Re: [30MDG] U30 Awards Program

  • Jonathan Kitchen (KI4MTB)
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 3, 2010
      That appeared to be the problem.  Thanks.

      Jonathan

      Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 20:44
      Subject: Re: [30MDG] U30 Awards Program

      Hi Jonathan,

      the hint "You must run U30 as Administrator" will be read over very often - hi hi...
      The included small manual says:
      .
      .
      REQUIREMENTS
      ============
      1: Windows OS - Windows XP, SP2 or SP3; Windows VISTA; Windows 7
         Under VISTA and W7 administrator rights are required - for installation and program-start!
      2: an Internet Connection.
      3: Your electronic Log in ADIF format (all log-progs are supported).
      .
      .
      Start U30 as administrator and you will be happy...

      I wish you many fun and success on 30 meters,
      73 de JOHN

      Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 1:55 AM
      Subject: [30MDG] U30 Awards Program

      I just downloaded the U30 Ver 3.00.33 file and installed.  The previous version I had was 2.XX something and I uninstalled prior to installing the new version.  After installing, the program will not start and immediately locks up on the splash screen and I was unable to put in my user information.  To attempt to get past this error, I copied my user file from the ver 2.XX folder and copied into the new folder.  I am basically still getting the same results but am not getting the prompt to enter user information.

      After trying a few other things, I uninstalled and reinstalled with the same results.

      OS is Vista Home Premium SP2.

      Any ideas?

      Thanks,
      Jonathan, KI4MTB
      EM78mc

    • ve3oij
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 3, 2010
        As a person who works in IT security, requirements like this fascinate me. I can understand why administrator privilege is needed to install, but what does U30 do that requires admin privilege to run?

        As far as I can tell, it is a user-level program and should not require admin privileges for any of its obvious functions.

        If you have a chance Johann, could you send me a short blurb on how admin privilege is used by your program after install? I'd really appreciate it.

        73 de VE3OIJ
        -Darin

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 3, 2010
          Just to clarify my previous message...

          One of the primary complaints about Windows operating systems is that of security. Dealing with those complaints is a lucrative business :)

          However, irrespective of the measures Microsoft takes to bolster security, user applications keep appearing that require administrative privilege to run, which pretty much wipes out any advances that Microsoft makes in security.

          So what I've been trying to learn is whether developers are constrained to using libraries that force the resulting program to run as admin or not work (i.e. it's effectively Microsoft's fault), or if developers are choosing to do it that way (i.e. it's an education and training issue).

          An example of the latter would be a program that opens a privileged TCP port to receive communication (below 1024) when the same job could be done on a non-privileged port. Doing this would require the program to run as admin, but could easily be fixed to not require admin.

          Any insight you may have would be useful.

          I now return you to your regularly scheduled amateur radio already in progress :)

          73 de VE3OIJ
          -Darin

          --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Johann PESSMANN" <oe3jpk@...> wrote:

          > Hi Jonathan,
          >
          > the hint "You must run U30 as Administrator" will be read over very often - hi hi...
          > The included small manual says:
          > .
          > .
          > REQUIREMENTS
          > ============
          > 1: Windows OS - Windows XP, SP2 or SP3; Windows VISTA; Windows 7
          > Under VISTA and W7 administrator rights are required - for installation and program-start!
        • Tim Browning
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 3, 2010

            I had the same problem.  After downloading and saving the new version, right-click on the new installation program, select properties, go to the compatibility tab, select all users and run as administrater, the select ok.  This installs the software as the admin.  When you click on the icon on the desktop after that it will run properly for you.  That is what solved the problem for me.

            Tim (KB3NPH)

          • Jesse
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 4, 2010
              For me, i did as Tim suggested but afterwards had to do the same thing to the shortcut on the desktop. Go figure. But at least i finally have U30 back up and running :) thanks all for the tips. I'm too lazy to try and learn the ins and outs of Winder's 7.

              ..jesse..
              WB5NPW