Re: Re : contacts

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1 4:42 AM
      Hi Jonathan
      thanks for your comments, and well done on VK and ZL! As for Rob ZL30MDG don't forget he's got an outstanding antenna with which he can hear the grass grow on other continents! :-) As for my verticals, well, it's the poor man's alternative. No, joke and fictive envy apart, all of us got to live with what we got and make the best of it. Carry on with your attic loop: if it gives you that kind of DX, with the conditions slowly improving you will find some more interesting prefixes in your log. Best wishes!

      Mel: my usual period of operation is between 0500z and 21z, and this is no more than max. 3 hours per day. Very rarely I operate after midnight, only when I can't find sleep - usually a bottle of beer solves that question in half an hour. I know from cluster summaries that I am missing out good dx for not being QRV at e.g. 03z or about. But I need my beauty sleep (even at 65 y.o.a.), so I can only hope to catch the one or other "good" dx at my own operating times.
      You carry on with your oblasts/RDAs; I don't collect them but I like looking up those unusual locators on Google and other maps as those details can be highly interesting and instructive because prior to the fall of the Iron Curtain we had been deprieved of many information.
      Hope to meet you again soon
      vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

      --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Helis KB5IAV <kb5iav@...> wrote:

      > 30 can be unpredictable indeed. Lately, 20 has been so up and down here
      > it's hard to really use it on any mode.
      >
      > This morning(around 1230UTC) I switched to 30 and VK3XQ was booming in
      > in PSK31. I called twice and got him on the second try. First time
      > I've worked VK on 30, on PSK31, and from this QTH. Considering my
      > antenna is a 1/2 wave open loop in the attic, I think that's pretty good.
      >
      > A couple of weeks ago, I worked ZL30MDG on RTTY at around 0400. I was
      > surprised it was booming in so early. 30 can be unpredictable, but it's
      > probably one of the best options until the sunspots pick up.
      >

      > --
      > 73,
      >
      > Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
      > Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA
      >
      > 30MDG# 2189

    • Jonathan Helis KB5IAV
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 2 6:23 PM
        > 1a. Re: Re : contacts
        > Posted by: "dl6xaz" dl6xaz@... dl6xaz
        > Date: Sun Aug 1, 2010 4:42 am ((PDT))
        >
        > Hi Jonathan
        > thanks for your comments, and well done on VK and ZL! As for Rob ZL30MDG don't forget he's got an outstanding antenna with which he can hear the grass grow on other continents! :-) As for my verticals, well, it's the poor man's alternative. No, joke and fictive envy apart, all of us got to live with what we got and make the best of it. Carry on with your attic loop: if it gives you that kind of DX, with the conditions slowly improving you will find some more interesting prefixes in your log. Best wishes!

        Thank you for the compliment. My antenna isn't the greatest, but it
        does work. In addition to what I've mentioned, I've also worked several
        European stations on 30PSK some months back when the band was better.
        I've also worked into Panama and the Caribean with it.

        I've also been trying some other digital modes on 30 and some of the
        other bands. I've been playing around with MFSK16 and DominoEX and have
        made a few contacts. These modes are pretty good and hope more start
        getting into them.

        If you can't set up the biggest, highest, antenna, build what you can
        and get on the air. You never know what you'll find.

        Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
        Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA

        30MDG# 2189