Re: [30MDG] CMSK - Up and Running

  • John (AA2AF)
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 9, 2010
      Phil
      Is there a download site for CMSK ?

      --- On Mon, 8/9/10, Phil Williams <ka1gmn@...> wrote:

      From: Phil Williams <ka1gmn@...>
      Subject: [30MDG] CMSK - Up and Running
      To: 30MDG@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, August 9, 2010, 8:56 PM

      Two initial contacts via CMSK 63 - N4UM and K4UI.  We are learning how to tune correctly.  Currently done on 10136.00 + 1000 hz

      --
      Philw de KA1GMN

    • Phil Williams
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 9, 2010
        Sure

        http://www.qsl.net/zl1bpu/CMSK/CMSK%20070810.zip

        philw de ka1gmn

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 9, 2010
          Don, KB9UMT and myself have been throwing CMSK bits back and forth.  It seems that I decode Don 100%.  Don decodes me 0%.

          Experimenting is so much fun!

          philw de ka1gmn

          On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 7:56 PM, Phil Williams <ka1gmn@...> wrote:
          Two initial contacts via CMSK 63 - N4UM and K4UI.  We are learning how to tune correctly.  Currently done on 10136.00 + 1000 hz

          --
          Philw de KA1GMN

          --
          Philw de KA1GMN
        • don
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 9, 2010

            http://www.qsl.net/zl1bpu/CMSK/cmsk.htm

            Have a look here

            Don zl1atb

            Two initial contacts via CMSK 63 - N4UM and K4UI.  We are learning how to tune correctly.  Currently done on 10136.00 + 1000 hz

            --
            Philw de KA1GMN

          • Thomas F. Giella NZ4O
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 10, 2010
              I have downloaded the software but can't get it to work with my outboard
              soundcard SignaLink USB interface. Anybody using the Signalink get it to
              work?

              73 & GUD DX,
              Thomas F. Giella, NZ4O
              Lakeland, FL, USA
              nz4o@...

              PODXS 070 Club #349
              Feld Hell Club #141
              30 Meter Digital Group #691
              Digital Modes Club #1243
              WARC Bands Century Club #20

              NZ4O Amateur & SWL Autobiography: http://www.nz4o.org
            • Phil Williams
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 10, 2010
                I've been hearing that from other operators too.

                philw de ka1gmn

                On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 8:22 AM, Thomas F. Giella NZ4O <nz4o@...> wrote:
                I have downloaded the software but can't get it to work with my outboard
                soundcard SignaLink USB interface. Anybody using the Signalink get it to
                work?

                73 & GUD DX,
                Thomas F. Giella, NZ4O
                Lakeland, FL, USA
                nz4o@...

                PODXS 070 Club #349
                Feld Hell Club #141
                30 Meter Digital Group #691
                Digital Modes Club #1243
                WARC Bands Century Club #20

                NZ4O Amateur & SWL Autobiography: http://www.nz4o.org

                ------------------------------------

                Please join in with us on the 30 Meter Band. When in the shack use the 30 mtr digital Spots page made possible by Laurie VK3AMA

                http://www.hamspots.net/30/

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                <*> Your email settings:
                   Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                   (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                   30MDG-digest@yahoogroups.com
                   30MDG-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                   http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                --
                Philw de KA1GMN
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 12, 2010
                  Hi Phil and all,

                  Always interesting to try and experiment and thanks for the link and try in this mode. I never did get you to decode even with your strong signal (maybe too strong!). I made adjustment after adjustment but ran out of time. I will have to setup the other rig and pc and see what I'm doing wrong with this mode..must be my soundcard settings or something (I can't believe it would be that touchy to tune).

                  If I have time maybe this Sunday I might try again but now 12 hour workdays leaving little time for anything else.

                  Since you Phil and others have had a few days testing at this new mode maybe you can give a short overview on what you think of it thus far. Or if you have compared it against other modes, have you? (regular MFSK, Contestia, Olivia, etc). Just wondered if it any better or if worse than other modes at hand known to work well.

                  Thanks again and always good to read your posts and better yet catch you on the 30m band.

                  Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001
                  www.30mdg.net

                  --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Phil Williams <ka1gmn@...> wrote:

                  > Don, KB9UMT and myself have been throwing CMSK bits back and forth. It
                  > seems that I decode Don 100%. Don decodes me 0%.
                  >
                  > Experimenting is so much fun!
                  >
                  > philw de ka1gmn
                  >

                  > On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 7:56 PM, Phil Williams <ka1gmn@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Two initial contacts via CMSK 63 - N4UM and K4UI. We are learning how to
                  > > tune correctly. Currently done on 10136.00 + 1000 hz
                  > >
                  > > --
                  > > Philw de KA1GMN
                  > >

                  > --
                  > Philw de KA1GMN

                • Glenn L. Roeser
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 13, 2010
                    Hello to all in the group.
                    I have tried the new CMSK mode and have found it to be very similar to PSK31FEC which is found on the MultiPSK program, with one exception. PSK31FEC is very susceptible to static crashes and CMSK is not. As with most digital modes as the trace fades so does it's ability to print. The only two modes that I have ever used that are able to print once the trace fades are Olivia, and Contestia.
                    The tuning seems difficult because it lacks the AFC that is present on the other PSK programs, but it is really quite easy once we get the hang of it. I find that if I align the + directly in the center of the received trace then it is spot on and starts to print immediately.
                    That is my experience so far.
                    Very 73 to all, Glenn (WB2LMV)

                    Always interesting to try and experiment and thanks for the link and try in this mode. I never did get you to decode even with your strong signal (maybe too strong!). I made adjustment after adjustment but ran out of time. I will have to setup the other rig and pc and see what I'm doing wrong with this mode..must be my soundcard settings or something (I can't believe it would be that touchy to tune).

                    If I have time maybe this Sunday I might try again but now 12 hour workdays leaving little time for anything else.

                    Since you Phil and others have had a few days testing at this new mode maybe you can give a short overview on what you think of it thus far. Or if you have compared it against other modes, have you? (regular MFSK, Contestia, Olivia, etc). Just wondered if it any better or if worse than other modes at hand known to work well.

                    Thanks again and always good to read your posts and better yet catch you on the 30m band.

                    Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001
                    www.30mdg.net

                    --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Phil Williams <ka1gmn@...> wrote:

                    > Don, KB9UMT and myself have been throwing CMSK bits back and forth. It
                    > seems that I decode Don 100%. Don decodes me 0%.
                    >
                    > Experimenting is so much fun!
                    >
                    > philw de ka1gmn
                    >

                    > On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 7:56 PM, Phil Williams <ka1gmn@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Two initial contacts via CMSK 63 - N4UM and K4UI. We are learning how to
                    > > tune correctly. Currently done on 10136.00 + 1000 hz
                    > >
                    > > --
                    > > Philw de KA1GMN
                    > >

                    > --
                    > Philw de KA1GMN

                  • Phil Williams
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 13, 2010
                      Don,

                      - You have to strap on your experimenters hat when it comes to CMSK Terminal.

                      - ZL2AFP points out that CMSK is optimized for 160 meters and below, where the impact of carrier phase and Doppler shift to signals are less pronounced than in comparison to the HF bands. This could be a contributor to some of the issue with decoding problems that have been experienced by operators, but I think most of the issues associated with decoding can be contributed to how the tuning is implemented in the application.  This is not criticism against the developer. I personally think that implementation of how tuning works in CMSK makes sense as it has very narrow shift which requires the operator to accurately tune in the signal.

                      - It is my opinion that when it comes to CMSK Terminal, we have to put aside what we have grown used to with other digital mode applications.

                      - With other digital mode applications, the TX and RX frequency cursors are locked by default.  This not the case with CMSK terminal.

                      - The key to successfully decoding CMSK is to understand the RX and TX cursors are UNCOUPLED.  An operator can easily be work split without knowing it. We have done this and is one of the reasons CMSK operations have begun away from the more active portions of the 30 meter band.

                      - The default TX audio tone, also known as  "Transmit Frequency", IS FIXED at 1000Hz.  As an operator moves the RX cursor up and down the spectrogram, it is VERY IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER THAT THE TX FREQ REMAINS LOCKED. To change the TX frequency, select "TX options" and then "Transmit Frequency" - a field will be displayed to you when you can change the TX audio frequency.

                      - The other important component of CMSK Termnal is the fine tuning indicator.  The RX cursor gives the operator the ability to COARSE TUNE the received signal, but you must use the fine tuning along with the Eye Diagram to successfully tune in a CMSK signal.

                      - I had originally suggested the dial frequency of 10136.0 KHz as it is relatively low in use in the States.  This may not be the best frequency especially as conditions improve.  I have observed from listening to the PA3FWM WebSDR that this is not the case in Europe.  However, since most of us have VFOs at our disposal, we must be flexible and be willing to QSY when faced with potential interference.

                      - I felt that moving out of the more popular 10140 to 10143 KHz subband would better serve the 30 meter community.  If this is not the case, then I and other operators using CMSK are certainly open to suggestions. I would think it would be a mistake to pick one portion of the band for just CMSK.   If that means we are on a different part of the band, the so be it.  HamSpots is a grat place to make these frequency announcements.  The key is flexibility.

                      - There is more effort right now to get the decoding to work.  I think the comparison of CMSK to other modes will eventually begin as operators become more proficient with tuning in CSMK signals. Keep in mind that as we move down to narrower shifts such as CMSK31 and CMSK8 - tuning will become more critical.  Considering the caliber of the operators on 30 meters, I am sure we are all up to the challenge.

                      - I am sure there will be debates as to whether CMSK has a place on the HF bands. As pointed out be the developers, CMSK is optimized for the band at 160 meters and below.  If this digital mode is sensitive to the affects of Doppler shift, then we must embrace CMSK as have in our hands, another great tool for accessing the current conditions are on 30 meters or any other HF frequency for that matter.  The argument can be made for other digital modes.  We must be willing to take what has been given to us and discover its limits by getting on the air and putting a digital mode through its paces. Simulators are at best, simulators.

                      - I think that if you are willing to become proficient with the implementation of the tuning in CMSK while keeping in mind the you may get duped by the Doppler boogey man, there is a whole lot of ham radio fun to be had with this mode.

                      73

                      philw de ka1gmn

                      --
                      Philw de KA1GMN
                    • Phil Williams

                        --
                        Philw de KA1GMN
                      • Glenn L. Roeser
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 13, 2010
                          Thank you Phil, and thank you VERY much for testing every new mode that comes along.

                          --
                          Philw de KA1GMN

                        • Phil Williams
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 13, 2010
                            I was talking to Gary, WB8ROL, he uses a SignaLink interface.  He is reporting that he is unable to decode but other stations are able to decode him - like Rob, VK3XQ.

                            philw de ka1gmn

                            --
                            Philw de KA1GMN

                            --