Re: ross

    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 16, 2010
      Hi Andy et al.,
      just to complete your statement, the IARU Reg. 1 bandplan states as follows:
      10140 - 10150 500 Hz max bandwidth Narrow band modes – digimodes

      Thus it excludes ROS 2250, SSTV wideband and other wide modes usage on 30m anyway. I wonder why that has not got to the eyes of the ALE141 people yet who frequently ping their signals on 30m ?

      Indeed, Mel made it clear that additionally we should follow the rule that ROS should not be used in the PSK section. I would suggest that this should apply to MFSK, Olivia, RTTY etc. too; there is sufficient space above 10143 for this purpose.

      Well, there will always be those who don't care ...
      vy73 Fred DL6XAZ #988

      --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Andy obrien <k3ukandy@...> wrote:

      > If using it on 30M , please keep in mind the European "gentleman's
      > agreement" that signals on 30M are 500 Hz or less in bandwidth. ROS'
      > earlier version only had a 2.2 kHz signal, it is the latest versions that
      > have the 500 Hz mode.
      >
      > Andy K3UK
      >
      > On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 1:24 AM, James - KB7TBT <kb7tbt@...> wrote:
      >

      > > OK, I am just going on what I have heard, I have done NO research at all.
      > >
      > > Ill just sit back and watch this one and see if there is a new toy under
      > > the tree soon.
      > >

      > > James
      > > KB7TBT
      > > www.kb7tbt.com
      > >

      > > That's not quite accurate – the new version is a lot lower bandwidth, but
      > > it's still spread spectrum – and that's what is stopping US stations from
      > > using it below 222 MHz, according to the FCC regulations.
      > >

      > > Daithi, GI7OMY

    • George Galea
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 16, 2010
        Hello all

        I think that the very latest release version of the ROS software which has the 500Hz, is exactly within parameters so to speak ! so should be ok to use;  and secondly I keep hearing about this 'european gentleman's agreement' may I ask what was it ??
        I am sure there are other out there who does not know what it is.
        And on a personal note, yes I did tried out the ROS mode and I think its a great program.

        best 73's and regards to all
        9H1AA
        George

        just to complete your statement, the IARU Reg. 1 bandplan states as follows:
        10140 - 10150 500 Hz max bandwidth Narrow band modes – digimodes

        Thus it excludes ROS 2250, SSTV wideband and other wide modes usage on 30m anyway. I wonder why that has not got to the eyes of the ALE141 people yet who frequently ping their signals on 30m ?

        Indeed, Mel made it clear that additionally we should follow the rule that ROS should not be used in the PSK section. I would suggest that this should apply to MFSK, Olivia, RTTY etc. too; there is sufficient space above 10143 for this purpose.

        Well, there will always be those who don't care ...
        vy73 Fred DL6XAZ #988

        --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups. com, Andy obrien <k3ukandy@.. .> wrote:

        > If using it on 30M , please keep in mind the European "gentleman's
        > agreement" that signals on 30M are 500 Hz or less in bandwidth. ROS'
        > earlier version only had a 2.2 kHz signal, it is the latest versions that
        > have the 500 Hz mode.
        >
        > Andy K3UK
        >
        > On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 1:24 AM, James - KB7TBT <kb7tbt@...> wrote:
        >

        > > OK, I am just going on what I have heard, I have done NO research at all.
        > >
        > > Ill just sit back and watch this one and see if there is a new toy under
        > > the tree soon.
        > >

        > > James
        > > KB7TBT
        > > www.kb7tbt.com
        > >

        > > That's not quite accurate – the new version is a lot lower bandwidth, but
        > > it's still spread spectrum – and that's what is stopping US stations from
        > > using it below 222 MHz, according to the FCC regulations.
        > >

        > > Daithi, GI7OMY

      • Dáithí
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 16, 2010

          It’s rather more than just a ‘gentleman’s agreement’ – it states in the Region 1 bandplan

          30 10100 - 10140 200 Telegraphy (cw) 10106 kHz: QRP-Frequency, on 30m:no AX25-PR,

          10140 - 10150 500 All narrow band modes contest-free, no unattended op., no bulletins,

          And 500 Hz upwards is NOT ‘narrow band’ in anyone’s book

          73 de Daithi, GI7OMY

          just to complete your statement, the IARU Reg. 1 bandplan states as follows:
          10140 - 10150 500 Hz max bandwidth Narrow band modes – digimodes

          Thus it excludes ROS 2250, SSTV wideband and other wide modes usage on 30m anyway. I wonder why that has not got to the eyes of the ALE141 people yet who frequently ping their signals on 30m ?

          Indeed, Mel made it clear that additionally we should follow the rule that ROS should not be used in the PSK section. I would suggest that this should apply to MFSK, Olivia, RTTY etc. too; there is sufficient space above 10143 for this purpose.

          Well, there will always be those who don't care ...
          vy73 Fred DL6XAZ #988

          --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups. com, Andy obrien <k3ukandy@.. .> wrote:

          > If using it on 30M , please keep in mind the European "gentleman's
          > agreement" that signals on 30M are 500 Hz or less in bandwidth. ROS'
          > earlier version only had a 2.2 kHz signal, it is the latest versions that
          > have the 500 Hz mode.
          >
          > Andy K3UK
          >
          > On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 1:24 AM, James - KB7TBT <kb7tbt@...> wrote:
          >

          > > OK, I am just going on what I have heard, I have done NO research at all.
          > >
          > > Ill just sit back and watch this one and see if there is a new toy under
          > > the tree soon.
          > >

          > > James
          > > KB7TBT
          > > www.kb7tbt.com
          > >

          > > That's not quite accurate – the new version is a lot lower bandwidth, but
          > > it's still spread spectrum – and that's what is stopping US stations from
          > > using it below 222 MHz, according to the FCC regulations.
          > >

          > > Daithi, GI7OMY

        • Don Leitch
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 16, 2010

            A gentlemans agreement means one thinks of other users and dosent use wide band modes of 500Hz in a band used by other users using 100

            Dosent use ritty on top of psk users even though the “rules” say legally you can. There is a portion of the band used by ritty and psk by gentlemans agreement or really what most of us do all the time

            In other words being a gentleman not a prat.

            I am sure ros is a fun mode, so are many others,  we are a little spoilt for choice  But no way I want to bug others so I wont be using it

            Don zl1atb