Re : Web receiver at PA3GWH

  • raf3151019
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2010
      Hello Fred, and group members,

      Not being a Morse man I got excited about Pactor after reading an article about the mode in QST. Along with many I bought Packratt 232MBX from the US because they were cheaper than in the UK and I enjoyed Pactor, and had lots of good contacts with the US. The band was in a better condition during the 90's I'm sure you will agree. Having a contact with the US in the last two years has been a lesson in torture, which shows just how the band has deteriorated. I made a a CQ call one night and had a nice surprise, my first contact with India.

      As you state, we should all try to maintain good operating practices, which unfortunately a small number of users don't, including members of the EPC group who ought to know better than to regularly transmit dirty PSK signals. I always advise them that they need to make some adjustments to improve the signal, but most ignore the advice and continue to pollute the screen. Not good.

      Its a pleasure to operate when the waterfall is all blue, when everybody is using 25/30 watts, then someone arrives and starts blacking out the screen so I change bands because it irritates me.

      Kind regards to all, Mel G0GQK
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 5, 2010
        Hi Mel,
        I got the rtty bug in 1964 and when after 10 years my xyl/stn manager started moaning about the rattle of Siemens T-37 and T-68d in the basement at night, I looked at what might be affordable for a tight purse at that time. So I decided in favour of the MFJ which is still in line and operational. It served for hundreds of Amtor and Pactor1 QSOs, apart from trials with SSTV.
        I must admit that 30m being empty most of the time I did not spend much time then on the band, thus not being aware of the propagation peculiarities we find here. This knowledge has improved by now... :-)
        I use a homemade monoband vertical mounted on the long balcony rail, dispensing from radials, and it is in most cases amazing to see how it performs 2-4 S-points better than any dedicated dipole.
        As for the lousy signal patterns "offered" by some hams, well, telling them is mostly a job for D. Quixote and his windmills; I rarely say something; usually it is not caused by a deficient rig but by overdriven soundcards or cheap unfiltered additional PAs. It is a nuisance, yes. When Peter Martinez introduced the mode some 11 years ago he recommended not putting out more than 30W. It is tempting to turn the knob to the right, indeed, to get the QSO or to make it against QRM-QRN-QSB and at times unavoidable. We should however try to avoid the development found on 20m as kilowatt-alley.
        Thanks for your thoughts.
        vy73 Fred DL6XAZ #988