Re: [30MDG] : What's happening ?

  • David
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 4, 2010
      Hi David and All.....on 30 mtrs most JT65A operators have shifted to
      10138 the reason being that 10139 where most JT65A was worked was being
      over run with WSPR and PSK31 stations
      between the 14/4 and 30/4 i made 30 contacts with both EU and NA
      stations on that frequency
      most weekends RTTY would also be a problem on 10139....however we try to
      live with things the way they are if possible.....propagation also plays
      a part in how things are....
      BTW VK is considered rare DX in EU on JT65A so i find that if the band
      is open and i put out a CQ im being called by stations as soon as i
      finish a contact....
      as i have a hearing impairment i work digital modes only and usually PSK
      and JT65A
      if a station requests some other mode i will try to oblige

      have fun...its a hobby...dont get ulcers by getting upset

      73 David VK4BDJ

      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 5, 2010
        Hi Dave VK2RD and all others,
        thankfully the times when we scrambled some squadrons to shoot the other down in flames are long gone, so consider yourself flying along happily :-)
        I got no objections against a dx-stn working split 4-7 up when calling on 10139.7 or about. The problem arises from those who don't b...y listen and blast their calls out anywhere (including on top). At least it keeps the 140-143/144 more or less free for us poor sods with 30W psk or less. Maybe the one or other future dxpedition operator reads this and keeps it on mind. Compliments to E4X who did so.
        As for CW maybe I did not say exactly what I meant: I observe that the style of QSOs has changed from the classical exchange of info/courtesies with at least 4-6 overs, to more and more stns only giving R 5NN bk and getting the same in return. This also refers to a lot of European operators who seems to collect callsigns rather than really having QSOs. Possibly I am a bit oldfashioned though as I would dearly miss a good comfy CW QSOs during which I can write the log, have sips of me tea, acknowledge orders of who must be obeyed, and the like.
        Consider yourself lucky that in your country the use of 30m is handled so liberally.
        Gentlemen, let's continue being what we are, and enjoy this band. Hope to work you one day.
        vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

        --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "David Myers" <davem@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > Fred is correct in that the band plan is suggested as a guide only. It is not set in Stone!
        > This is so other, like minded operators know where to find certain modes of operation.
        >
        > Yes, 10.140 is recognized as the World Wide frequency for PSK and like modes.
        > What we need to do is EDUCATE the likes of E4X, TL0A etc to move to 10.144 -10.148
        > and leave 140 alone. Indeed they can operate wherever they like, but would be nice to have
        > a DX portion set aside for DX-peditions to congregate. It works well on 20 mtrs for example
        > with 14.070 for PSK, 076 for JT65, 080-090 RTTY 14.105-107.5 Olivia. Why not 30 mtrs.
        >
        > As for disparities between the Regions.. We here in VK are permitted phone operation on 30 mtrs.
        > and even our National body at one time conducted a weekly Newscast on 10.125 SSB.
        > 30 mtrs is no different than 20, 40 15 etc. I can operate CW wherever I wish, I can use phone or other
        > modes anywhere on the band, BUT!! The outcry from other opp's would be deafening to say the least
        > and I also would not have anyone to communicate with in my chosen mode.
        >
        > As long as I stay within my License requirements. I can technically operate where I wish. I realise that
        > other Country Authorities have set various restrictions on the band, but should not dictate the use
        > of a certain mode on a particular frequency. The band plans only suggest this. It is a "Gentlemans" agreement.
        >
        > CW being outdated! There is more CW operation now than when it was dropped as a license requirement.
        > If one listens around or looks at announced DX operations one will find that the majority use CW,
        > especially at the low end of the sunspot cycle.
        >
        > Just my two bob, 20 cents, 20p or whatever it's worth these days. Shoot me down if you wish.
        >

        > Dave VK2RD
        >
        > 30MDG # 39
        > DMC # 775
        >
        > Forget the Internet. Come and talk to real people.
        > Amateur Radio, The place to be.

      • Tim Browning
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 6, 2010

          Holly Crap……. I never realized by asking a question it could turn into this kind of responding and discussion.  Next time, I’m gonna keep myself in the dark and not ask…. HI  HI.

          73 and Thanks all,

          Tim (KB3NPH)

        • phil williams
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 6, 2010
            It good that these types questions are asked as it make people think.

            PhilW de KA1GMN