Re: [30MDG] File - 30MDG Members Weekend-1st Weekend every month

  • Eddy Vaesen
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 1, 2010
      It's the 1st of april  ;-) ???

      Regards, 73
      ON7KEI de Eddy

      http://www.on7kei.be

      ====================================

      2010/4/1 Chris Danis <cdanis@...>

      Maybe it is time to update this auto-posting with a list of 2010 dates? :-)

      73
      -chris N2YYZ

      On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 10:37 AM, <30MDG@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      30MDG Member Weekends (2009)

      April 4th and 5th

      May 2nd and 3rd

      June 6th and 7th

      July 4th and 5th

      August 1st and 2nd

      September 5th and 6th

      October 3rd and 4th

      November 7th and 8th

      December 5th and 6th

      30MDG Members Weekends...please join in with other 30MDG Members and get on the 30 Meter Band these weekends. Get on the band and have some fun from ragchew to other 30MDG Members to DX 30MDG Members...or try some modes other than BPSK31 (like Hell, WSJT WSPR/ WSJT JT65, MFSK, Olivia, etc). Suggested 10.140 to 10.141 qrp lower wattage PSK, 10.141 to 10.142 PSK, wider modes above 10.142 again suggested...also suggested best times if you only have a few hours is from 2000z to 2300z. Have fun and hope to see you on the waterfall.

      http://www.hamspots.net/30/

      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 1, 2010
        Chris N2YYZ, Eddy ON7KEI and all,

        I would like to think it was like Eddy said and an 'April fools' but the only fool was me (kb9umt) not knowing this file as still marked to be sent monthly!

        My mistake and I thought I had all the Yahoo Calendar Reminders off for those 2009 Member Weekends but I forgot about the monthly file that was marked to be sent to the group...my error and my apology.

        I'm not sure the Member Weekends are needed for 2010 forward since the 30 Meter Band seems to be active most weekends...What do you all think? We can sure put them on the list and reminder again if others here think they are still needed.

        Thanks
        Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001

        --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Vaesen <eddy@...> wrote:

        > It's the 1st of april ;-) ???
        >
        > Regards, 73
        > ON7KEI de Eddy
        >
        > http://www.on7kei.be
        >
        > ====================================
        >

        > 2010/4/1 Chris Danis <cdanis@...>
        >

        > > Maybe it is time to update this auto-posting with a list of 2010 dates? :-)
        > >
        > > 73
        > > -chris N2YYZ
        > >

        > > On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 10:37 AM, <30MDG@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        > >

        > >> 30MDG Member Weekends (2009)
        > >>
        > >> April 4th and 5th
        > >>
        > >> May 2nd and 3rd
        > >>
        > >> June 6th and 7th
        > >>
        > >> July 4th and 5th
        > >>
        > >> August 1st and 2nd
        > >>
        > >> September 5th and 6th
        > >>
        > >> October 3rd and 4th
        > >>
        > >> November 7th and 8th
        > >>
        > >> December 5th and 6th
        > >>
        > >> 30MDG Members Weekends...please join in with other 30MDG Members and get
        > >> on the 30 Meter Band these weekends. Get on the band and have some fun from
        > >> ragchew to other 30MDG Members to DX 30MDG Members...or try some modes other
        > >> than BPSK31 (like Hell, WSJT WSPR/ WSJT JT65, MFSK, Olivia, etc). Suggested
        > >> 10.140 to 10.141 qrp lower wattage PSK, 10.141 to 10.142 PSK, wider modes
        > >> above 10.142 again suggested...also suggested best times if you only have a
        > >> few hours is from 2000z to 2300z. Have fun and hope to see you on the
        > >> waterfall.
        > >>
        > >> http://www.hamspots.net/30/
        > >>

        > --

      • Jerry Johnston
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 1, 2010
          Don,

          I would like to request that we continue to encourage activity on the same
          schedule as before. I am antenna challenged and it helps when activity is
          concentrated as happens when we have our "special weekends."

          Additionally, although I am retired, I am working full time on the U. S.
          Census so my operating time is limited. Every bit of concentrated activity
          helps if I am not working at the time.

          Whatever is decided, I vote with the majority. I have never met a nicer
          group than those we find on this band, and especially on this list.

          72 and 73,
          Jerry
          AF6MW
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 8, 2010
            Hello Jerry AF6MW,

            Thank you for the reply and sorry my reply was so slow (Spring Break here and the kids seem to think they are on vacation hihi). I'm not sure these are needed any longer since most times when I turn the rig on in the shack there is activity now on the 30 meter band most anytime (of course not as active here in the States as it is in EU). Your repsonse was the only one thus far in favor of keeping these and no others have replied. If I get more replies saying keep them then we will do just that and put a schedule back up for 2010 and on the 30MDG main site. Not sure but so far I don't think needed...maybe something I can put in the 'Polls' section and we see what others think if they wish not to reply in a message post here.

            Thanks again though for your reply....btw when you say 'antenna challenged' what kind of antenna for 30m are you using? I have had great success in making many a contact on many of ops on 30m with limited antennas or qrp power so the band is open just at times either contitions/prop not there or the band in good shape and no one around at the moment....keep at it though and you will have success.

            Any others want to reply to this subject in favor or against monthly members weekends? Please feel free to do so here or email kb9umt AT arrl.net

            We also still plan on a few 30mdg 'event' weekends but just a few a year so although we don't plan many I think those are still fun but not sure what others think of keeping those or not keeping those too.

            Thanks

            Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001

            --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Johnston" <jjohnston3@...> wrote:

            > Don,
            >
            > I would like to request that we continue to encourage activity on the same
            > schedule as before. I am antenna challenged and it helps when activity is
            > concentrated as happens when we have our "special weekends."
            >
            > Additionally, although I am retired, I am working full time on the U. S.
            > Census so my operating time is limited. Every bit of concentrated activity
            > helps if I am not working at the time.
            >
            > Whatever is decided, I vote with the majority. I have never met a nicer
            > group than those we find on this band, and especially on this list.
            >
            > 72 and 73,
            > Jerry
            > AF6MW

          • Jerry Johnston
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 11, 2010
              Don,

              Sorry to be late responding to your email but was working and away for a
              time. By "antenna challenged" I meant that I live in a CC&R community where
              visible antennas are not a good idea. I have experimented with verticals
              which I temporarily attach to a vehicle parked in my driveway. These have
              been both home brew and Hamstick variety but all were less than ideal.

              Currently I am using a 1/4 wave horizontally mounted piece of 28 gauge wire
              using a piece of aluminum flashing on my roof as a counterpoise. This works
              fairly well and, of course, all of them will appear to be better as
              conditions improve due to sunspot activity.

              Jerry
              AF6MW