Re: 30m digimodes USB

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 16 4:28 AM
      Hi Les,
      thanks for the comment. Actually, it is for the first time that I hear about such a suggestion, and I wonder which reasons may support it. As I said, there is no rule laid down; I do RTTY since 1982 and maybe 99,5% of my digital QSOs have been done in USB, changing to LSB only when I hear someone calling CQ on that sideband.
      For the QSO it doesn't make an iota of difference, our transceivers work equally well on both sidebands. The problem arises for the majority of operators who depend on the RSID to identify the mode heard. Even for old radio f..ts like myself it is very difficult to distinguish for example Contestia from RTTYM, and a successful reception of RSID is very helpful; it avoids having to guess around and click through possible modes/speeds, and often decides whether we get a QSO or not.
      This was the reason for my aforementioned suggestion. That one mentioned by you sounds indeed odd.
      vy73 cuagn, Fred DL6XAZ

      --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Les Hill M0ARM" <m0arm@...> wrote:

      > Hi Fred,
      >

      > Ironically, I was reading the RSGB magazine 'RadCom' last night and a
      > data-related article I read from earlier this year suggested LSB! I always
      > use USB whatever the band as the vast majority of operators seem to follow
      > this rule.
      >

      > 73 Les M0ARM

    • Dáithí
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 17 8:07 AM

        As far as I know, USB/LSB depends on the actual mode.

        BPSK will happily work with either USB or LSB and it doesn’t matter what the other guy is using. QPSK definitely needs both stations to be using the same and I would assume other digimodes would be similar (both stations being in the same mode)

        73 de Daithi

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 18 12:51 AM
          Daithi: perfectly right. Because of bpsk being "sideband-neutral", it happens that operators wishing to use other modes don't have a look at their transceiver setting first, send out their cq, with or without tx-rsid, and wonder why nobody comes back to them. Then they switch back to bpsk or to another band, thinking that it is not worth trying. Or they try decoding a signal and get nothing but garbage. One click on the sideband button would solve the problem!
          73s Fred DL6XAZ

          --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Dáithí <gi7omy@...> wrote:

          > As far as I know, USB/LSB depends on the actual mode.
          >

          > BPSK will happily work with either USB or LSB and it doesn't matter what the
          > other guy is using. QPSK definitely needs both stations to be using the same
          > and I would assume other digimodes would be similar (both stations being in
          > the same mode)
          >

          > 73 de Daithi

        • Siegfried Jackstien
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 18 2:28 AM

            Or just click on reverse in your software if possible