A/B tests of digital modes software.

  • Scott Currier
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2010

      I wonder if anyone has done any testing of say DM780, MultiPSK, and some of the others to see if there is any difference in their ability to decode messages under the same conditions?

      I can run JT65HF and DM780 at the same time so I suspect that it may be possible to run two different programs decoding the same signal and see if there is any difference.

      Scott Currier
      KT1B Haverhill, MA

    • signalhz
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2010
        I notice JT65-HF decodes weaker signals without DM780 running.

        Eddy
        N4ABN/DM59pd
        Fruita, Colorado

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2010
          Oh, I didn't know that. I don't purposely run DM780, it comes up when I load HRD and I use HRD to get the frequency info over to JT65. I'll have to remember to shut it off.

          Thanks for the tip.

          73

          Scott KT1B Haverhill, MA

          To: 30MDG@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2010
            A good person to talk to about comparing applications is Gary -
            WB8ROL....philw de ka1gmn

            On Fri, 2010-10-01 at 15:58 +0000, Scott Currier wrote:

            > I wonder if anyone has done any testing of say DM780, MultiPSK, and
            > some of the others to see if there is any difference in their ability
            > to decode messages under the same conditions?
            >
            > I can run JT65HF and DM780 at the same time so I suspect that it may
            > be possible to run two different programs decoding the same signal and
            > see if there is any difference.
            >

            > Scott Currier
            > KT1B Haverhill, MA

          • Andy obrien
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 1, 2010
              I have done this often over the years.  There ARE some genuine differences in performance between applications and sometimes the difference is related to resources allocated to each application by Windows, so it is not always a fair comparison if done on the same PC at the same time.     In the early days of PSK there was a clear difference between some applications,  Zakanaka at first was not as good as Digipan but when the beta testers tweaked things it got to be just as good.  Nowadays most PSK applications use the same "core" by Moe Wheatley, so the decode difference should be the same.  The same can be said for RTTY when the applications uses MMTTY's "engine"  JT65A does have some clear difference in performance between Multipsk, JT65A, and WSJT.  WSJT will still generally outperform the others when digging out super weak signals.  The problem though is that WSJT is susceptible to "false" decodes at times. more so that the others.

              Andy K3UK