EQSL.CC

  • Scott Currier
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 23, 2010

      I notice that in the digital world, some people will say "No EQSL!!" as though if you upload the contact to Eqsl you're going to hurt them.

      I am curious as to why some people seem to have a strong dislike for the service. Maybe they are afraid that if they don't tell people to not use Eqsl they won't get a paper card?

      Anyone have any comments on this?

    • Glenn L. Roeser
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 23, 2010
        I have seen that on many a macro. I would think that instead of saying "No EQSL" that they could say "Paper QSL Only" or some such thing.
        Are we radio operators or "pen pals?" I live in the country and many locals still live way back in the hills without electricity or telephones, and that is the way they prefer it. But we as Hams like technology, so why use snail mail and paper cards at all? We pay our bills and use email over the Internet, so why not EQSL or LOTW, and now we can QSL over the QRZ website also!
        Very 73 to all,
        Glenn (WB2LMV)

        I notice that in the digital world, some people will say "No EQSL!!" as though if you upload the contact to Eqsl you're going to hurt them.

        I am curious as to why some people seem to have a strong dislike for the service. Maybe they are afraid that if they don't tell people to not use Eqsl they won't get a paper card?

        Anyone have any comments on this?

      • Joe Brown
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 23, 2010
          I use eQSL but not LoTW.

          My policy is, I always send an eQSL from MixW after I conclude a QSO. If they do not belong to eQSL they won't know the difference.

          If I had a very nice QSO or if it was something special i.e. the first time the other station worked a mode or band, I'd send a paper QSL direct..

          If I receive a QSL card I always reply with a paper QSL direct, domestic or international. I do not use the bureau for outgoing cards. I never obligate anyone to send me a QSL card that is, I never check the pse QSL box. I never request a SASE or postage.

          I like receiving QSL cards but I do not submit anything for awards. My primary interest is rag chewing. I guess at heart I just an "old school" ham.
          73 – Joe W2JLB

          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 23, 2010
            I think I submitted for and got RCC back in the day that RCC was offered. RCC is Rag Chewers Club, for those who aren't aware. The ARRL offered it some time ago. I also got WAC. That's it. I don't think I still have either one of them.

            I like the paper QSL's the best and sometimes I grab a stack of them and look through 'em.

            I like LOTW for it's tracking and if I did want to apply for DXCC or WAS I wouldn't have to send cards. It's a nice system.

            Eqsl is good for tracking and the cards are good for CQ awards.

            They make it easy to upload contacts so why not. Besides, it's an offsite backup of your electronic log.

            I like the challenge of getting the different awards but at the same time I do on digital have the occasional hour long or longer chat. I think my record is about 2 hours 20 minutes. Not that long ago, on 30 meters, digital. Other people have had longer chat's I'm sure.

            The robust digital modes make it easy and pleasant to have a long chat on HF.

            At the same time, I really like JT65 for getting those tough states. There are times when I'm not really looking to chat but want to work some DX or get some new states for 30 WAS. JT65 is perfect. At 13 characters maximum per transmission, there's no ragchewing on JT65. :)

            73 Joe, have a nice day.

            Scott KT1B Haverhill, MA

            To: 30MDG@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 23, 2010
              Hi Scott, Joe et al.
              until about a couple of years ago I sent out paper QSL for every new contact; the return rate which some 30 years ago was about 80%, in 2008 was down to less than 25%. So I stopped it and am replying to incoming cards only. My local Club QSL manager was grateful for this change! :-) However, all contacts are uploaded to eQSL.
              If someone collects cards, he can send me one; all are replied to, and if they come direct, the reply will be the same way; if the ham sends cash or stamps, I return them because I think if he bothers to write to me, I shall not charge him for me replying to him.
              Of course, there are always people who collect original paper cards. Good for them; they get one back. But there are a lot of hams who simply cannot afford being bureau members and/or having cards printed; for some regions there don't exist bureaus either. So I wonder why there are made derogatory remarks about using eQSL? Also, I don't understand why some hams intend limiting their contacts to LotW users, calling "CQ LOTW ONLY DE ..."? Are we non-users second-class hams only? Are eQSL users third-class hams only?
              And don't let us forget those not having internet access either, not being able to QSL except direct. We got to have a bit of understanding for them.
              I ignore any remarks of "no eqsl pse", they mean nothing to my opinion nor to my QSL procedures. But stations making negative remarks about others will end up on my private black-list. There was one UA stn stating on his site "no kids with toys, no dupes, no this or that". What's the use then being on air? Where is the respect for newcomers, less experienced hams? He should reconsider his attitude or look for another hobby, to say it in mild words.
              And in this sense those frowning on eQSL should give a thought to their own attitude first and stop asking the other ham what to use and what not.
              vy73 Fred DL6XAZ #988

              --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Scott Currier <scott_currier@...> wrote:

              > I notice that in the digital world, some people will say "No EQSL!!" as though if you upload the contact to Eqsl you're going to hurt them.
              >
              > I am curious as to why some people seem to have a strong dislike for the service. Maybe they are afraid that if they don't tell people to not use Eqsl they won't get a paper card?
              >
              > Anyone have any comments on this?

            • Eckersberger Peter
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 23, 2010
                Hi All,

                Well, I DO have a comment on this. As an info in advance my age is 70 and I'm a licensed HAM since 1963.

                As of those people saying "no eqsl" ... Well, this might be just something depending on the lack of familiarity working with computers or something equal "strange". Mainly for elderly people its not always that easy to get used to the "modern times" and adopt to the spirit of the age.

                IMHO and as being one of those "elderly HAM" I personally think sending "eQSL" or "LoTW" as the final step of a QSO should be an act of courtesy. This of course depends on the way how people were brought up. If the QSO partner requests one of those services he should be provided with it. This doesn't hurt at all and leaves the other HAM at least satisfied.

                73 de Pez,  OE3EPW
                 <oe3epw@...>

                AR  SK

                Am 23.09.2010 16:06, schrieb Scott Currier:

                I notice that in the digital world, some people will say "No EQSL!!" as though if you upload the contact to Eqsl you're going to hurt them.

                I am curious as to why some people seem to have a strong dislike for the service. Maybe they are afraid that if they don't tell people to not use Eqsl they won't get a paper card?

                Anyone have any comments on this?

              • signalhz
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 23, 2010
                  I agree with you Fred.

                  73
                  N4ABN
                  Eddy

                  On 9/23/2010 10:02 AM, dl6xaz wrote:

                  Hi Scott, Joe et al.
                  until about a couple of years ago I sent out paper QSL for every new contact; the return rate which some 30 years ago was about 80%, in 2008 was down to less than 25%. So I stopped it and am replying to incoming cards only. My local Club QSL manager was grateful for this change! :-) However, all contacts are uploaded to eQSL.
                  If someone collects cards, he can send me one; all are replied to, and if they come direct, the reply will be the same way; if the ham sends cash or stamps, I return them because I think if he bothers to write to me, I shall not charge him for me replying to him.
                  Of course, there are always people who collect original paper cards. Good for them; they get one back. But there are a lot of hams who simply cannot afford being bureau members and/or having cards printed; for some regions there don't exist bureaus either. So I wonder why there are made derogatory remarks about using eQSL? Also, I don't understand why some hams intend limiting their contacts to LotW users, calling "CQ LOTW ONLY DE ..."? Are we non-users second-class hams only? Are eQSL users third-class hams only?
                  And don't let us forget those not having internet access either, not being able to QSL except direct. We got to have a bit of understanding for them.
                  I ignore any remarks of "no eqsl pse", they mean nothing to my opinion nor to my QSL procedures. But stations making negative remarks about others will end up on my private black-list. There was one UA stn stating on his site "no kids with toys, no dupes, no this or that". What's the use then being on air? Where is the respect for newcomers, less experienced hams? He should reconsider his attitude or look for another hobby, to say it in mild words.
                  And in this sense those frowning on eQSL should give a thought to their own attitude first and stop asking the other ham what to use and what not.
                  vy73 Fred DL6XAZ #988

                  --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Scott Currier <scott_currier@...> wrote:

                  > I notice that in the digital world, some people will say "No EQSL!!" as though if you upload the contact to Eqsl you're going to hurt them.
                  >
                  > I am curious as to why some people seem to have a strong dislike for the service. Maybe they are afraid that if they don't tell people to not use Eqsl they won't get a paper card?
                  >
                  > Anyone have any comments on this?

                • Dave Rozzana N6PZ
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 23, 2010
                    Hi All..

                    All of the comments regarding this topic are quite good.
                    I feel, however, that if someone is calling CQ LoTW or the like, I assume it means that the operator is looking for a contact to round out an award only available from LoTW (or whatever). I think that’s fine.
                    The same applies to any such request.

                    I remember back when eQSL first started. Quite a deal, and rightfully so. I personally think it got the ARRL off their butts and got them to get LoTW going. I became an AG member of eQSL almost immediately. But, there were many who shunned the idea only because eQSL wasn’t counted toward anything....anything....except their own awards. Bummer. That has now changed a bit, and life goes on. I have many awards in both eQSL and many more in LoTW, which I consider great because I don’t have to hunt up the cards and do the whole “submission” thing. I can do a few clicks of the mouse and send a charge card number and they will send it out to me....if I’m so inclined.
                    Now Global QSL is taking over a bunch of bureau QSL business and I think that’s great. Absolutely! Anything that makes it easier and less expensive is a winner, in my book.

                    Like many of you, I’ll QSL anyway a fellow wants me to do it. I QSL to both eQSL and LoTW automatically. Cards (remember those?) responded to gratefully. Let’s not limit our enjoyment of the hobby, and let’s especially not limit someone else’s.

                    73,
                    Dave, N6PZ
                    Frolicking freely on the HF bands since 1965
                    Life Member-ARRL

                    --- In mailto:30MDG%40yahoogroups.com, Scott Currier <scott_currier@...> wrote:

                    notice that in the digital world, some people will say "No EQSL!!" as though if you upload the contact to Eqsl you're going to hurt them.

                    > I am
                    curious as to why some people seem to have a strong dislike for the service. Maybe they are afraid that if they don't tell people to not use Eqsl they won't get a paper card?

                    > Anyone have any comments on
                    this?

                  • Andy obrien
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 1 2:47 AM
                      Please do not assume that those that simply say "No eQSL" in a digital QSO are "frowning" about the eQSl concept.  They may simply be mentioning that they do not participate, not necessarily  being opposed to eQSL.

                      Andy K3UK

                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 1 8:53 AM
                        Andy, you have a good point. When I see NO EQSL !!! I tend to think that they don't like the concept. A "No Eqsl" is more neutral.
                        However, English may not be the person's primary language thus I may be reading more of the capitalization and the !!! than the writer intended.

                        EQSL.CC is good in that so many people use it. It's always nice to have some backup in case contacts are questioned if you are applying for an award that doesn't normally require proof of contact but reserves the right to ask at any time for proof if they suspect something is amiss.

                        73 and have a nice day.

                        Scott KT1B Haverhill, MA

                        To: 30MDG@yahoogroups.com
                        From: k3ukandy@...
                        Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 05:47:37 -0400
                        Subject: Re: [30MDG] Re: EQSL.CC

                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 1 12:31 PM
                          Andy - thank you, I agree with your thoughts. As I said elsewhere: not every ham is fluent in English and with certain refined expressions, and we must give leeway to them. What I don't like are attempts to disqualify these modern QSL services because certain hams don't like them or don't have internet connections, for whichever reasons. Ever so often we have seen such remarks in received macros.
                          Never mind, don't let us drag on with this question and carry on with what we - you, me, all others - think right for ourselves without disrespect to others.
                          vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

                        • Laurie, VK3AMA
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 1 5:11 PM
                            Another reason for the "No eQSL!!" message is that the op may be telling
                            you they don't participate and NOT to bother sending them an email for
                            them to join eQSL and get AG status. I found this mentioned on several
                            qrz pages when I first started chasing DX on PSK. Some ops didn't like
                            the emails they kept getting from eQSL requesting they join and telling
                            them "How Easy" it was to get AG status.

                            de Laurie, VK3AMA

                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 2 8:26 PM
                              Good point Laurie, clever how Eqsl put the option in and even gave you a sample message so you could do some advertising for them.

                              After the 5th or 6th email I imagine it could get a little annoying.

                              73 Scott KT1B Haverhill, MA

                            • ve3oij
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 3 5:39 AM
                                >> But there are a lot of hams who simply cannot afford being bureau
                                >>members and/or having cards printed;

                                If a person lives in a third world country and makes 30000 contacts a year, I can understand that.

                                However, speaking as someone who hasn't had a job in a year and a half and thus understands being a bit short on cash, I have to say that I find it challenging to believe that a person who makes few contacts a day (on the order of 1000-2000 a year) on expensive radio equipment (trx, antenna, possibly tower, whatever) can't afford a few bucks to the bureau and some paper cards.

                                Now, many people choose not to do so. That's fine, it's a personal choice; lets call that for what it is. I am pretty sure there are, in fact, very few hams who simply cannot afford being bureau members or getting cards printed, especially in the "first world" countries.
                              • ve3oij
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 3 5:51 AM
                                  >>My local Club QSL manager was grateful for this change! :-)

                                  That is an interesting comment. I, too, have received what can only be described as "attitude" from the RAC bureau about being a "heavy" bureau user.

                                  Apparently the 900 or so cards I send out, and 400ish I receive each year via the bureau constitutes heavy use. I'd hate to imagine what they'd think if I became what I consider to be a heavy user! It irks me even more because I go out of my way to ensure my cards are sorted and flagged by outgoing bureau, and are standard size... all the bureau guy needs to do is drop each little, pre-sorted batch into his appropriate out-bound box for that bureau. The cards I receive inbound from the bureau are never so well organized in the envelope.

                                  Perhaps there needs to be some clean-up at some of the bureaus. Are people volunteering for bureau work without realizing how much work it can be? I can certainly see that, but it should only work for new sorters.

                                  Are the cost recovery schemes the bureaus are using not sufficient to actually cover costs? That should be easy to rememdy.

                                  In our large membership do we have anyone who does QSL sorting work for their bureau? If there is, could you weigh in with some of the deep secrets of the bureau :) What's it really like, how much work is it, what constitutes heavy use, what could/would make your job easier, etc. I think that would be really useful.
                                • jwden123@comcast.net
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 3 6:03 AM

                                    My 2 cents....

                                    Personally, being retired, I chose to not spend my money on that sort of thing.

                                    I really don't care that much about "proof" that I made a contact, since I don't typically do contest work.

                                    So e-qsl works fine for me.  If you don't do e-qsl, no problem. I really don't need that confirmation.

                                    I do keep a supply of paper cards so that anyone that sends me a card directly will receive one in return ... as a courtesy only.

                                    If swapping qsl cards is important to you, by all means go for it.  But don't be so presumptuous as to be critical or question others that prefer not to participate.  It's a freaking HOBBY!  Do what is satisfying to you and don't worry about others.

                                    John

                                    N4CUS

                                    >> But there are a lot of hams who simply cannot afford being bureau
                                    >>members and/or having cards printed;

                                    If a person lives in a third world country and makes 30000 contacts a year, I can understand that.

                                    However, speaking as someone who hasn't had a job in a year and a half and thus understands being a bit short on cash, I have to say that I find it challenging to believe that a person who makes few contacts a day (on the order of 1000-2000 a year) on expensive radio equipment (trx, antenna, possibly tower, whatever) can't afford a few bucks to the bureau and some paper cards.

                                    Now, many people choose not to do so. That's fine, it's a personal choice; lets call that for what it is. I am pretty sure there are, in fact, very few hams who simply cannot afford being bureau members or getting cards printed, especially in the "first world" countries.

                                  • Phil Williams
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 4 4:31 AM
                                      "Are we radio operators or "pen pals?"

                                      ka1gmn chuckles to himself quietly

                                    • Glenn L. Roeser
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Oct 4 5:00 AM
                                        I sent that out last week hihi. It took longer than a snail mail QSL! I better change my way of thinking!