Re: File - 30MDG Members Weekend-1st Weekend every month

    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 8, 2010
      Hello Jerry AF6MW,

      Thank you for the reply and sorry my reply was so slow (Spring Break here and the kids seem to think they are on vacation hihi). I'm not sure these are needed any longer since most times when I turn the rig on in the shack there is activity now on the 30 meter band most anytime (of course not as active here in the States as it is in EU). Your repsonse was the only one thus far in favor of keeping these and no others have replied. If I get more replies saying keep them then we will do just that and put a schedule back up for 2010 and on the 30MDG main site. Not sure but so far I don't think needed...maybe something I can put in the 'Polls' section and we see what others think if they wish not to reply in a message post here.

      Thanks again though for your reply....btw when you say 'antenna challenged' what kind of antenna for 30m are you using? I have had great success in making many a contact on many of ops on 30m with limited antennas or qrp power so the band is open just at times either contitions/prop not there or the band in good shape and no one around at the moment....keep at it though and you will have success.

      Any others want to reply to this subject in favor or against monthly members weekends? Please feel free to do so here or email kb9umt AT arrl.net

      We also still plan on a few 30mdg 'event' weekends but just a few a year so although we don't plan many I think those are still fun but not sure what others think of keeping those or not keeping those too.

      Thanks

      Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001

      --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Johnston" <jjohnston3@...> wrote:

      > Don,
      >
      > I would like to request that we continue to encourage activity on the same
      > schedule as before. I am antenna challenged and it helps when activity is
      > concentrated as happens when we have our "special weekends."
      >
      > Additionally, although I am retired, I am working full time on the U. S.
      > Census so my operating time is limited. Every bit of concentrated activity
      > helps if I am not working at the time.
      >
      > Whatever is decided, I vote with the majority. I have never met a nicer
      > group than those we find on this band, and especially on this list.
      >
      > 72 and 73,
      > Jerry
      > AF6MW

    • Jerry Johnston
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 11, 2010
        Don,

        Sorry to be late responding to your email but was working and away for a
        time. By "antenna challenged" I meant that I live in a CC&R community where
        visible antennas are not a good idea. I have experimented with verticals
        which I temporarily attach to a vehicle parked in my driveway. These have
        been both home brew and Hamstick variety but all were less than ideal.

        Currently I am using a 1/4 wave horizontally mounted piece of 28 gauge wire
        using a piece of aluminum flashing on my roof as a counterpoise. This works
        fairly well and, of course, all of them will appear to be better as
        conditions improve due to sunspot activity.

        Jerry
        AF6MW