Re: U30 Awards Program

  • ve3oij
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 3, 2010
      Just to clarify my previous message...

      One of the primary complaints about Windows operating systems is that of security. Dealing with those complaints is a lucrative business :)

      However, irrespective of the measures Microsoft takes to bolster security, user applications keep appearing that require administrative privilege to run, which pretty much wipes out any advances that Microsoft makes in security.

      So what I've been trying to learn is whether developers are constrained to using libraries that force the resulting program to run as admin or not work (i.e. it's effectively Microsoft's fault), or if developers are choosing to do it that way (i.e. it's an education and training issue).

      An example of the latter would be a program that opens a privileged TCP port to receive communication (below 1024) when the same job could be done on a non-privileged port. Doing this would require the program to run as admin, but could easily be fixed to not require admin.

      Any insight you may have would be useful.

      I now return you to your regularly scheduled amateur radio already in progress :)

      73 de VE3OIJ
      -Darin

      --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Johann PESSMANN" <oe3jpk@...> wrote:

      > Hi Jonathan,
      >
      > the hint "You must run U30 as Administrator" will be read over very often - hi hi...
      > The included small manual says:
      > .
      > .
      > REQUIREMENTS
      > ============
      > 1: Windows OS - Windows XP, SP2 or SP3; Windows VISTA; Windows 7
      > Under VISTA and W7 administrator rights are required - for installation and program-start!
    • Tim Browning
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 3, 2010

        I had the same problem.  After downloading and saving the new version, right-click on the new installation program, select properties, go to the compatibility tab, select all users and run as administrater, the select ok.  This installs the software as the admin.  When you click on the icon on the desktop after that it will run properly for you.  That is what solved the problem for me.

        Tim (KB3NPH)

      • Jesse
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 4, 2010
          For me, i did as Tim suggested but afterwards had to do the same thing to the shortcut on the desktop. Go figure. But at least i finally have U30 back up and running :) thanks all for the tips. I'm too lazy to try and learn the ins and outs of Winder's 7.

          ..jesse..
          WB5NPW