Re: Olivia/Contestia/MFSK

  • Jonathan Helis KB5IAV
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 2, 2010
      > 2c. Re: Olivia/Contestia/MFSK Posted by: "w1mnk" w1mnk@... w1mnk Date: Wed Dec 1, 2010 6:57 pm ((PST)) Hi Jonathan, Thanks for that information. Looks like I'll shuttle between those 3 frequencies and call CQ. I'm running around QRP into a low parallel dipole, so I'm not going to be the loudest signal on the band. I have worked an Ontario station on PSK31, so I know I'm getting out. Maybe I'll see you there!! 73... Jon(athan!!) W1MNK 30MDG#0497 --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Helis KB5IAV <kb5iav@...>
      >> >
      >> > According to http://www.hflink.com/olivia, the frequencies for Olivia on
      >> > 30 are as follows:
      >> >

      >> > 10138.5 +750hz
      >> > 10141.5 +750hz
      >> > 10142.5 +750hz
      >> >
      >> > I sometimes call MFSK16 on 10.142. I don't do much Contestia, but when
      >> > I see it, it's usually in the same frequency range.
      >> >
      >> > --
      >> > 73,
      >> >

      >> > Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
      >> > Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.A.
      >> >
      >> > 30MDG#2189

      According to hflink.com, 10.142.50 +750hz is the calling frequency. If
      you haven't already, if you go to those frequencies and don't hear
      anyone, call CQ. It's a strange thing, I can sit and monitor and hear
      nothing, then I call CQ and after a few tries, I often get a response.

      What I do is call on one mode several times, then another, then another,
      until I get a response. I also turn on RSID and video ID as well for
      MFSK16, DominoEX, and the other lesser used modes. If the band is open,
      I usually will get a response sooner or later.

      Good luck and good DX

      Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
      Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.A.
    • Jon Maguire
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 3, 2010
        Jonathan,

        I'm on 10.142.5 +750 audio right now, and will be calling CQ on and off today. I hope the band cooperates. Thank you for your help and advice.

        73... Jon W1MNK-

        On 12/2/2010 9:27 PM, Jonathan Helis KB5IAV wrote:

        > 2c. Re: Olivia/Contestia/MFSK Posted by: "w1mnk" w1mnk@... w1mnk Date: Wed Dec 1, 2010 6:57 pm ((PST)) Hi Jonathan, Thanks for that information. Looks like I'll shuttle between those 3 frequencies and call CQ. I'm running around QRP into a low parallel dipole, so I'm not going to be the loudest signal on the band. I have worked an Ontario station on PSK31, so I know I'm getting out. Maybe I'll see you there!! 73... Jon(athan!!) W1MNK 30MDG#0497 --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Helis KB5IAV <kb5iav@...>
        >> >
        >> > According to http://www.hflink.com/olivia, the frequencies for Olivia on
        >> > 30 are as follows:
        >> >

        >> > 10138.5 +750hz
        >> > 10141.5 +750hz
        >> > 10142.5 +750hz
        >> >
        >> > I sometimes call MFSK16 on 10.142. I don't do much Contestia, but when
        >> > I see it, it's usually in the same frequency range.
        >> >
        >> > --
        >> > 73,
        >> >

        >> > Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
        >> > Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.A.
        >> >
        >> > 30MDG#2189

        According to hflink.com, 10.142.50 +750hz is the calling frequency. If
        you haven't already, if you go to those frequencies and don't hear
        anyone, call CQ. It's a strange thing, I can sit and monitor and hear
        nothing, then I call CQ and after a few tries, I often get a response.

        What I do is call on one mode several times, then another, then another,
        until I get a response. I also turn on RSID and video ID as well for
        MFSK16, DominoEX, and the other lesser used modes. If the band is open,
        I usually will get a response sooner or later.

        Good luck and good DX

        Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
        Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.A.

      • Phil Williams
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 3, 2010
          hey jon...calling on olivia 16/500 @ 10.142 + 750 +/- QRM.

          On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 7:28 AM, Jon Maguire <w1mnk@...> wrote:

          Jonathan,

          I'm on 10.142.5 +750 audio right now, and will be calling CQ on and off today. I hope the band cooperates. Thank you for your help and advice.

          73... Jon W1MNK-

          On 12/2/2010 9:27 PM, Jonathan Helis KB5IAV wrote:

          > 2c. Re: Olivia/Contestia/MFSK Posted by: "w1mnk" w1mnk@... w1mnk Date: Wed Dec 1, 2010 6:57 pm ((PST)) Hi Jonathan, Thanks for that information. Looks like I'll shuttle between those 3 frequencies and call CQ. I'm running around QRP into a low parallel dipole, so I'm not going to be the loudest signal on the band. I have worked an Ontario station on PSK31, so I know I'm getting out. Maybe I'll see you there!! 73... Jon(athan!!) W1MNK 30MDG#0497 --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Helis KB5IAV <kb5iav@...>
          >> >
          >> > According to http://www.hflink.com/olivia, the frequencies for Olivia on
          >> > 30 are as follows:
          >> >

          >> > 10138.5 +750hz
          >> > 10141.5 +750hz
          >> > 10142.5 +750hz
          >> >
          >> > I sometimes call MFSK16 on 10.142. I don't do much Contestia, but when
          >> > I see it, it's usually in the same frequency range.
          >> >
          >> > --
          >> > 73,
          >> >

          >> > Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
          >> > Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.A.
          >> >
          >> > 30MDG#2189

          According to hflink.com, 10.142.50 +750hz is the calling frequency. If
          you haven't already, if you go to those frequencies and don't hear
          anyone, call CQ. It's a strange thing, I can sit and monitor and hear
          nothing, then I call CQ and after a few tries, I often get a response.

          What I do is call on one mode several times, then another, then another,
          until I get a response. I also turn on RSID and video ID as well for
          MFSK16, DominoEX, and the other lesser used modes. If the band is open,
          I usually will get a response sooner or later.

          Good luck and good DX

          Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
          Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.A.

          --
          Philw de KA1GMN
        • k9jri@att.net
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 3, 2010
            I am listening right now and hear nothing. I am i Indianapolis, IN

            EM69xw

            73 - Mike - K9JRI

            --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Phil Williams <ka1gmn@...> wrote:

            > hey jon...calling on olivia 16/500 @ 10.142 + 750 +/- QRM.
            >
            > On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 7:28 AM, Jon Maguire <w1mnk@...> wrote:
            >

            > > Jonathan,
            > >
            > > I'm on 10.142.5 +750 audio right now, and will be calling CQ on and off
            > > today. I hope the band cooperates. Thank you for your help and advice.
            > >
            > > 73... Jon W1MNK-
            > >

            > > On 12/2/2010 9:27 PM, Jonathan Helis KB5IAV wrote:
            > >

            > > > 2c. Re: Olivia/Contestia/MFSK Posted by: "w1mnk" w1mnk@...<w1mnk%40tampabay.rr.com>w1mnk Date: Wed Dec 1, 2010 6:57 pm ((PST)) Hi Jonathan, Thanks for that
            > > information. Looks like I'll shuttle between those 3 frequencies and call
            > > CQ. I'm running around QRP into a low parallel dipole, so I'm not going to
            > > be the loudest signal on the band. I have worked an Ontario station on
            > > PSK31, so I know I'm getting out. Maybe I'll see you there!! 73...
            > > Jon(athan!!) W1MNK 30MDG#0497 --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com<30MDG%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > > Jonathan Helis KB5IAV <kb5iav@> <kb5iav@>

            > > on

            > > According to hflink.com, 10.142.50 +750hz is the calling frequency. If
            > > you haven't already, if you go to those frequencies and don't hear
            > > anyone, call CQ. It's a strange thing, I can sit and monitor and hear
            > > nothing, then I call CQ and after a few tries, I often get a response.
            > >
            > > What I do is call on one mode several times, then another, then another,
            > > until I get a response. I also turn on RSID and video ID as well for
            > > MFSK16, DominoEX, and the other lesser used modes. If the band is open,
            > > I usually will get a response sooner or later.
            > >
            > > Good luck and good DX
            > >
            > > --
            > > 73,
            > >
            > > Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
            > > Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.A.
            > >

            > --
            > Philw de KA1GMN

          • Phil Williams
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 3, 2010
              CQ CQ CQ de K9JRI K9JRI K9JRI
              pse K

              --
              Philw de KA1GMN
            • k9jri@att.net
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 3, 2010
                I copied you perfectly Phil. I had just installed MixW 2.20 onto Windows on my Mac nini and had not set up any of my favorite macros yet. I was really surprised when you answered my 2.5 watt CQ.

                Thanks for the report. I will be better prepared next time.

                The setup is a SWL PSK-30, 2.5 watts PEP into a 40M dipole fed with 300 ohm line.

                73 and thanks again

              • Phil Williams
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 3, 2010

                  Hey mike...no problem.  Signal looked good on this end.

                  Philw de KA1GMN

                  On Dec 3, 2010 8:47 AM, "k9jri@..." <k9jri@...> wrote:

                  I copied you perfectly Phil. I had just installed MixW 2.20 onto Windows on my Mac nini and had not set up any of my favorite macros yet. I was really surprised when you answered my 2.5 watt CQ.

                  Thanks for the report. I will be better prepared next time.

                  The setup is a SWL PSK-30, 2.5 watts PEP into a 40M dipole fed with 300 ohm line.

                  73 and thanks again

                  Mike - K9JRI

                  --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Phil Williams <ka1gmn@...> wrote:

                  > CQ CQ CQ de K9JRI K9JRI K9JRI
                  > pse K
                  >

                  > On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 8:32 AM, k9jri@... <k9jri@...> wrote:
                  >

                  > > I am listening rig...

                  > > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com <30MDG%40yahoogroups.com>, Phil Williams

                  > > <ka1gmn@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > hey jon...calling on olivia 16/500 @ 10.142 + 750 +/- QRM.

                • signalhz
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 3, 2010
                    I heard you here too Phil but was using DM 780. I have problems with that program. I downloaded FLDIGI a little while ago. I'm probably going to be trying to figure out how to operate it for a while.

                    gm
                    73
                    Eddy
                    N4ABN

                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 3, 2010

                      Thanks for the report.  I have had good results w/ fldigi.

                      Philw de KA1GMN

                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 6, 2010
                        Hi Phil, Eddy + Co.ltd. :-)
                        theoretically all programs - fldigi, DM780, MixW etc. - will send out proper and precise signals in those modes; there may be the one or other slight difference in receiving weak signals especially MFSK, but I noticed no difference in Contestia or Olivia. So which program you wish to use is a mere matter of personal preference.
                        Just want to leave this note: when using DominoEX under fldigi pse uncheck the FEC-box in Config-Modems as otherwise you won't be able to get a contact when the other side is using DM780 or possibly Multipsk.
                        vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 6, 2010
                          The problem I have with HRD Deluxe is not with decoding anyone. Something is causing it to freeze during qso's

                          On 12/6/2010 9:09 AM, dl6xaz wrote:

                          Hi Phil, Eddy + Co.ltd. :-)
                          theoretically all programs - fldigi, DM780, MixW etc. - will send out proper and precise signals in those modes; there may be the one or other slight difference in receiving weak signals especially MFSK, but I noticed no difference in Contestia or Olivia. So which program you wish to use is a mere matter of personal preference.
                          Just want to leave this note: when using DominoEX under fldigi pse uncheck the FEC-box in Config-Modems as otherwise you won't be able to get a contact when the other side is using DM780 or possibly Multipsk.
                          vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

                          --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Phil Williams <ka1gmn@...> wrote:

                          > Thanks for the report. I have had good results w/ fldigi.
                          >
                          > Philw de KA1GMN
                          >
                          > On Dec 3, 2010 9:58 AM, "signalhz" <signalhz@...> wrote:
                          >

                          > I heard you here too Phil but was using DM 780. I have problems with that
                          > program. I downloaded FLDIGI a little while ago. I'm probably going to be
                          > trying to figure out how to operate it for a while.
                          >
                          > gm
                          > 73
                          > Eddy
                          > N4ABN
                          >

                          > On 12/3/2010 7:49 AM, Phil Williams wrote:
                          > >

                          > > Hey mike...no problem. Signal looked good on...

                        • don
                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 6, 2010

                            Hrd is pretty ram hungry

                            What have you got running  at the same time some settings use more ram than others .

                            I notice some waterfall setting say in the setup they use a higher cpu usage

                            Don zl1atb

                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 7, 2010
                              > 1a. Re: Olivia/Contestia/MFSK
                              > Posted by: "dl6xaz" dl6xaz@... dl6xaz
                              > Date: Mon Dec 6, 2010 8:09 am ((PST))
                              >
                              > Hi Phil, Eddy + Co.ltd. :-)
                              > theoretically all programs - fldigi, DM780, MixW etc. - will send out proper and precise signals in those modes; there may be the one or other slight difference in receiving weak signals especially MFSK, but I noticed no difference in Contestia or Olivia. So which program you wish to use is a mere matter of personal preference.
                              > Just want to leave this note: when using DominoEX under fldigi pse uncheck the FEC-box in Config-Modems as otherwise you won't be able to get a contact when the other side is using DM780 or possibly Multipsk.
                              > vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

                              Do those programs only do DominoEX with FEC? If so, I wasn't aware of
                              that. I've made some DominoEX QSOs without FEC, but don't remember what
                              the other stations were running.

                              I will keep that in mind next time I try to work DominoEX. Thanks for
                              the tip!

                              Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
                              Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.A.
                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 8, 2010
                                Jonathan,
                                to make it clear: DM780 does DominoEX without FEC; don't know how Multipsk handles it; MixW doesn't have the mode; FLDIGI allows for both with FEC and without FEC. So I had to find out myself why a sked of mine didn't work in the beginning when my partner worked with DM780 and I had the FEC-box checked.
                                Personally I like the FEC option because it enhances transmission quality considerably under weak condx, but we fldigi-users are a minority. Therefore my recommendation to refrain from FEC.
                                vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

                                --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Helis KB5IAV <kb5iav@...> wrote:

                                > > 1a. Re: Olivia/Contestia/MFSK
                                > > Posted by: "dl6xaz" dl6xaz@... dl6xaz
                                > > Date: Mon Dec 6, 2010 8:09 am ((PST))
                                > >
                                > > Hi Phil, Eddy + Co.ltd. :-)
                                > > theoretically all programs - fldigi, DM780, MixW etc. - will send out proper and precise signals in those modes; there may be the one or other slight difference in receiving weak signals especially MFSK, but I noticed no difference in Contestia or Olivia. So which program you wish to use is a mere matter of personal preference.
                                > > Just want to leave this note: when using DominoEX under fldigi pse uncheck the FEC-box in Config-Modems as otherwise you won't be able to get a contact when the other side is using DM780 or possibly Multipsk.
                                > > vy73 Fred DL6XAZ
                                > >

                                > Do those programs only do DominoEX with FEC? If so, I wasn't aware of
                                > that. I've made some DominoEX QSOs without FEC, but don't remember what
                                > the other stations were running.
                                >
                                > I will keep that in mind next time I try to work DominoEX. Thanks for
                                > the tip!
                                >
                                > --
                                > 73,
                                >

                                > Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
                                > Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.A.

                              • John M
                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 8, 2010
                                  Hi all..

                                  MultiPSK also has a button to turn on/off the FEC...The designer of DominoEX would rather have a larger value of FEC..the standard is 4 but he says 10 is much better...but the software cant be adjusted..This is were they brought in THOR..started as DominoEX added in FEC = 10 and some other changes,,,but very simliar modes.
                                  The designer of DominoEX actually recommends THOR as the preferred mode.

                                  John