U30 Awards Program - Splash ladies

  • wa3frp
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 5, 2010
      First of all many thanks to Johann for his excellent program.

      But, what do the "splash Ladies" have to do with 30MDG, Amateur Radio, or the U30 Program.

      I find it a bit embarrassing when I start the program. Am I the only (puritanical) 30MDG member who feels this way?

      Thanks and 73
      Russ WA3FRP
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 5, 2010
        Russ - take it easy: "chacun à son goût!" and let our brilliant programmer John have his little fun. I don't mind these pictures, furthermore they are visible for a second only when firing up the program; my xyl and station manager never complained either...
        vy73 Fred DL6XAZ #988

        --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "wa3frp" <wa3frp@...> wrote:

        > First of all many thanks to Johann for his excellent program.
        >
        > But, what do the "splash Ladies" have to do with 30MDG, Amateur Radio, or the U30 Program.
        >
        > I find it a bit embarrassing when I start the program. Am I the only (puritanical) 30MDG member who feels this way?
        >
        > Thanks and 73
        > Russ WA3FRP

      • Barry
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 5, 2010
          You can turn them off in the setup Russ, but I will keep them.
          Barry M0IOW
          ***************

          First of all many thanks to Johann for his excellent program.

          But, what do the "splash Ladies" have to do with 30MDG, Amateur Radio, or
          the U30 Program.

          I find it a bit embarrassing when I start the program. Am I the only
          (puritanical) 30MDG member who feels this way?

          Thanks and 73
          Russ WA3FRP

          ------------------------------------

          Please join in with us on the 30 Meter Band. When in the shack use the 30
          mtr digital Spots page made possible by Laurie VK3AMA

          http://www.hamspots.net/30/

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Jonathan Kitchen (KI4MTB)
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 5, 2010
            I too would like to see them go away or maybe have a setting to turn it off or on.

            Jonathan, KI4MTB

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 5, 2010
              Barry,

              I've looked and I can't seem to find a way.  Setting the splash time to 0 doesn't appear to do anything.

              Jonathan, KI4MTB

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 5, 2010

                Hello Jonathan, KI4MTB, yes sorry, you can only reduce the time they are on show.

                I do not know if John could put in a zero time?

                73

                Barry M0IOW

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 6, 2010
                  I have to agree with Fred on this - we need some 'lightheartedness' in this world of ours! John is certainly providing us with this along with a brilliant log checking program.

                  These cartoon characters (and that is exactly what they are) are not offensive and appear for milliseconds only! One can see far worse walking down the street! Let's lighten up and enjoy!

                  Rob ZL3RG
                  30MDG #0003

                  --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan Kitchen \(KI4MTB\)" <ki4mtb@...> wrote:

                  > I too would like to see them go away or maybe have a setting to turn it off or on.
                  >
                  > Jonathan, KI4MTB

                • paul_g0uzp
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 7, 2010
                    Hi all..
                    To be honest.. How can they be offensive.
                    You see far worse things in newspapers and TV adverts these days..
                    For goodness sake, lighten up and see it for what it is.. A bit of fun..
                    Graphically speaking I think they are excellent..
                    Wish I had a horse like that.. hi hi..

                    Regards
                    vy 73

                    Paul G0UZP
                  • wa3frp
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 9, 2010
                      Interesting comment Paul. Please explain, if you can, how British TV and newspapers adverts relate to Amateur Radio? Are you missing my point? Or twisting the question?

                      --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "paul_g0uzp" <g0uzpham@...> wrote:

                      > Hi all..
                      > To be honest.. How can they be offensive.
                      > You see far worse things in newspapers and TV adverts these days..
                      > For goodness sake, lighten up and see it for what it is.. A bit of fun..
                      > Graphically speaking I think they are excellent..
                      > Wish I had a horse like that.. hi hi..
                      >
                      > Regards
                      > vy 73
                      >
                      > Paul G0UZP

                    • ve3oij
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 10, 2010
                        I don't mind the splash ladies. They're only visible for about 2 seconds on my computer, and frankly, the drawings are artistic and a good bit more interesting than what you normally see at the start of amateur radio software.

                        It's a bit sophomoric (I recall that's the term my wife, VA3CEW, used when she saw it), but who says amateur radio can't be a little bit of silly fun as well?

                        A more interesting issue is why this was brought to the group rather than send directly to the author? It would seem obvious to me that the topic would be a hot-button between a relatively small number of (likely) US amateurs, and everyone else. Bringing it to the forum could only create acrimony.

                        It's a fact that not everything you see or do in this hobby has a direct relationship to amateur radio. I cringe every time I get a QSL card with a religious symbol on it or a religious greeting on the air, but I let it slide and life goes on. Religion isn't related to amateur radio, and even if I find someone's religion offensive, it's not the end of the world to see a symbol or blessing.

                        As long as Celine Dion or Oprah never appear, I'm cool with the U30 splash.

                        73 de VE3OIJ
                        -Darin

                        --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "wa3frp" <wa3frp@...> wrote:

                        > Interesting comment Paul. Please explain, if you can, how British TV and newspapers adverts relate to Amateur Radio? Are you missing my point? Or twisting the question?
                        >
                        > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "paul_g0uzp" <g0uzpham@> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > Hi all..
                        > > To be honest.. How can they be offensive.
                        > > You see far worse things in newspapers and TV adverts these days..
                        > > For goodness sake, lighten up and see it for what it is.. A bit of fun..
                        > > Graphically speaking I think they are excellent..
                        > > Wish I had a horse like that.. hi hi..
                        > >
                        > > Regards
                        > > vy 73
                        > >
                        > > Paul G0UZP

                      • paul_g0uzp
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 10, 2010
                          NO I am not missing the point or twisting the question..
                          To be honest the splash ladies have nothing to do with amateur radio either... So in this instance I rest my case... QED.

                          I was not being sarcastic or smart guy.. I was replying to your initial post.. and trying to put things in perspective.

                          To which.. I will not reply anymore..

                          G0UZP

                          --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "wa3frp" <wa3frp@...> wrote:

                          > Interesting comment Paul. Please explain, if you can, how British TV and newspapers adverts relate to Amateur Radio? Are you missing my point? Or twisting the question?
                          >
                          > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "paul_g0uzp" <g0uzpham@> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > Hi all..
                          > > To be honest.. How can they be offensive.
                          > > You see far worse things in newspapers and TV adverts these days..
                          > > For goodness sake, lighten up and see it for what it is.. A bit of fun..
                          > > Graphically speaking I think they are excellent..
                          > > Wish I had a horse like that.. hi hi..
                          > >
                          > > Regards
                          > > vy 73
                          > >
                          > > Paul G0UZP

                        • zl3rg
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 10, 2010
                            Ok people - the splash ladies 'have now left the building' - please, no more on this ..... the subject is now closed!

                            Thank you
                            73 Rob ZL3RG
                            Moderator