The story of my high SWR

  • Barry
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2 2:32 PM
      Hi, I have been trying for the last two days to find out why all the bands
      on my Hustler 6-BTV had suddenly high SWR readings,
      To cut a long story short I found the coax had teeth marks on it and had
      been cut right through, I think it may have been a rat.
      The replacement coax will need a longer bit of garden hose to protect it.
      I hope you all have a nice Easter,
      73
      Barry M0IOW, 30MDG#013
    • de n6hpx_du1
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2 3:51 PM
        I have never had the problem but you might think of some plastic PVC pipeing to cover it. Seen something like it in some overseas places that was buried to the antenna connections

        Ph:8082531271
        du1/n6hpx  cavite  philippines
        ex:du3/n6hpx , VQ9LF diego garcia
        member:american radio relay league
        QRV:
        7085 khz Am/Pinoy group,
        7095 khz PARA net
        6m:50110 USB,50125 USB
        70cm:431.910 Quezon 2m 146.640 San Diego Otay
        Sailors Net: 14305 USB
        http://myradioworldandcatches.blogspot.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3 2:21 AM
          To stay in the spirit of Easter... are you sure it wasn't the easter bunny that ate through your coax? They are known to do this to go to those hard to find places and hide the eggs...

          Who knows Barry, we might even make a qso now that you have coax running all the way to your antenna :-)

          Happy Easter all!

          73 de Richard PA3GWH

          --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Barry" <Barry@...> wrote:

          > Hi, I have been trying for the last two days to find out why all the bands
          > on my Hustler 6-BTV had suddenly high SWR readings,
          > To cut a long story short I found the coax had teeth marks on it and had
          > been cut right through, I think it may have been a rat.
          > The replacement coax will need a longer bit of garden hose to protect it.
          > I hope you all have a nice Easter,
          > 73
          > Barry M0IOW, 30MDG#013

        • Don Leitch
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3 12:41 PM

            I to had an odd high swr suddenly out of the blue on both my verticals

            Ones a vhf uhf on top of the 30 foot mast and the other is by 6 band vertical a diamond.

            Both have a pl259 screwed on at the base inside an upside down tube and protected from the weather .No way water gets in there.

            But twice when I pulled them down to check, a BIG spider was sitting over the pl259 shorting it out to the tube

            I thought I would have fried him.

            Don zl1atb