Re: [30MDG] JASON

  • signalhz
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 4, 2010
      I downloaded and installed Jason on my WindowsXP operating system. It would not work.

      WSPR is only a beacon program. The WSPR program is not a qso. However in the WSJT7 program there is a WSPR mode one can use and have a qso. It works similar to JT65A and the other modes but takes 2 minutes per transmission sequence. 2 min tx 2 min rx... It may take a while to have a qso.

      73
      Eddy
      N4ABN

      On 11/4/2010 7:17 AM, obie47165 wrote:

      This JASON, it seems I have never heard of it, but what frequency on 30 meters does one use it on, also WSPR the whisper mode, I have been looking at, and it seems simple enough since little or no work involved, will download both if we get time today, and listen for activity..what power for JASON...on WSJR 1 watt will be the normal to start with, looks interesting.

      POB/K8LEN

    • obie47165
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 6, 2010
        I downloaded JASON, shows receive, but on transmit, it doesn't work...I am not sure if it is set up for sound card or what, but just use soundcard transmit programs....perhaps it isn't a soundcard program....
        POB/K8LEN
      • AdB
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 6, 2010
          On 11/6/2010 11:44 PM, obie47165 wrote:
          I am not sure if it is set up for sound card or what, but just use soundcard transmit programs....perhaps it isn't a soundcard program....
          Yes, it is. Please read the technical documentation.

          73  Alberto  I2PHD

        • Don Ginter
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 6, 2010
            how do you rest the config file and where is it, iget ( INVALID DATA TYPE FOR "CONFIG_LAST_USED")
            thanks
            kc2ck

            I am not sure if it is set up for sound card or what, but just use soundcard transmit programs....perhaps it isn't a soundcard program....
            Yes, it is. Please read the technical documentation.

            73  Alberto  I2PHD

          • Waynesargeant
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 6, 2010
              Is Jason a new mode??de 2e0wds

              Wayne.

              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 6, 2010
                Hi Wayne 2e0wds,

                Not really new but I think back a few years ago Sholto tried this mode but I can't remember if he had any luck with it (I might try to search the 30MDG Yahoo message posts here to see if I can find that when they tried testing it back when..2008?).

                Here is the site for JASON:

                http://www.weaksignals.com/

                Thanks
                Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001
                www.30mdg.net

                --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Waynesargeant <waynesargeant@...> wrote:

                > Is Jason a new mode??de 2e0wds
                >
                > Wayne.
                >
                > On 6 Nov 2010, at 22:44, "obie47165" <obie47165@...> wrote:
                >
                > > I downloaded JASON, shows receive, but on transmit, it doesn't work...I am not sure if it is set up for sound card or what, but just use soundcard transmit programs....perhaps it isn't a soundcard program....
                > > POB/K8LEN

              • David
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 6, 2010
                  Hi Alll......Jason will load and i think work on Ubuntu 10.10 under Wine...there may be an initial problem with the
                  TX Comport ....will have to do some more work on that...
                  looks interesting....

                  73 David VK4BDJ

                  On 07/11/10 10:26, Don wrote:

                  Hi Wayne 2e0wds,

                  Not really new but I think back a few years ago Sholto tried this mode but I can't remember if he had any luck with it (I might try to search the 30MDG Yahoo message posts here to see if I can find that when they tried testing it back when..2008?).

                  Here is the site for JASON:

                  http://www.weaksignals.com/

                  Thanks
                  Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001
                  www.30mdg.net

                  --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Waynesargeant <waynesargeant@...> wrote:

                  > Is Jason a new mode??de 2e0wds
                  >
                  > Wayne.
                  >
                  > On 6 Nov 2010, at 22:44, "obie47165" <obie47165@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > I downloaded JASON, shows receive, but on transmit, it doesn't work...I am not sure if it is set up for sound card or what, but just use soundcard transmit programs....perhaps it isn't a soundcard program....
                  > > POB/K8LEN

                • Siegfried Jackstien
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 7, 2010

                    No …. About 8-10 years old (as far as i know) ….

                    It is a wek signal mode written for 136 kcs (but works on 30m too) ….. very slow .. like qrss

                    Speed about 2.5 characters per minute

                    So very very slow

                    Dg9bfc

                    sigi

                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 7, 2010
                      I was just reading a forum entry on another forum that there are 2 JASON programs JASON and Turbo Jason, anyhow it works great, the chap was on 10 meters yesterday working Russians and some DL station on this mode...got to get it working.

                      POB/K8LEN
                    • AdB
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 7, 2010
                        On 11/7/2010 4:31 PM, obie47165 wrote:
                        I was just reading a forum entry on another forum that there are 2 JASON programs JASON and Turbo Jason,
                        anyhow it works great, the chap was on 10 meters yesterday working Russians and some DL station on this mode...got to get it working.
                        They are not two different programs... if the S/N ratio is not really low, you can set Jason on Turbo mode, increasing its speed.
                        It is one of the choices available under "Options".

                        On 11/7/2010 1:23 AM, Don wrote:
                        I can't even get the tx and rx center frequency to change...the tx is in read and on 1.000 and will not allow me to enter 800.00 or anything else.
                        Don, to change the Tx or the Rx center frequency, you just start Jason, then you click on the "Center frequencies.." choice :

                        https://ec.yimg.com/ec?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sdradio.eu%2Fimages%2Fjas2.gif&t=1500869557&sig=4Z2ktk_kc2f5B.hIBSiNAA--~C

                        Then you enter the new value(s) and click on Ok :

                        https://ec.yimg.com/ec?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sdradio.eu%2Fimages%2Fjas3.gif&t=1500869557&sig=P86Q.qTM3NObqruIkwVBaQ--~C

                        As mentioned by others, Jason is a weaksignal mode, and as such very slow. When you want to dig into the noise you must
                        go very slow, it is a law of the physics... The speed of Jason, in normal mode, is about 2.5 char/minute, nothing comparable to
                        RTTY or PSK31.... Jason was born for use on the 137 kHz band, where successful attempts were made to cross the Atlantic
                        with 1 mW ERP.... and where the mostly used mode is the QRSS, slow CW, with a dot duration up to 60 seconds and beyond...
                        Jason compares favorably, in terms of speed, with QRSS, but certainly cannot compete with PSK31 or the likes. But it allows
                        QSOs with S/N ratios much lower than that possible with that mode.

                        73  Alberto  I2PHD

                      • obie47165
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 7, 2010
                          OK with a bit of reading the group and seeing what others did, I got it working, I did have a loud tone on my outboard spkr<just set to high>, and found out don't pick a com port and it WORKED.
                          Now what frequency<window> do you ops hang on on JASON.

                          WSPR is next and frequency<WINDOW> on that would be appreciated.

                          POB/K8LEN
                        • Johnny Johnny Be Quick Computer Repair

                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 8, 2010
                              Gentlemen

                              For WSPR on 30 m, you need to set your carrier frequency to 10.1387, USB. WSPR signals will then appear centred on 1.5 KHz audio - on my softrock I set the sub-receiver to 1250 to 1750 Hz above the carrier. The WSPR band is only about 300 Hz wide, so I fear you may have been in the wrong place :-(

                              73

                              --David G8SQH

                              --
                              <djch-yahoo@...>