Re: [30MDG] Re: 30 MDG Member Weekend

  • Phil Williams
    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 5, 2010
      Excellent idea!

      On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 8:51 PM, jfreeman63 <jfreeman63@...> wrote:

      Let's do some SSTV.

      Jay - WT9S

      --
      Philw de KA1GMN
    • jfreeman63
      Message 2 of 28 , Nov 5, 2010
        A couple of hours from now sound good? :)

        --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Phil Williams <ka1gmn@...> wrote:

        > Excellent idea!
        >
        > On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 8:51 PM, jfreeman63 <jfreeman63@...> wrote:
        >

        > > Let's do some SSTV.
        > >
        > > Jay - WT9S
        > >

        > > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com <30MDG%40yahoogroups.com>, Phil Williams
        > > <ka1gmn@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Some of us have notice a slight tapering off on the typical digital
        > > activity
        > > > on 30 meters. I think there has been somewhat of a shift to JT65A here in
        > > > the States.
        > > >
        > > > This is 30 MDG Member weekend. What a can we do to have more activity on
        > > 30
        > > > meters this weekend?
        > > >
        > > > Don KB9UMT brought up the idea of using JASON this weekend. There are
        > > other
        > > > options. Are there modes that some of you are interesting in that you
        > > would
        > > > like to give a try?
        > > >
        > > > --
        > > > Philw de KA1GMN
        > > >

        > --
        > Philw de KA1GMN

      • Phil Williams
        Message 3 of 28 , Nov 5, 2010
          Sounds good to me.

          --
          Philw de KA1GMN
        • jfreeman63
          Message 4 of 28 , Nov 5, 2010
            On the air, 10.132 MP73-N.

            --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Phil Williams <ka1gmn@...> wrote:

            > Sounds good to me.
            >
            > On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 9:16 PM, jfreeman63 <jfreeman63@...> wrote:
            >

            > > A couple of hours from now sound good? :)
            > >

            > > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com <30MDG%40yahoogroups.com>, Phil Williams
            > > <ka1gmn@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Excellent idea!

            > > 40yahoogroups.com>, Phil Williams

            > > here in

            > > on

            > > > --
            > > > Philw de KA1GMN
            > > >

            > --
            > Philw de KA1GMN

          • signalhz
            Message 5 of 28 , Nov 5, 2010
              Hi Alberto,

              I just woke up and read your email.

              Downloaded, installed and program opened that time. Thank you.

              I have heard of the Jason program for a couple of years but it never came on for me in the past.  I will try to make some qsos with it this weekend.

              73
              Eddy
              N4ABN

              On 11/5/2010 4:58 PM, adibene wrote:

              --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, signalhz <signalhz@...> wrote:

              > Whatever mode is working the best? I installed Jason but it's not
              > working. If the programmer would put a fix on his website I would use it.
              >
              > 73
              > Eddy
              > N4ABN

              I have been alerted of the bug in Jason, and I have just amended it.
              First tests give positive results.

              Please re-download the package from my website
              http://www.weaksignals.com

              Make sure that your browser hasn't cached the old version.
              And please report of any malfunctions, thanks.

              73 Alberto I2PHD
              .

              Message 6 of 28 , Nov 6, 2010
                Alberto I2PHD,

                Thank you Alberto for joining in our 30MDG Group here. It is nice to have the creator of Jason in the group and if you see message posts about Jason please feel free to respond (we are new to the Jason software and mode so I'm sure there will be questions that you might be able to answer). Thanks again.

                Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001
                www.30mdg.net

                --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "adibene" <adibene@...> wrote:

                > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, signalhz <signalhz@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Whatever mode is working the best? I installed Jason but it's not
                > > working. If the programmer would put a fix on his website I would use it.
                > >
                > > 73
                > > Eddy
                > > N4ABN
                >
                > I have been alerted of the bug in Jason, and I have just amended it.
                > First tests give positive results.
                >
                > Please re-download the package from my website
                > http://www.weaksignals.com
                >
                > Make sure that your browser hasn't cached the old version.
                > And please report of any malfunctions, thanks.
                >
                > 73 Alberto I2PHD
                > .

              • Joe Brown
                Message 7 of 28 , Nov 6, 2010
                  I plan to operate MFSK-16 and or Contestia (various tones and bandwidth) over the weekend. I'll be on or above 10142.500 or above.
                  73 – Joe W2JLB

                  Message 8 of 28 , Nov 6, 2010
                    Alberto I2PHD,

                    Just wondering if you can help us out get started on your Jason mode. Is there any other documentation on this mode? Any hints about using the software or mode?

                    Your new version you have listed is this for XP and Vista only? Just wondering because I have an different version from a year or two ago that is V099 but it has a somewhat different look at the top (J/W? in right corner not there). I downloaded V099 on another PC but can't get any decode using the same settings....speed: Fast Turbo OFF I'm within the tone area of the signal but no decode. Any help much appreciated (you can reply here or direct also KB9UMT AT ARRL.NET )

                    Thanks to Phil for giving it a go this morning but I think Phil decoded me but no decode here (maybe I need to update to the newer version Alberto has mentioned...using XP on all pc in the shack here).

                    Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001
                    www.30mdg.net

                    --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "adibene" <adibene@...> wrote:

                    > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, signalhz <signalhz@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Whatever mode is working the best? I installed Jason but it's not
                    > > working. If the programmer would put a fix on his website I would use it.
                    > >
                    > > 73
                    > > Eddy
                    > > N4ABN
                    >
                    > I have been alerted of the bug in Jason, and I have just amended it.
                    > First tests give positive results.
                    >
                    > Please re-download the package from my website
                    > http://www.weaksignals.com
                    >
                    > Make sure that your browser hasn't cached the old version.
                    > And please report of any malfunctions, thanks.
                    >
                    > 73 Alberto I2PHD
                    > .

                  • Phil Williams
                    Message 9 of 28 , Nov 6, 2010
                      I was able to decode Don with no issue.  I am running XP Pro and using the internal sound card on a Fujtisu Lifebook.  I generally do not have issues with any of the ham radio digital modes that I run;

                      Fldigi

                      Multipsk

                      CMSK Client - had to calibrate my sound card on this one.

                      MSSTV

                      WSPR

                      JT65-HF

                      WSTJ9

                      I think part of Don's and my problem is my old rig - an IC-745.  It drifts a bit and the TX/RX frequencies are not exactly the same.

                      I am hoping that someone else can try a test with Don and see if the results are any different.

                      Phil de ka1gmn

                      --
                      Philw de KA1GMN
                    • signalhz
                      Message 10 of 28 , Nov 6, 2010
                        Phil I can't get it to transmit. I'm using XP Home with SignaLink USB external sound card. Last night I got it to key the radio one time. After that it wouldn't work again. I've tried everything I could think of.

                        73
                        Eddy
                        N4ABN

                        --
                        Philw de KA1GMN
                        Message 11 of 28 , Nov 6, 2010
                          Phil,
                          As I recall now that you have mentioned it when we were testing on CMSK ( http://www.qsl.net/zl1bpu/CMSK/cmsk.htm ) I had to adjust my sample rate. I wonder if I use the internal soundcard and not the signalink if that might help or be the issue? Might have to try that and see on our next try.

                          Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001
                          www.30mdg.net

                          Message 12 of 28 , Nov 6, 2010

                            de kb9umt Don 30mdg#0001
                            www.30mdg.net

                            --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "jfreeman63" <jfreeman63@...> wrote:

                            > On the air, 10.132 MP73-N.
                            >
                            > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Phil Williams <ka1gmn@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Sounds good to me.
                            > >
                            > > On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 9:16 PM, jfreeman63 <jfreeman63@> wrote:
                            > >

                            > > > A couple of hours from now sound good? :)
                            > > >

                            > > > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com <30MDG%40yahoogroups.com>, Phil Williams

                            > > > 40yahoogroups.com>, Phil Williams

                            > > > here in

                            > > > on

                            > > --
                            > > Philw de KA1GMN

                          • ON3AD
                            Message 13 of 28 , Nov 6, 2010
                              I have install JASON, and my TRX going in TX but without power also TX with NO PWR
                              I use Windows 7 (32 bits) with the Micro KEYER II and the IC-703.

                              I have set the port 3 but I use with the Micro KEYER II only virtual ports , is that my problem of no power ??

                              73 de Pat, ON3AD

                            • Phil Williams
                              Message 14 of 28 , Nov 6, 2010
                                Oh, an omission on my part.  I am using the VOX function on the rig as the COM port I use for the PTT is out of range on the available list of COM ports offered by Jason.

                                phil de ka1gmn

                                --
                                Philw de KA1GMN

                                --
                                Philw de KA1GMN
                              • AdB
                                Message 15 of 28 , Nov 6, 2010
                                  On 11/6/2010 9:17 PM, Don wrote:

                                  Alberto I2PHD,

                                  Just wondering if you can help us out get started on your Jason mode.

                                  Is there any other documentation on this mode? Any hints about using the software or mode?

                                  Hi Don,

                                     the only documentation that exists is that found at my Web site. The PDF can be downloaded by clicking this link :

                                  http://www.sdrham.com/jason/jason_technotes.pdf

                                  It should contain enough info to make you start using the mode.

                                  Your new version you have listed is this for XP and Vista only? Just wondering because I have an different version from a year or two ago that is V099 but it has a somewhat different look at the top (J/W? in right corner not there). I downloaded V099 on another PC but can't get any decode using the same settings....speed: Fast Turbo OFF I'm within the tone area of the signal but no decode. Any help much appreciated (you can reply here or direct also KB9UMT AT ARRL.NET )

                                  Please discard any older versions. Use only the package I have just re-uploaded to my Web site. I haven't tested it under Vista or 7, but I don't
                                  see any reasons why it shouldn't work with these two opsys. Should it have problems, it is always possible to try to run it in Win XP compatibility
                                  mode.

                                  Thanks to Phil for giving it a go this morning but I think Phil decoded me but no decode here
                                  (maybe I need to update to the newer version Alberto has mentioned...using XP on all pc in the shack here).

                                  Please read the frequency stability requirements reported in the technical document. Jason was originally born for use on LF and VLF,
                                  where achieving a stability of only a few Hz is rather easy. On the HF maybe it is a bit more difficult. If the TX or the RX do not have the stability
                                  reported in the tech. doc there aren't many chances to have a correct decode....

                                  73  Alberto  I2PHD

                                • signalhz
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Nov 6, 2010
                                    I finally got it transmitting again. It works without choosing a port. I have to pick audio out to get it to transmit. Not sure why it don't work when I pick a port.

                                    I can't decode anyone. I am trying to decode KB9UMT but so far a no go.

                                    I couldn't begin to help anyone to operate this mode.

                                    73
                                    Eddy
                                    N4ABN

                                  • AdB
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Nov 6, 2010
                                      On 11/6/2010 10:54 PM, ON3AD wrote:
                                      I have install JASON, and my TRX going in TX but without power also TX with NO PWR
                                      I use Windows 7 (32 bits) with the Micro KEYER II and the IC-703.

                                      I have set the port 3 but I use with the Micro KEYER II only virtual ports , is that my problem of no power ??

                                      73 de Pat, ON3AD
                                      Pat,

                                         I don't know the Micro Keyer II, so I don't know what it does. But you mention port 3, which makes me suppose you
                                      intend the serial port COM3. Jason is meant to be used with a serial port only if you have a DDS board connected to that
                                      port, which generates the audio tones upon receiving the serial stream from Jason.

                                      Lacking it, you must use the audio port :

                                      http://www.sdradio.eu/images/jas1.gif

                                      With this choice, Jason will generate audio tones through the sound card, which you will send to you TX, taking care of not overloading it.

                                      73  Alberto  I2PHD

                                    • signalhz

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Nov 6, 2010
                                          Hi Alberto I2PHD,

                                          Many thanks for joining in with us and the help on your Jason mode (you have other nice goodies I see also on your site).

                                          So far I have read all the documentation...reloaded the new version from your site on 2 pc's using XP...have an Icom IC756ProII and YaesuFT920 to both pc/programs using JASON mode but I can't get this to work at all..no decode no matter the settings of soundcard levels. Now one on my main shack pc I can't even get the tx and rx center frequency to change...the tx is in read and on 1.000 and will not allow me to enter 800.00 or anything else. I do thank you for the help and maybe I will try another time but for now I'm all tried out after hours of trying. Thank you and you can email me direct KB9UMT AT ARRL.NET if you might have another suggestion but I would think with what I would call 2 good stable rigs side by side with proper levels I would be able to decode while testing...even on the air no luck for me either but again thank you and it looks interesting.

                                          Phil and Eddy...giving up on the JASON mode until we might know more on it because I have invested hours this afteroon with no luck.

                                          Thanks
                                          Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001
                                          www.30mdg.net

                                          --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, AdB <adibene@...> wrote:

                                          > On 11/6/2010 9:17 PM, Don wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > /Alberto I2PHD,
                                          > >
                                          > > Just wondering if you can help us out get started on your Jason mode. / /
                                          > > Is there any other documentation on this mode? Any hints about using the software or mode? /
                                          > >
                                          > Hi Don,
                                          >
                                          > the only documentation that exists is that found at my Web site. The PDF can be downloaded by clicking this link :
                                          >
                                          > http://www.sdrham.com/jason/jason_technotes.pdf
                                          >
                                          > It should contain enough info to make you start using the mode.
                                          >
                                          > > /Your new version you have listed is this for XP and Vista only? Just wondering because I have an different version
                                          > > from a year or two ago that is V099 but it has a somewhat different look at the top (J/W? in right corner not there).
                                          > > I downloaded V099 on another PC but can't get any decode using the same settings....speed: Fast Turbo OFF I'm within
                                          > > the tone area of the signal but no decode. Any help much appreciated (you can reply here or direct also KB9UMT AT
                                          > > ARRL.NET )/
                                          > >
                                          > Please discard any older versions. Use only the package I have just re-uploaded to my Web site. I haven't tested it
                                          > under Vista or 7, but I don't
                                          > see any reasons why it shouldn't work with these two opsys. Should it have problems, it is always possible to try to run
                                          > it in Win XP compatibility
                                          > mode.
                                          >
                                          > > /Thanks to Phil for giving it a go this morning but I think Phil decoded me but no decode here
                                          > > (maybe I need to update to the newer version Alberto has mentioned...using XP on all pc in the shack here)./
                                          > >
                                          > Please read the frequency stability requirements reported in the technical document. Jason was originally born for use
                                          > on LF and VLF,
                                          > where achieving a stability of only a few Hz is rather easy. On the HF maybe it is a bit more difficult. If the TX or
                                          > the RX do not have the stability
                                          > reported in the tech. doc there aren't many chances to have a correct decode....
                                          >
                                          > 73 Alberto I2PHD

                                        • ON3AD
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Nov 7, 2010
                                            Hi Alberto,

                                            Thanks for your answer, but the problem is that I haven't COM ports on my PC.
                                            I use Virtuel COM ports with my externe soundcard the Micro KEYER II (USB soundcard).
                                            So I think that 'JASON' won't work with my computer?

                                            73 de Pat, ON3AD
                                            --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, AdB <adibene@...> wrote:

                                            > On 11/6/2010 10:54 PM, ON3AD wrote:
                                            > > /I have install JASON, and my TRX going in TX but without power also TX with NO PWR
                                            > > I use Windows 7 (32 bits) with the Micro KEYER II and the IC-703.
                                            > >
                                            > > I have set the port 3 but I use with the Micro KEYER II only virtual ports , is that my problem of no power ??/ /
                                            > >
                                            > > 73 de Pat, ON3AD/
                                            > Pat,
                                            >
                                            > I don't know the Micro Keyer II, so I don't know what it does. But you mention port 3, which makes me suppose you
                                            > intend the serial port COM3. Jason is meant to be used with a serial port only if you have a DDS board connected to that
                                            > port, which generates the audio tones upon receiving the serial stream from Jason.
                                            >
                                            > Lacking it, you must use the audio port :
                                            >
                                            > http://www.sdradio.eu/images/jas1.gif
                                            >
                                            > With this choice, Jason will generate audio tones through the sound card, which you will send to you TX, taking care of
                                            > not overloading it.
                                            >
                                            > 73 Alberto I2PHD

                                          • AdB
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Nov 7, 2010
                                              On 11/7/2010 11:22 PM, ON3AD wrote:
                                              Thanks for your answer, but the problem is that I haven't COM ports on my PC.
                                              I use Virtuel COM ports with my externe soundcard the Micro KEYER II (USB soundcard).
                                              So I think that 'JASON' won't work with my computer?
                                              Pat,

                                                 Jason uses the serial ports only when you want to drive an external DDS board, that in turn will generate
                                              the signal to be transmitted. The reason for this is that on the LF and VLF this was a common technique
                                              as there are no commercial rigs capable of transmitting on the 137 kHz ham band.

                                              To use Jason with a commercial rig on the 30 meter band, you just set it for Audio Output, then you feed the
                                              audio generated from the sound card to the Mic input of your transceiver, taking care of the level.
                                              No serial ports are needed nor used. The T/R switch must be done with VOX.

                                              That's all.

                                              73  Alberto  I2PHD

                                            • Siegfried Jackstien
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Nov 9, 2010

                                                Hello alberto

                                                First of all … many thanks for your great software(s) …

                                                Would it be possible to implement ptt switching via rs232 (rts) like it is done in so many other software ???

                                                Many transceivers do not work with vox if you use the acc connector at the back … so for using Jason with vox I have to disconnect all cables at the trx back side and reconnect them on the frontpanel …. So if you could implement ptt in the soft that would be nice

                                                In the menue it should be selectable if you wanna control the qrg direct via rs232 (like already done in your soft) of if you wanna send audio via sound card and use the rs232 only for tx/rx switching

                                                Tnx fer ur time

                                                73

                                                Dg9bfc

                                                Sigi

                                                Ps should also work via usb / serial converter or on virtual com port