ROS mode in EU or outside USA....what ROS mode on 30m

    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 5, 2010
      GE,
      Over the 30 Meter Digital Weekend I noticed that it seemed EU was heavy into ROS reporting to the clusters just like here that weekend JT65a was heavy.

      So my question to EU ops or others outside USA is what ROS mode/width are you using for ROS contacts on 30 meters?

      And where on 30 Meters is the ROS traffic?

      Thanks for any replies.

      Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001
      www.30mdg.net
      ps. note: not bringing up why USA is not using or if the mode is legal..just wondering on those that can use it what ROS mode or where on 30m it is being used (personally I wish USA ops could join in and exerpiment)
    • Phil Williams
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 5, 2010
        Good questions Don.  I am would be interested in the answers too....philw de ka1gmn

        --
        Philw de KA1GMN
      • Laurie, VK3AMA
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 5, 2010
          Don,

          ROS uses fixed frequencies and bandwidths. On 30M 10144 & 10145 kHz @
          500Hz bandwidth.

          The ROS software doesn't allow the user to vary the the TX frequency
          withing the pass-band (even at 500Hz) or move to another QRG (non-ROS
          assigned frequency), if you do you are unlikely to get QSOs, which is
          one of the many reasons that ROS has caused much QRM and anger amongst
          many non-ROS users when the software suddenly, in a new release, uses
          new fixed frequencies in traditional areas of activity within a band.

          de Laurie, VK3AMA

          On 6/10/2010 12:29 PM, Don wrote:
          > GE,
          > Over the 30 Meter Digital Weekend I noticed that it seemed EU was heavy into ROS reporting to the clusters just like here that weekend JT65a was heavy.
          >
          > So my question to EU ops or others outside USA is what ROS mode/width are you using for ROS contacts on 30 meters?
          >
          > And where on 30 Meters is the ROS traffic?
          >
          > Thanks for any replies.
          >
          > Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001
          > www.30mdg.net
          > ps. note: not bringing up why USA is not using or if the mode is legal..just wondering on those that can use it what ROS mode or where on 30m it is being used (personally I wish USA ops could join in and exerpiment)
          >

          > ------------------------------------
          >
          > Please join in with us on the 30 Meter Band. When in the shack use the 30 mtr digital Spots page made possible by Laurie VK3AMA
          >
          > http://hamspots.net/30mdg/
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Eckersberger Peter
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 5, 2010
            Hi Don,

            Just download and install the program. All your questions will be answered by doing so. The address for downloading is ...

            http://rosmodem.wordpress.com/

            73 de Pez,  OE3EPW
             <oe3epw@...>

            AR  SK

            Am 06.10.2010 03:29, schrieb Don:
            GE,
            Over the 30 Meter Digital Weekend I noticed that it seemed EU was heavy into ROS reporting to the clusters just like here that weekend JT65a was heavy.

            So my question to EU ops or others outside USA is what ROS mode/width are you using for ROS contacts on 30 meters?

            And where on 30 Meters is the ROS traffic?

            Thanks for any replies.

            Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001
            www.30mdg.net
            ps. note: not bringing up why USA is not using or if the mode is legal..just wondering on those that can use it what ROS mode or where on 30m it is being used (personally I wish USA ops could join in and exerpiment)

          • Leslie Elliott
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 5, 2010
              Peter, since ROS is illegal here in the US last time I heard, downloading the program would be somewhat a waste of time,though as you say, might be a good way to learn more about it.

              Les  KCØPTO

              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 6, 2010

                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 6, 2010
                  Hi Leslie,

                  No wasted time at all as there is no need to use the program. But as you said ... It IS a good way to learn more about it.

                  By visiting the download site one may see all those different answers to Don's questions at a glance.

                  Just sneak around a bit and make yourself familiar with all that stuff. Mainly with the "ROS F.A.Q." section. You might be surprised on ROS's reality.

                  73 de Pez,  OE3EPW
                   <oe3epw@...>

                  AR  SK

                  Am 06.10.2010 08:22, schrieb Leslie Elliott:
                  Peter, since ROS is illegal here in the US last time I heard, downloading the program would be somewhat a waste of time,though as you say, might be a good way to learn more about it.

                  Les  KC�PTO

                    > ps. note: not bringing up why USA is not using or if the mode is legal..just wonde...

                  • Glenn L. Roeser
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 6, 2010
                      It's illegal to use it here in the U.S.A. Phil old pal!

                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 6, 2010
                        You guys are cracking me up.

                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 6, 2010
                          Here is what's funny. It is no more robust than Olivia, or Contestia, it's 2.2k wide, oh yeah it has a 500hz version. And if you don't make any contacts it makes them for you by posting fictitious QSOs on the DX clusters! There is no real waterfall to see where other ops may be and if you are not dead on the frequency that has been assigned you cannot print anyone.
                          It's a very silly mode LOL. Now that's funny because the mode is a real joke!

                          It's illegal to use it here in the U.S.A. Phil old pal!

                          I just downloaded it.  Anyone for a QSO?

                          Philw de KA1GMN

                          On Oct 6, 2010 5:44 AM, "Eckersberger Peter" <oe3epw@...> wrote:

                          Hi Leslie,

                          No wasted time at all as there is no need to use the program. But as you said ... It IS a good way to learn more about it.

                          By visiting the download site one may see all those different answers to Don's questions at a glance.

                          Just sneak around a bit and make yourself familiar with all that stuff. Mainly with the "ROS F.A.Q." section. You might be surprised on ROS's reality.

                          73 de Pez,  OE3EPW
                           <oe3epw@...>

                          AR  SK

                          Peter, since ROS is illegal here in the US last time I heard, downloading the program would be somewhat a waste of time,though as you say, might be a good way to learn more about it.    Les  KC�PTO    --- On Tue, 10/5/10, Eckersberger Peter <oe3epw@...> wrote:    From: Eckersberger Peter <oe3epw@...>

                          Date: Tuesday, October 5, 2010, 10:59 PM   Hi Don, Just download and install the program. All your questions will be answered by doing so. The address for downloading is ... http://rosmodem.wordpress.com/ 73 de Pez,  OE3EPW  <oe3epw@...> AR  SK Am 06.10.2010 03:29, schrieb Don: GE, Over the 30 Meter Digital Weekend I noticed that it seemed EU was heavy into ROS reporting to the clusters just like here that weekend JT65a was heavy. So my question to EU ops or others outside USA is what ROS mode/width are you using for ROS contacts on 30 meters? And where on 30 Meters is the ROS traffic? Thanks for any replies. Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001

                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 6, 2010
                            500Z sounds reasonable.  There's a home for that on 30 meters....philw de ka1gmn

                            Date: Tuesday, October 5, 2010, 10:59 PM   Hi Don, Just download and install the program. All your questions will be answered by doing so. The address for downloading is ... http://rosmodem.wordpress.com/ 73 de Pez,  OE3EPW  <oe3epw@...> AR  SK Am 06.10.2010 03:29, schrieb Don: GE, Over the 30 Meter Digital Weekend I noticed that it seemed EU was heavy into ROS reporting to the clusters just like here that weekend JT65a was heavy. So my question to EU ops or others outside USA is what ROS mode/width are you using for ROS contacts on 30 meters? And where on 30 Meters is the ROS traffic? Thanks for any replies. Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001

                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 6, 2010
                              10.144 is reasonable.   10.145 is a little to the ALE-141a stuff.  I'm on 10.144 right now.
                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 7, 2010
                                Hi Laurie,

                                Thanks for the information on ROS and appreicate it. There was just loads of EU spots that weekend so I wondered and you have answered my questions.

                                I'm not sure on the other comments but I'm not sure if that would be any different than WSJT WSPR modes having a more or less fixed frequency...same with JT65a-HF or even the PropNet ops with anchor fixed but I understand your comments.

                                Thanks again
                                Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001
                                www.30mdg.net

                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 7, 2010
                                  Hi Pez,

                                  Good suggestion and would love to do that but this poor ol Ham doesn't have a good connection I guess to the EU ROS download site and I have yet to get it to download (my version is very old I have when it first came out so not very good, would like the new version and maybe this weekend I will try again).

                                  Thanks
                                  Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001
                                  www.30mdg.net

                                  --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Eckersberger Peter <oe3epw@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi Don,
                                  >
                                  > Just download and install the program. All your questions will be
                                  > answered by doing so. The address for downloading is ...
                                  >
                                  > http://rosmodem.wordpress.com/
                                  >

                                  > 73 de Pez, OE3EPW
                                  > <oe3epw@...>
                                  >
                                  > AR SK
                                  >

                                  > Am 06.10.2010 03:29, schrieb Don:
                                  > > GE,
                                  > > Over the 30 Meter Digital Weekend I noticed that it seemed EU was heavy into ROS reporting to the clusters just like here that weekend JT65a was heavy.
                                  > >
                                  > > So my question to EU ops or others outside USA is what ROS mode/width are you using for ROS contacts on 30 meters?
                                  > >
                                  > > And where on 30 Meters is the ROS traffic?
                                  > >
                                  > > Thanks for any replies.
                                  > >
                                  > > Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001
                                  > > www.30mdg.net
                                  > > ps. note: not bringing up why USA is not using or if the mode is legal..just wondering on those that can use it what ROS mode or where on 30m it is being used (personally I wish USA ops could join in and exerpiment)

                                • Johnny KD5LWU
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 7, 2010
                                    Don Check your spam folder for my call sign.....

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Oct 8, 2010
                                      Hi Don,

                                      In case you didn't succeed ... See the attachment. I hope it works.

                                      Add note: At least once a week will be an update available.

                                      73 de Pez,  OE3EPW
                                       <oe3epw@...>

                                      AR  SK

                                      Am 08.10.2010 04:39, schrieb Don:
[...]

                                    • Sean Gilbert, International Editor - WRTH
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Oct 9, 2010
                                        Hi Don, I've been trying to keep an up to date ROS frequency/mode list on my website. The frequency list seems to vary quite a lot and have noticed that over the past couple of months there have been well over 10 changes to the suggested operating frequencies list (these do not appear to be mentioned on the website, rather I find out by looking at the hard coded list in the program). There are still improvements that can be made and when work lets up I will make these suggestions to the author (not being able to select 500Hz mode on 12m (unless you fool the software be setting it a different band) seems very odd. i suppose the only way you can participate is to either do some receive only observations or perhaps do some split mode operation (say ROS for the DX station and Olivia or MFSK etc. for your TX) - I don't know if that would be legal or even possible but may be something to chew over.

                                        Have a look at the digital modes page on http://www.hfradio.org.uk

                                        73 de
                                        Sean Gilbert
                                        G4UCJ - G4001SWL - SWLR-ZN018

                                        Buckingham, Bucks. IO92MA
                                        TXR:    IC756pro
                                        RX:      Racal RA1792
                                        ANT 1: 40-10m OCF dipole @ 10m agl
                                        ANT 2: Wellbrook ALA1530 @ 3m agl
                                        30MDG: #0464; #0463L; EPC: #008L; #015L; NDG# 0163 CDG: #150
                                        DMC: #016SWL; #017SWL; #990;
                                        PODXS 070: #139
                                      • Phil Williams