FEC option because it enhances transmission quality considerably under weak condx, but we fldigi-users are a minority. Therefore my recommendation to refrain from FEC.
                            vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

                            --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Helis KB5IAV <kb5iav@...> wrote:

                            > > 1a. Re: Olivia/Contestia/MFSK
                            > > Posted by: "dl6xaz" dl6xaz@... dl6xaz
                            > > Date: Mon Dec 6, 2010 8:09 am ((PST))
                            > >
                            > > Hi Phil, Eddy + Co.ltd. :-)
                            > > theoretically all programs - fldigi, DM780, MixW etc. - will send out proper and precise signals in those modes; there may be the one or other slight difference in receiving weak signals especially MFSK, but I noticed no difference in Contestia or Olivia. So which program you wish to use is a mere matter of personal preference.
                            > > Just want to leave this note: when using DominoEX under fldigi pse uncheck the FEC-box in Config-Modems as otherwise you won't be able to get a contact when the other side is using DM780 or possibly Multipsk.
                            > > vy73 Fred DL6XAZ
                            > >

                            > Do those programs only do DominoEX with FEC? If so, I wasn't aware of
                            > that. I've made some DominoEX QSOs without FEC, but don't remember what
                            > the other stations were running.
                            >
                            > I will keep that in mind next time I try to work DominoEX. Thanks for
                            > the tip!
                            >
                            > --
                            > 73,
                            >

                            > Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
                            > Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.A.

                          • John M
                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 8, 2010
                              Hi all..

                              MultiPSK also has a button to turn on/off the FEC...The designer of DominoEX would rather have a larger value of FEC..the standard is 4 but he says 10 is much better...but the software cant be adjusted..This is were they brought in THOR..started as DominoEX added in FEC = 10 and some other changes,,,but very simliar modes.
                              The designer of DominoEX actually recommends THOR as the preferred mode.

                              John