Automation of JT65

  • Scott Currier
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2010

      I think it would be nice if JT65 could be automated such that you could QSO a station if they leave their computer and radio on.

      You can already get reports via the internet that a JT65 station heard you and what your signal to noise ratio was.

      From a legal standpoint, in the US, 10.140 to 10.150 is ok for automatic control. On the rest of the frequencies like 10.137 it is legal to have your station automatically respond to another station provided that the bandwidth is less than 500 cycles. So, in the US at least, for once, there are no legal hurdles to overcome.

      In a JT65 contact usually the only information that is transmitted is call, grid, s/n, TU 73, and power and antenna.

      That could be automated.

      Automation would be good for small dxpeditions. A dipole, 100 watt radio and computer, logging is automatic and no operator required.

      Those that go on vacation to DX locations can leave the radio on while they are out enjoying the vacation spot.

      Maybe JT65 isn't the mode to automate but it would be nice to have at least one digital mode for automatic QSO's.

      A JT65 qso basically requires 3 or 4 mouse clicks and no typing.

      Just a thought.

      Let me put on my flame retardant suit before posting this.

      Ok, flame away.

      73 Scott KT1B

      Haverhill, MA

    • pa3gwh@pa3gwh.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2010
        Hi Scott,

        If I recall correctly this has been discussed among the awardmanagers. By doing this, you might risk ending up in the SWL or other category instead of the HAM category for the 30MDG awards!
        Note that this process is irreversible!

        In my opinion, no operator means no qso!

        The awardmanagers randomly check with other hams and/or online logs to
        verify a contact has indeed taken place. If either fails, the awardapplication will be rejected.

        Please also check the award rules :
        http://www.30mdg.net/award_rules.html

        73 de Richard PA3GWH

        --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Scott Currier <scott_currier@...> wrote:

        > I think it would be nice if JT65 could be automated such that you could QSO a station if they leave their computer and radio on.
        >
        > You can already get reports via the internet that a JT65 station heard you and what your signal to noise ratio was.
        >
        > From a legal standpoint, in the US, 10.140 to 10.150 is ok for automatic control. On the rest of the frequencies like 10.137 it is legal to have your station automatically respond to another station provided that the bandwidth is less than 500 cycles. So, in the US at least, for once, there are no legal hurdles to overcome.
        >
        > In a JT65 contact usually the only information that is transmitted is call, grid, s/n, TU 73, and power and antenna.
        >
        > That could be automated.
        >
        > Automation would be good for small dxpeditions. A dipole, 100 watt radio and computer, logging is automatic and no operator required.
        >
        > Those that go on vacation to DX locations can leave the radio on while they are out enjoying the vacation spot.
        >
        > Maybe JT65 isn't the mode to automate but it would be nice to have at least one digital mode for automatic QSO's.
        >
        > A JT65 qso basically requires 3 or 4 mouse clicks and no typing.
        >
        > Just a thought.
        >
        > Let me put on my flame retardant suit before posting this.
        >
        > Ok, flame away.
        >
        > 73 Scott KT1B
        >
        > Haverhill, MA

      • Scott Currier
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2010

          Hi Richard, thank you for the rules clarification. I don't have any plans to tackle this issue on my own. If an automated mode should become available in the future and gain some popularity I might be tempted to try it but wouldn't submit any of the contacts for 30MDG awards unless the rules allowed for it.

          Since the issue has been brought up already and the present 30MDG rules do not allow for such contacts, I have no further comments on the issue.

          73 and I hope you had / are having a good weekend.

          Scott KT1B Haverhill, MA

          To: 30MDG@yahoogroups.com
          From: pa3gwh@...
          Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 20:04:34 +0000