What is ur antenna?......and 30m Half Square

    Message 1 of 28 , Aug 28 11:22 AM
      GA,

      30 meter antennas....Just wondering if anyone might think this would be of interest to new 30MDG members on the 30m band or to those that might be reviewing the www.30mdg.net site.

      Over the past few years I have been in contact with many that have homebrewed or even have commercial 30m antennas they are using and have emailed me to share a photo/plan of the antenna (and I thank you for that, all interesting).

      Although we have a 'Members Link' page on the www.30mdg.net site to link to some of our members websites I wondered if having an area on the site just for 30m antennas and info...any thoughts or comments on this? (I know many might have something about their antennas on their personal WebPages but I thought a specific page just for antennas might be good to give others an idea of what is being used...good idea? poor idea? other comments?)

      Here are a few pics of antennas used right here in our Yahoo 30mdg 'photos' as examples:

      If you think this is a good idea and we get enough responses we can do this so if interested email me KB9UMT @ 30mdg.net with your call, picture(s) of installation (or link) and any details about the antenna - measurements, how well it works for you, comparisons (etc).

      If you have had a contact with me on the band then you know my first question after the hello/name/report/qth is "what is ur antenna? ur 30m antenna?" Personally I find it always interesting what antenna is being use by the 30m ops. From inside attic antennas, loops, homebrew verticals, com'l wires-verticals-yagis, to quads...all making contacts and all interesting. There is no doubt your antenna is the key to what activity you will have on the 30m band but not using the band or trying any antenna for 30 meters is a shame, use what you have and get on the band.

      My operation is more geared towards 30m so for me I have found having several antennas to choose from a great help. My space is limited with a small city lot so I have a lot of antennas in a small area so note I'm sure they interact among each other. Having a wire antenna at 8ft along the gutter works will for NVIS close in states/stations...the loop for usually more quitting...the vertical for DX...and normally the one antenna of mine that wins out if the 30m rotatable dipole on the tower.

      Having said that John VE1CDD was kind enough to send me what he was using when he had his 30m online live PSK rxvr up. John is in a great spot for EU path but wow, his antenna was spotting so many I wondered what is was with interest. John was using a 30m half square antenna...go here for the article he sent along with a pic of design I put into mspaint:

      I have been busy with family and work related things the last few months but about 3 weeks ago I decided it was time to see if I could manage to put up a temp 30m Half Square to see how it works and compare best I could against the other antennas I currently use now. My install is what I would say as horrible...again limited because I have no trees or much room. Looking at the only tall structure I have the 40ft tower I would have to use that then go over to the side peak of my house that has a small 25ft pole and vertical on that peak...yep, just about right distance between for the 50ft or so horz part of the 30m half square wire antenna and actually it is all I have to use anyway.

      So cut the wire 23.5 ft per each vertical leg and around 48.5 ft for the horz portion of the wire antenna..found some 50ft of old coax feed the corner so everything just like the article suggested. Looking down from the roof running one of the vertical legs down about 2ft off the pole down the peak along the side of house then other about 2ft off the leg of the tower and one leg about 1ft of the ground and the other leg by the tower about 4 ft of the ground I thought to myself this stinks for an installation and doubt it will work well but it is all I can do to test at the moment so get off the roof and tower and go see.

      My first reaction was oh no..more city noise! Switching from the 30m rotatable dipole the noise was going from s2/s3 to s6 (but my hustler vertical is always picks up more noise too of s4 to s5..life in the city I guess). Switching back and forth the 30m half square was like turning on a noise preamp (later I find out why, it works!)...I about just went out to take it down but checked all antennas against some local USA stations and it seemed to work as well or better than the vertical on these stations and at times even or just below the 30m rotatable dipole..not bad we leave it up and wait for the sun to set when the DX usually appears and my noise level usually goes down.

      Sure enough found some EU stations and to my amazement this simple wire 30m half square really works for DX. I didn't have an antenna that would even come close to or compare to the 30m rotatable dipole on the tower until now. Most always this little wire antenna at only around 28ft high goes head to head with the higher in the air 30m rotatable dipole for and it just so happens it is in a good position for EU so many more times it is 1s to 2s more than the rotatable dipole depending on signal/polorz/prop on the signal but it works!

      I just thought I would share my results and quick comparison on this antenna so others might give it a try to add a DX antenna to the mix if they want to experiment. Is it an antenna I will always be using for 30m? No, it brings in too much noise in the city for me (but I can transmit on it and rx on the others)...is it for local traffic inside the States for me? No, it seems to shine with the longer jumps (DX) stations, and actually at times helps reduce stronger local stations that might wipe out the waterfall but increases the distance stations signals so that is a good thing. Is it directional of sorts..Yes it is. Can maybe a reflector type be set behind this, I think so and we might experiment with that if only I can figure a way to support it.

      Bottom line is this antenna is comparing very well, it cost me nothing to construct since I used old wire already in the junk box, an old 50ft piece of coax, insulators with junk pvc...no high costs even if I had to purchase these items...compare to the $200 vertical or the $400 30m rotatable dipole and it beats the hustler vertical every time and it stays even with (and at times beats) the 30m vertical. Interesting to say the least and I'm glad I tried this antenna design.

      Thanks again to John VE1CDD for taking the time and stamp to mail this article to me and you all for reading along.

      See you on the bands...a few of you already have tested this antenna with me and many of the EU's I have already worked of this antenna with good results.

      Email me your antenna installations, design, or ideas for 30m antennas if you wish.

      Thanks
      Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001
      www.30mdg.net
    • G8SQH
      Message 2 of 28 , Aug 28 3:14 PM
        Don

        I have two supports, the end of the house, and a nearby tree. I put up a half square, with the ends barely 3ft above ground. (I know - there is a shock hazard at the ends, but not much from my one Watt tx.) Worked a fair bit of DX too - the half square is good. Do tune it carefully - low SWR will cover 30m OK, but probably not all of 20.

        I then replaced it with a 7m fishing pole attached to the end of the house, with a length of 1.2mm enammeled wire taped on as the radiator. It's actually trapped for 20 and 30, on both bands I use 4 1/4 wave radial wires sloped 30 deg down.

        Probably from the greater height this 1/4 vertical has gone further - usually night range is to East Coast, Venuzula and the East Caribbean. Limit is about 4500 miles over ocean, so sadly West Coast and mid-West are beyond my reach, as is JA etc. Got a /MM off Goa recently, but again I think the intermediate reflection was off the Black Sea.

        Couldn't do A/B testing - the half square would have been under the GP radials.... Point is that a vertical (at least for English weather) does not have to be lots of aluminium and $$$ - just don't use a carbon fibre pole. I 'mounted' the pole by putting in inside a 4ft length of thicker wall glass fiber tube, which I can clamp with normal U bolts. I used layers of tape to get a good fit - the very thin fishing pole wouldn't like clamps direct I suspect...

        More details availalbe if anyone's interested. Oh - the ground here is nearly pure sand - 500 ohm m, or 2 mS m. Probably raises the radiation angle, but not a lot I can do.

        See you on the waterfall

        --David G8SQH
      • Andy obrien

          Message 4 of 28 , Aug 28 9:08 PM
              I have been using a end fed on 30m wishing I could use a different antenna but there is hardly any room. I will see if I can use the field next door but its across the street and I think is owned by someone.

            Ph:8082531271
            du1/n6hpx  cavite  philippines
            ex:du3/n6hpx , VQ9LF diego garcia
            member:american radio relay league
            QRV:
            7085 khz Am/Pinoy group,
            7095 khz PARA net
            6m:50110 USB,50125 USB
            70cm:431.910 Quezon 2m 146.640 San Diego Otay
            Sailors Net: 14305 USB
            http://myradioworldandcatches.blogspot.com

            Message 5 of 28 , Aug 29 2:33 AM
              Hi Don et al.
              even if I am happy with my aerial, it is always of great interest to see what other hams come up with, therefore many thanks for starting this thread.
              I live in a terraced house with a green patch of 6 x 10m as backyard; in this estate I don't have any building restrictions but a beam or anything big is off limits, not only because of my stn manager's objections. Ok, she is used to me being hf-infected ( and other addictions ) since we met nearly 43y ago, but all I get is permission to use thin (2-3mm) wires or a vertical.
              So, after lengthy discussions and trials together with G0UZP Paul we got to what we use since last year: groundplanes, 7,5m/23ft high, he with radials on ground, me with using the steel balcony rail on the 1st floor as counterpoise. He doesn't need tuning, I do with a Palstar AT2K near the rig 7m underneath in the basement. He bought his tubes from a metal dealer, with nearly no tapering, I use stock aluminium tubes from my local diy store which taper from 31mm to 6mm. I can extend them to 10m/30ft in theory, but can not handle this length safely, thus limit is 9m/27ft.
              The good thing is that with approaching thunderstorms I can take it down within 1 minute (and replace it afterwards), due to a tube joiner invented and made by Paul.
              This antenna works from 10m to 40m, with corresponding tuning and losses, but is ideal for 30m. It bends like bamboo in a river but survived Bft 10 (abt 60 kn/100 kmh) wind speed without damage.
              Summarizing: costs about 40 GBP/50 Euro.
              Paul may add further details if needed. A picture is on Photos.
              Efficiency is beyond doubt much higher than any commercial trapped vertical as I can confirm from experience.
              vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

              -----------snip ---------------
              > Thanks
              > Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001
              > www.30mdg.net

            • Mark
              Message 6 of 28 , Aug 29 7:50 AM
                Gentle people...

                I use a Butternut HF6V vertical, ground-mounted, with 15 radials buried and
                running about 80 feet out from the antenna. I have enough real estate to put
                up wire antennas, but unfortunately the neighborhood is "young" enough that
                there are no mature trees to support wire antennas. I have one tower - a 60
                foot Rohn 25 - but I'm not in any position (or health) to climb it to
                install any beams. My tower is populated with verticals for the VHF and UHF
                bands - 2m through 33cm.

                I'm quite happy with the operation of my HF vertical - I've worked Australia
                on 30m PSK and Antarctica (3Y0X) on 20m Phone - all with 100W or less.

                My biggest problem lately is finding the time to get on the air. My new job
                assignment has me driving two hours each way daily, in addition to my work.
                By the time I get home, all I want to do is eat and relax a while - and by
                then, it's time for bed. I hope to retire next year and, after that, most
                certainly will have more time for radio.

                73 and hope to catch you on the band when I get active again...
                Mark - N9WYS
                30MDG #0043
              • Jerry W
                Message 7 of 28 , Aug 29 9:06 AM
                  Don,

                  Sorry do not have pictures of my antenna, here is a lengthy description.

                  Antenna configuration here is inside due to space and HRA restrictions, no outside antennas are allowed, no balcony. The 10, 15, 20, 30 meter dipole fed with single coax. The 10, 15 and 20 parts are fashioned in a fan configuration with about one inch separation using one inch wide cardboard strips with slots cut at one inch intervals for each wire spaced about two feet apart. The wires are configured around my bedroom window frame which is made of anodized aluminum, 9 feet 4 inches wide, 4 feet length, dipole shaped like a upside down U. Windows are double insulated glass panes. Hung the dipole using plastic wire ties off the drapery rod. The 20 meter wire has about one foot laying on the floor at each end. The 30 meter wire is also part of the fan configuration however instead of running to the floor continued that wire around the bedroom ceiling using plastic cup hooks to support the wire.  With the automatic tuner on my Kenwood TS-2000 can also tune 17, 12  and 6 meters. Tried 40 meter wire extensions with alligator clips at the end of the 30 meter wire, but would not tune, maybe external antenna tuner might tune it? The bedroom is 20 feet long by 9 feet  6 inches wide with one three by six foot clothes closet, one two foot by three foot linen closet at the far end each side of the bedroom, about 16 feet each side for 30 meter wires. Floor to ceiling is 8 feet. Walls are six inch solid concrete between apartments, 1 and half inch wall with plasterboard between bedroom and living room. Floors and ceilings are four inch pre-stressed concrete slabs. Window side is two inch concrete with brick exterior, two inches of fiberglass insulation around windows and plasterboard around window frame interior, window frame supported by four 2 inch aluminum studs and air conditioner housing in living room. At the far 16 foot end from the  bedroom window the corners of the 30 meter wires hang down about a foot or so from the ceiling. I use a counterpoise connected to the ground terminal of the TS-2000 one quarter wave length long for each of the bands laying on the floor behind the operating desk and under the living room window and heat register in a L shape about 14 feet from the center feed point of the dipole to eliminate RFI getting into my computer. I use the sound device modes exclusively at about 20 watts. Two meter and 70cm voice at 25 watts with dual band mobile vertical on cookie sheet sitting next to the window on a bookcase.  I am in a high rise building eight floors above ground or four floors above street level on the west side of the building. The building sets on part of the bluff overlooking the Mississippi river valley to the east, I do not have a river view. The bottom three floors on the west side are about five feet away next to one plateau level of the bluff. The building rests on the next plateau down about 50 feet from street level before the bluff descends for another seventy-five feet like large stairs. My apartment height is about 840 feet above MSL. Have worked most of the USA states except for Hawaii and most of the Canadian provinces except for Yukon and NWT,  Mexico, Panama and on Grey-line propagation worked Argentina on 20 meter PSK.

                  Jerry - K0HZI

                • Phil Williams
                  Message 8 of 28 , Aug 29 2:09 PM

                    For 30 meters, the main antenna is a ground mounted wire vetical. It is longer than a quarter wave...more like 110 degrees to riase up the radiation resistance up higher. The radial system is comprised of 65, 28 foot, radials made of 14 gauge insulated wire. The radials lay on the ground and a held in place with lawn staples - bailing wire.  This radial system also is used for the inverted -L AKA The Purple Monster.

                    I have a collection of loops that I can pull as needed for 17, 20, and 30 meters. As of today I have the 30 meter loop up.

                    All antennas are ether support by either two 60 foot Siderbeam poles or the tree in the yard where I can get things up to 25 feet.

                    Philw de ka1gmn

[...]

                  • Joe Brown
                    Message 9 of 28 , Aug 29 3:05 PM
                      I live in an apartment, so I am very lucky to be able to put up anything. What I put up has to be very limited and low profile.

                      I am using a Diamond BB-7V vertical antenna. It loads up on 30 meters without using a tuner. I've gotten excellent results on 30 meters and all the other bands. The antenna is 22 ft tall and does not need radials. It's weight is only 4.5 pounds. I have it mounted on a 10 foot mast which is attached to a post in the chain link fence around the roof of my building.

                      Click on my QRZ link below and see a couple of pictures of the antenna.

                      http://www.qrz.com/callsign?callsign=w2jlb
                      73 – Joe W2JLB

                      On 8/29/2010 5:09 PM, Phil Williams wrote:

[...]

                    • Andrew T
                      Message 10 of 28 , Aug 30 7:54 AM
                        Jerry,

                        This is certainly the Ham spirit!!

                        Never let HRAs or the like stop you. Well done!

                        I for one would love to see some pictures of it.

                        In the old days you at least were able to put up a TV antenna but in the days of cable you cant have TV antennas or Satellitte dishes which all spilled over the radio antennas.

                        Andrew
                        OZ5DY/ES2DY/VK2DYI

                        Message 11 of 28 , Aug 30 11:36 AM
                          Yes, I agree...all good items of interest (note: I think I might have worked more stations on 30m with restricted antennas here in the U.S. than those with no restrictions- i.e. inside dipoles/wires, attic antennas, loops, hustler sticks or gutter, etc...always interesting to me).

                          Those that have responded thus far I THANK YOU for joining in with this topic and giving us more details about your 30m antennas, others maybe join in...it need not be just homebrew but also commercial too.

                          I would have to say that the majority of the stronger DX signals for me anyway from NA to EU are coming from verticals, just an observation.

                          Thanks to David G8SQH, Andy K3UK, du1/n6hpx, Fred DL6XAZ, Mark N9WYS, Jerry K0HZI, Phil ka1gmn, and Joe W2JLB.

                          Please consider emailing me KB9UMT AT 30MDG.NET or KB9UMT AT ARRL.NET with a few simple digital camera pics and a small write up on your antenna installations that I can share with others that might be interested to do the same to work the 30m band..would you? Or consider if you have a web page to do your own and we can link to that page...Andy K3UK has a good example and going here http://www.obriensweb.com/halfsquare.htm is good information and we might use this one and others like this, is that okay Andy? Others please email or if not I can try to come up with an adobe/PDF file from for others to read and share what you have shared here with the forum/reflector.

                          Thanks again...anyone else? more?

                          Thanks
                          de kb9umt Don 30MDG#0001
                          www.30mdg.net

                          --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew T" <es2dy@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > > dual band mobile vertical on cookie sheet sitting next to the window on
                          > > a bookcase. I am in a high rise building eight floors above ground or
                          > > four floors above street level on the west side of the building. The
                          > > building sets on part of the bluff overlooking the Mississippi river
                          > > valley to the east, I do not have a river view. The bottom three floors
                          > > on the west side are about five feet away next to one plateau level of
                          > > the bluff. The building rests on the next plateau down about 50 feet
                          > > from street level before the bluff descends for another seventy-five
                          > > feet like large stairs. My apartment height is about 840 feet above MSL.
                          > > Have worked most of the USA states except for Hawaii and most of the
                          > > Canadian provinces except for Yukon and NWT, Mexico, Panama and on
                          > > Grey-line propagation worked Argentina on 20 meter PSK.

                        • Daithi
                          Message 12 of 28 , Aug 31 5:21 PM

                            Try this one guys – interesting development by KU6FRY

                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tIZUhu21sQ

                            Daithi

                          • Andy obrien
                            Message 13 of 28 , Aug 31 6:33 PM
                              bizzare!

                              On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 8:21 PM, Daithi <gi7omy@...> wrote:

                              Try this one guys – interesting development by KU6FRY

                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tIZUhu21sQ

                              Daithi

                            • Sean Gilbert, International Editor - WRTH
                              Message 14 of 28 , Sep 1, 2010
                                Hi all, my antenna is quite simple - an Off centre Fed (OCF) dipole that is about 20m long and fed with 50 ohm coax 1/3 from the end via a 4:1 balun. I have made a change to the original configuration by inserting a stack of 3 ferrite rings 10 feet below the feedpoint and wrapping 6/7 turns around then to form a choke - which turns this into a Carolina Windom I believe. It is not as efficient as it should be due to the size restriction of the garden. My garden is only 7m by 6m BUT a huge plus for me is that there is a 10m high dead tree in one corner, so that is the centre support for the antenna. It does mean I have a 90 degree bend in the antenna at the feedpoint but it works well from 40m-6m and it is resonant on 40, 20, 17 and 12 and 10m (SWR is low enough not to require an ATU) - it does not resonate on 30, 15 or 6m, the ATU is required to bring those to a low SWR (it will tune up on 80m but is pretty deaf). I tried a half G5RV here originally and this is far superior,  it's quieter, tunes on more bands and seems to receive much better. There are pics and diagrams on my website http://www.hfradio.org.uk.

                                My 5W 30m WSPR signals have been heard all over the place (a detailed report is on my website).

                                In fact last night I left my PSK31 station running and was surprise to hear stations from most call areas of the USA (1,3,4,5,6,8,9,0 - including KB9UMT at 0044), plus TG9, VE, YV and loads of Eu. So a pretty decent night's monitoring. It's good to see 30m still producing the goods! When I get some spare time (!), I will be using some of the lesser used modes on 30m, such as JT65, Contestia, Olivia, MFSK (as well as the more usual PSK modes) etc. Look forward to seeing you on the waterfall!

                                73 de
                                Sean Gilbert
                                G4UCJ - G4001SWL - SWLR-ZN018

                                Buckingham, Bucks. IO92MA
                                TXR:    IC756pro
                                RX:      Racal RA1792
                                ANT 1: 40-10m OCF dipole @ 10m agl
                                ANT 2: Wellbrook ALA1530 @ 3m agl
                                30MDG: #0464; #0463L; EPC: #008L; #015L; NDG# 0163 CDG: #150
                                DMC: #016SWL; #017SWL; #990;
                                PODXS 070: #139
                              • de n6hpx_du1

                                • jwden123@comcast.net
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Sep 2, 2010

                                    OK, I'll play the "what is your antenna" game.

                                    For my ICOM 756 I have a 40M OCF Windom at 35 feet hieght

                                    Also a 10M and a 15M Hamstick Dipole on a 25 ft high fiberglass mast.

                                    For my Yaesu FT-901DM, I have a Hustler 5BTV ground mounted

                                    and a 10M Ringo vertical on a 25 ft mast

                                    The 40M OCF and the hamstick dipoles work great.. the verticals......well, they work like verticals (lot of ground noise)

                                    I work 20M, 30M and 40M (Digital) mostly . 10M Digital and SSB when it's open.

                                    Modes are PSK 31, 63 and 125,  Rtty, Contestia, Olivia and Feld Hell.

                                    See you on the waterfall.

                                    John Dendy

                                    N4CUS

                                    North Atlanta

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Sep 2, 2010
                                          Fine with me Don.

                                          Andy

                                          On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 2:36 PM, Don <dhobson123@...> wrote:

> [...]

                                          > > dual band mobile vertical on cookie sheet sitting next to the window on
                                          > > a bookcase. I am in a high rise building eight floors above ground or
                                          > > four floors above street level on the west side of the building. The
                                          > > building sets on part of the bluff overlooking the Mississippi river
                                          > > valley to the east, I do not have a river view. The bottom three floors
                                          > > on the west side are about five feet away next to one plateau level of
                                          > > the bluff. The building rests on the next plateau down about 50 feet
                                          > > from street level before the bluff descends for another seventy-five
                                          > > feet like large stairs. My apartment height is about 840 feet above MSL.
                                          > > Have worked most of the USA states except for Hawaii and most of the
                                          > > Canadian provinces except for Yukon and NWT, Mexico, Panama and on
                                          > > Grey-line propagation worked Argentina on 20 meter PSK.

                                        • Thomas F. Giella NZ4O
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Sep 3, 2010
                                            My main antenna for 80-10 meters is a 300 foot horizontal loop near 80
                                            meters (3350.000 kc) that is made up of black UV resistant double coated
                                            plastic stranded #14 wire. It is in a square configuration with each leg 75
                                            feet long and mounted 35 feet above ground at each corner. The feed point is
                                            in the middle of the leg that is broadside N-S. For 80-10 meter operation
                                            the antenna is fed with 40 feet of #18 gauge stranded hard drawn copper 450
                                            ohm window/ladder feed line. It is tuned by my link coupled balanced Johnson
                                            Viking Match Box (275 watt carrier/1100 watt PEP).

                                            I have published a web page on the antenna at
                                            http://www.wcflunatall.com/nz4o15.htm

                                            73 & GUD DX,
                                            Thomas F. Giella, NZ4O
                                            Lakeland, FL, USA
                                            nz4o@...

                                            NZ4O Amateur & SWL Autobiography: http://www.nz4o.org
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Sep 4, 2010
                                              Hello all,

                                              I would like to thank those that have shared their 30 Meter Antennas. Some in great detail and some have emailed direct to me also and I appreciate that.

                                              I think what I will do once it gets cooler and spending less time outside I will put all these together in a Adobe/PDF format that way it will just be one document about 30 Meter Antennas..then have Rob ZL3RG put it out on the 30mdg site, sound okay?

                                              Again thank you all for sharing and if there are more keep them coming and or email KB9UMT AT 30MDG.NET

                                              Thanks
                                              Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001
                                              www.30mdg.net

                                            • pa3gwh@pa3gwh.com
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Sep 5, 2010
                                                Hi all,

                                                I think putting a document like that together is a great idea Don.

                                                I have been trying out several different antennas myself, starting out with a vertical, an Alpha Delta DXCC, G5RV and finally ending up with homebrewing loop antennas. My current antennas are a homebrew 22mm copper tube loop for 20, 30 and 40 which gives me great results into NA and SA. A homebrew delta loop fed with 450 ohm ladder line which gives me 10-80 coverage through an MFJ tuner and gives best results into OC, AS and AF. Another homebrew copper loop for 10,12, 15, 17 and 20 which only measures 93cm in diameter and finally a 1.8m diameter loop for the webreceiver. All loops are remote controlled via a simple dpdt switch with a voltage regulator to reduce speed on the motor driving the capacitor. This setup basically fills up the roof of my city apartment HI

                                                I have been talking to John VE1CDD many times during his half square experiment, he ended up sending me his building plans via snail mail and after calculating the necessary space (thank you google earth) I decided it would not easily fit because of the lack of necessary support poles. A pity because John has fantastic results and I think they would work very well for me too being not far from the sea myself.

                                                The magnetic loop was a fun project and I tried to put some information up on my website about the process check
                                                http://www.pa3gwh.com/magloop for details.

                                                I'd love to give some input for the document in due time Don!

                                                73 de Richard PA3GWH

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Sep 5, 2010
                                                    Hi Richard PA3GWH,

                                                    "I'd love to give some input for the document"....then GOOD we will work on this together then. I think this will be our fall/winter project so I look forward to putting some of these antenna ideas both homebrew and commercial in a 30m Antenna Doctument (you never know it might just help someone get on the band with something they never thought of or with a better antenna thus more activity for them and all of us).

                                                    Thanks....you're hired Richard! hihi
                                                    (always looking for good help, makes all this work better)

                                                    Don kb9umt 30mdg#001
                                                    www.30mdg.net

                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Sep 6, 2010
                                                      --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <dhobson123@...> wrote:
                                                      > Thanks....you're hired Richard! hihi

                                                      Kewl, when will the "new employees" party be?

                                                      > (always looking for good help, makes all this work better)

                                                      Oh dear... good help, I did not know that was a requirement?

                                                      > Don kb9umt 30mdg#001
                                                      > www.30mdg.net

                                                      73 Richard
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Sep 7, 2010
                                                        Richard,

                                                        You are not going to like the pay! hahaha...but maybe I can get you a raise in a few months...what is bad help?

                                                        I will be getting with you in a few weeks and maybe in a month or two we can put this 30m Antenna Adobe/pdf file together to share with all.

                                                        Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001
                                                        www.30mdg.net

                                                        --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, pa3gwh@... wrote:

                                                        > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <dhobson123@> wrote:
                                                        > > Thanks....you're hired Richard! hihi
                                                        >
                                                        > Kewl, when will the "new employees" party be?
                                                        >
                                                        > > (always looking for good help, makes all this work better)
                                                        >
                                                        > Oh dear... good help, I did not know that was a requirement?
                                                        >

                                                        > > Don kb9umt 30mdg#001
                                                        > > www.30mdg.net
                                                        >
                                                        > 73 Richard

                                                      • Robin Hodgson
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Sep 9, 2010
                                                          This is a great idea - good initiative Don and Richard.

                                                          My own experiences show that using a 30m specific antenna always gives better results than a multi-band with ATU, to the tune of an S-point or two.
                                                          Trying to measure this is not obvious, since most ops. will give (at least to a 9H call in the inevitable pile up) a meaningless 599 report.  So I rely mostly on PropNET or WSJT operators for signal reports.
                                                          I find the remote receivers connected to the Internet are also extremely practical and useful for checking antenna performance.
                                                          Since few (if any)  30 meter antennas are available commercially, we are bound to be do-it-yourselfers, and choice is probably dictated mostly by the 3D real-estate available.
                                                          So, it will be very useful to know what others do, and pick up interesting and unusual ideas that could be adapted.

                                                           Robin  9H1ZZ

                                                          To: 30MDG@yahoogroups.com
                                                          From: dhobson123@...
                                                          Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2010 15:07:50 +0000

                                                          Hi Richard PA3GWH,

                                                          "I'd love to give some input for the document"....then GOOD we will work on this together then. I think this will be our fall/winter project so I look forward to putting some of these antenna ideas both homebrew and commercial in a 30m Antenna Doctument (you never know it might just help someone get on the band with something they never thought of or with a better antenna thus more activity for them and all of us).

                                                          Thanks....you're hired Richard! hihi
                                                          (always looking for good help, makes all this work better)

                                                          Don kb9umt 30mdg#001
                                                          www.30mdg.net

                                                          --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, pa3gwh@... wrote:

                                                          > Hi all,
                                                          >
                                                          > I think putting a document like that together is a great idea Don.
                                                          >
                                                          > I have been trying out several different antennas myself, starting out with a vertical, an Alpha Delta DXCC, G5RV and finally ending up with homebrewing loop antennas. My current antennas are a homebrew 22mm copper tube loop for 20, 30 and 40 which gives me great results into NA and SA. A homebrew delta loop fed with 450 ohm ladder line which gives me 10-80 coverage through an MFJ tuner and gives best results into OC, AS and AF. Another homebrew copper loop for 10,12, 15, 17 and 20 which only measures 93cm in diameter and finally a 1.8m diameter loop for the webreceiver. All loops are remote controlled via a simple dpdt switch with a voltage regulator to reduce speed on the motor driving the capacitor. This setup basically fills up the roof of my city apartment HI
                                                          >
                                                          > I have been talking to John VE1CDD many times during his half square experiment, he ended up sending me his building plans via snail mail and after calculating the necessary space (thank you google earth) I decided it would not easily fit because of the lack of necessary support poles. A pity because John has fantastic results and I think they would work very well for me too being not far from the sea myself.
                                                          >
                                                          > The magnetic loop was a fun project and I tried to put some information up on my website about the process check
                                                          > http://www.pa3gwh.com/magloop for details.
                                                          >
                                                          > I'd love to give some input for the document in due time Don!
                                                          >
                                                          > 73 de Richard PA3GWH
                                                          >

                                                          > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <dhobson123@> wrote:
                                                          > >
                                                          > > Hello all,
                                                          > >
                                                          > > I would like to thank those that have shared their 30 Meter Antennas. Some in great detail and some have emailed direct to me also and I appreciate that.
                                                          > >
                                                          > > I think what I will do once it gets cooler and spending less time outside I will put all these together in a Adobe/PDF format that way it will just be one document about 30 Meter Antennas..then have Rob ZL3RG put it out on the 30mdg site, sound okay?
                                                          > >
                                                          > > Again thank you all for sharing and if there are more keep them coming and or email KB9UMT AT 30MDG.NET

                                                        • ka8oqf
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Sep 9, 2010
                                                            We have several that work on 30m out here at W8BI --

                                                            a Force 12 beam, a SteppIR MonstIR beam, and a 75m dipole (third harmonic).
                                                            The 75m dipole seems to work best for us (it's waaaaaaaaaay up high on a tower). Gives us some DX but covers NA quite well for more "close in" stuff.

                                                            Charlie KA8OQF
                                                            for DARA club stn W8BI