Re : contacts

  • raf3151019
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 28, 2010
      There has always been more activity on 20 metres and this will always be the situation because it is the best band for making contacts with other radio amateurs around the world. Whatever the conditions it always works,and always has since the first days of amateur radio.

      The daily forecasts for the bands indicate the poor conditions which prevail and 30 metres has not been immune. There are more people using the band now than ever since 1988 when it was first made available for our use. Its quite possible that as September approaches there will be a gradual improvement and consequently there will be more users on the band

      Mel G0GQK
    • Lehman, Rex
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 28, 2010

        This morning worked VK3XQ RTTY with a solid 599 into Dayton Ohio . I was running 50 watts to a low inverted V.

        There were only a few other PSK signals but the band was in real good shape into VK land.

        Rex WB8TDG

        Rex Lehman

        Quality Assurance

        Measurement Specialties, Inc.

        2670 Indian Ripple Rd

        Dayton Ohio , 43140

        Office +1.937.427.1231 ext. 292

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 29, 2010
          Last summer it was the very same story that during daytime one could forget about 30m, i.e. between about 09 and 16Z it was a waste of time. This year it is not much different. This will pick up in autumn. In any case, ham radio is when it works or when it doesn't. Fortunately we got a lot of modes and bands to chose from.
          vy73 Fred DL6XAZ #988

          --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "raf3151019" <Gzerogqk@...> wrote:

          > There has always been more activity on 20 metres and this will always be the situation because it is the best band for making contacts with other radio amateurs around the world. Whatever the conditions it always works,and always has since the first days of amateur radio.
          >
          > The daily forecasts for the bands indicate the poor conditions which prevail and 30 metres has not been immune. There are more people using the band now than ever since 1988 when it was first made available for our use. Its quite possible that as September approaches there will be a gradual improvement and consequently there will be more users on the band
          >
          > Mel G0GQK

        • raf3151019
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 29, 2010
            Absolutely true Fred, 30 metres has a range during the day which probably extends to Italy and as you know most of the activity is by regular well known operators in Germany, Poland and a few others spread around western Europe. It isn't really possible to compare radio conditions in a few places in the US to a general situation, and sometimes we are fortunate to "bag" something special, but not often in recent years.

            Looking at the various web clusters one can see the variation in activity in Asia when compared to Europe. There is activity on 12 metres, but there's none in Europe, there is also activity on 15 metres, but none in Europe, and so it continues. The same applies to
            6 metres which is extremely popular in the US but quite frankly, for most of us in Europe,its a dead loss. Take a look at the propagation maps, they tell us all we need to know !

            At the present time from my QTH there is very little PSK activity on any band from the Russian Federation. The odd ones appear ocasionally, but this isn't helping me to find all those locator squares which I need 3,000 miles away. Howeever, ever the optimist I live in hope !

            Kind regards, Mel G0GQK
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 30, 2010
              Cannot agree more, Mel; thank you. What interests me with this band is that it is virtually unpredictable. Switching on in the morning, clicking through the tracks - if any - and being either bored or amazed, that's the norm. This morning at about 0530z I could copy N3NQ in bpsk31, but then during some 3 hours nothing but DL, PA, F and EA, with none of the otherwise ubiquitous RA or UR, even SP was weak. The only interesting was IG9/IK2PZC in CW from Lampedusa Isl. off Libya.
              On the other hand, others reported VK in JT65. I did not get any taker for about 3 dozen CQs in Contestia 8/250 on 10.143,5 but that is not surprising. Also QSB was very deep, as usual, whereas my noise floor was lower than what I have to live with normally.
              Then yesterday night there were a series of interesting signals and prefixes to be worked in CW.
              Hoping for Cycle 24 to pick up? Certainly, but remains to be seen how this will boost your propagation towards the East! Good luck!

              As for 6m, it is not on my menu; occasionally I had a CW QSO but since in DL we are not permitted to do digital modes which are my personal preference, I don't waste time on that band. I know that in the USA they like and use it quite a lot for decades; in the seventies I once built a HW-4 from Heathkit but in Europe it was just a dusty box very soon and was scrapped later.

              vy73 Fred DL6XAZ #988

              --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "raf3151019" <Gzerogqk@...> wrote:

              > Absolutely true Fred, 30 metres has a range during the day which probably extends to Italy and as you know most of the activity is by regular well known operators in Germany, Poland and a few others spread around western Europe. It isn't really possible to compare radio conditions in a few places in the US to a general situation, and sometimes we are fortunate to "bag" something special, but not often in recent years.
              >
              > Looking at the various web clusters one can see the variation in activity in Asia when compared to Europe. There is activity on 12 metres, but there's none in Europe, there is also activity on 15 metres, but none in Europe, and so it continues. The same applies to
              > 6 metres which is extremely popular in the US but quite frankly, for most of us in Europe,its a dead loss. Take a look at the propagation maps, they tell us all we need to know !
              >
              > At the present time from my QTH there is very little PSK activity on any band from the Russian Federation. The odd ones appear ocasionally, but this isn't helping me to find all those locator squares which I need 3,000 miles away. Howeever, ever the optimist I live in hope !
              >
              > Kind regards, Mel G0GQK

            • raf3151019
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 30, 2010
                Good grief Fred, you're an early bird ! I never could get up that early or stay awake half the night even when the bands were humming like they were 20 years ago !

                I regularly look at the DX clusters and I don't see any stations having contacts between Europe and Asia, at least they're not mentioned. Not much happening anywhere really, its just the odd contacts which appear like yours early in the morning. I've been looking at 40 metre DX clusters hoping this band might show promise but its all hoping.

                When I started collecting US counties, way back in '87, I got as far as about 1,500, then the bands dropped out and never really returned. When was the last time you heard Alaska ? Nevada ? Utah ? New Mexico ? These places are as rare as Bird Island, or even St Peter's Island ! That's why I turned my attention east because I don't have a cat in hell's chance in the west,there's more chance of contacting a Vladimir in Yakutsk or Vladivostock !

                Amazing isn't it, getting All States in 6 weeks and last week I couldn't believe my ears when an average CT1 had 'em queueing up for a quick short contact ! Last year I even heard a Russian doing this !

                Regards, Mel G0GQK
              • Jonathan Helis KB5IAV
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 31, 2010
                  30 can be unpredictable indeed. Lately, 20 has been so up and down here
                  it's hard to really use it on any mode.

                  This morning(around 1230UTC) I switched to 30 and VK3XQ was booming in
                  in PSK31. I called twice and got him on the second try. First time
                  I've worked VK on 30, on PSK31, and from this QTH. Considering my
                  antenna is a 1/2 wave open loop in the attic, I think that's pretty good.

                  A couple of weeks ago, I worked ZL30MDG on RTTY at around 0400. I was
                  surprised it was booming in so early. 30 can be unpredictable, but it's
                  probably one of the best options until the sunspots pick up.

                  Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
                  Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA

                  30MDG# 2189
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 1, 2010
                    Hi Jonathan
                    thanks for your comments, and well done on VK and ZL! As for Rob ZL30MDG don't forget he's got an outstanding antenna with which he can hear the grass grow on other continents! :-) As for my verticals, well, it's the poor man's alternative. No, joke and fictive envy apart, all of us got to live with what we got and make the best of it. Carry on with your attic loop: if it gives you that kind of DX, with the conditions slowly improving you will find some more interesting prefixes in your log. Best wishes!

                    Mel: my usual period of operation is between 0500z and 21z, and this is no more than max. 3 hours per day. Very rarely I operate after midnight, only when I can't find sleep - usually a bottle of beer solves that question in half an hour. I know from cluster summaries that I am missing out good dx for not being QRV at e.g. 03z or about. But I need my beauty sleep (even at 65 y.o.a.), so I can only hope to catch the one or other "good" dx at my own operating times.
                    You carry on with your oblasts/RDAs; I don't collect them but I like looking up those unusual locators on Google and other maps as those details can be highly interesting and instructive because prior to the fall of the Iron Curtain we had been deprieved of many information.
                    Hope to meet you again soon
                    vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

                    --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Helis KB5IAV <kb5iav@...> wrote:

                    > 30 can be unpredictable indeed. Lately, 20 has been so up and down here
                    > it's hard to really use it on any mode.
                    >
                    > This morning(around 1230UTC) I switched to 30 and VK3XQ was booming in
                    > in PSK31. I called twice and got him on the second try. First time
                    > I've worked VK on 30, on PSK31, and from this QTH. Considering my
                    > antenna is a 1/2 wave open loop in the attic, I think that's pretty good.
                    >
                    > A couple of weeks ago, I worked ZL30MDG on RTTY at around 0400. I was
                    > surprised it was booming in so early. 30 can be unpredictable, but it's
                    > probably one of the best options until the sunspots pick up.
                    >

                    > --
                    > 73,
                    >
                    > Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
                    > Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA
                    >
                    > 30MDG# 2189

                  • Jonathan Helis KB5IAV
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 2, 2010
                      > 1a. Re: Re : contacts
                      > Posted by: "dl6xaz" dl6xaz@... dl6xaz
                      > Date: Sun Aug 1, 2010 4:42 am ((PDT))
                      >
                      > Hi Jonathan
                      > thanks for your comments, and well done on VK and ZL! As for Rob ZL30MDG don't forget he's got an outstanding antenna with which he can hear the grass grow on other continents! :-) As for my verticals, well, it's the poor man's alternative. No, joke and fictive envy apart, all of us got to live with what we got and make the best of it. Carry on with your attic loop: if it gives you that kind of DX, with the conditions slowly improving you will find some more interesting prefixes in your log. Best wishes!

                      Thank you for the compliment. My antenna isn't the greatest, but it
                      does work. In addition to what I've mentioned, I've also worked several
                      European stations on 30PSK some months back when the band was better.
                      I've also worked into Panama and the Caribean with it.

                      I've also been trying some other digital modes on 30 and some of the
                      other bands. I've been playing around with MFSK16 and DominoEX and have
                      made a few contacts. These modes are pretty good and hope more start
                      getting into them.

                      If you can't set up the biggest, highest, antenna, build what you can
                      and get on the air. You never know what you'll find.

                      Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
                      Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA

                      30MDG# 2189