When is everyone on? (psk31)

  • w6qe.milt
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 29, 2010
      Good morning...
      I've been cq'ing every morning between 1200 & 1245Z at 10.140 +1000 and not getting any responses.
      I've checked in the evenings, between 0200 and 0400Z. Not much activity on my waterfall.
      Is it me?
      When is everyone on?...When is someone on? Hi Hi
      Milt.
      W6QE
      30MDG #403
      070-650
    • signalhz
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 29, 2010
        Hi Milt,

        You can check the hamspots website to see what band , qrg and time others are on
        and modes.
        73
        Eddy
        N4ABN

        On 10/29/2010 6:49 AM, w6qe.milt wrote:

        Good morning...
        I've been cq'ing every morning between 1200 & 1245Z at 10.140 +1000 and not getting any responses.
        I've checked in the evenings, between 0200 and 0400Z. Not much activity on my waterfall.
        Is it me?
        When is everyone on?...When is someone on? Hi Hi
        Milt.
        W6QE
        30MDG #403
        070-650

      • G8SQH
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 29, 2010
          On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 12:49:14 -0000
          "w6qe.milt" <w6qe@...> wrote:

          > Good morning...
          > I've been cq'ing every morning between 1200 & 1245Z at 10.140 +1000 and not getting any responses.
          > I've checked in the evenings, between 0200 and 0400Z. Not much activity on my waterfall.
          > Is it me?
          > When is everyone on?...When is someone on? Hi Hi
          > Milt.
          > W6QE
          > 30MDG #403
          > 070-650

          My rx is essentially on 24/7, carrier on 10140. It reports to pskreporter.info, and the WSPR decoder to wsprnet.org. So you can see who is decodable in England.

          Sadly I have never heard CA - the rig has logged your state a few times, but I haven't worked beyond the East Coast. Into the Caribbean and S America is fine, but mid-west and beyond don't arrive here. No idea why.

          73

          David G8SQH
          --
          <djch-yahoo@...>
        • af6it
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 30, 2010
            This week seemed pretty bad the few times I tried. One night I saw 10 over S9 local noise, 2 or 3 RTTY stations in the PSK area, SSB just above where I like to Olivia, and a mad swoosher of unknown origins cycling a carrier up over & over & over... Must have been a full moon, hihi! That, and the World Series has a lot of baseball loving hams watching the tube instead of being in the shack. Its not that my signal wasn't getting out according to Hamspot monitoring stations. Just nobody sitting next to their HF rig.

            Stu AF6IT

            --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, G8SQH <djch-yahoo@...> wrote:

            > On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 12:49:14 -0000
            > "w6qe.milt" <w6qe@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Good morning...
            > > I've been cq'ing every morning between 1200 & 1245Z at 10.140 +1000 and not getting any responses.
            > > I've checked in the evenings, between 0200 and 0400Z. Not much activity on my waterfall.
            > > Is it me?
            > > When is everyone on?...When is someone on? Hi Hi
            > > Milt.
            > > W6QE
            > > 30MDG #403
            > > 070-650
            > >

            > My rx is essentially on 24/7, carrier on 10140. It reports to pskreporter.info, and the WSPR decoder to wsprnet.org. So you can see who is decodable in England.
            >
            > Sadly I have never heard CA - the rig has logged your state a few times, but I haven't worked beyond the East Coast. Into the Caribbean and S America is fine, but mid-west and beyond don't arrive here. No idea why.
            >
            > 73
            >
            > David G8SQH
            > --
            > <djch-yahoo@...>

          • Barry
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 31, 2010
              Hello Stu AF6IT, there are plenty of us this side of the pond who would like
              to work you in all different modes, things will get better soon I hope.
              73
              Barry M0IOW 30MDG#013

              > This week seemed pretty bad the few times I tried. One night I saw 10
              > over S9 local noise, 2 or 3 RTTY stations in the PSK area, SSB just
              > above where I like to Olivia, and a mad swoosher of unknown origins
              > cycling a carrier up over & over & over... Must have been a full moon,
              > hihi! That, and the World Series has a lot of baseball loving hams
              > watching the tube instead of being in the shack. Its not that my signal
              > wasn't getting out according to Hamspot monitoring stations. Just
              > nobody sitting next to their HF rig.
              >
              > Stu AF6IT
            • Kenneth Ezell
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 1, 2010
                What is ham spot monitoring stations?

              • af6it
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 2, 2010
                  Barry, I'd love to have some QSOs with folks on your side of the pond! I've logged virtually no EU stations. Best chances will be with a really robust mode like Olivia or Contestia. What hour do you tend to be on? I usually only get on once or twice a week, usually sometime between 22:30Z to maybe 01:00Z- late afternoon/early evening for me. Might be I need to find a time when EU isn't sound asleep?

                  Stu AF6IT

                  --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Barry" <Barry@...> wrote:

                  > Hello Stu AF6IT, there are plenty of us this side of the pond who would like
                  > to work you in all different modes, things will get better soon I hope.
                  > 73
                  > Barry M0IOW 30MDG#013

                • af6it
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 2, 2010
                    www.hamspots.net

                    There are others as well, but hamspots works great for my purposes. Most are reports of actual QSO's or self posting that they are on a given frequency & mode looking for QSO's. But there are some automated receivers which will report call signs heard in CQ's for a given mode. (aka Hamspots monitoring stations) More esoteric modes don't get reported this way very often, but even not when it is a mode you wish to use this can still tell you where others in your area are being heard- meaning that you have a chance as well.

                    Stu AF6IT

                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 2, 2010
                      Hi Stu AF6IT, I see you are on the west coast, I have not had many contacts
                      over that far :-(
                      I am retired so always willing to give it a go whenever it suits you or the
                      conditions.
                      73
                      Barry M0IOW