30 Meter Beacons

    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 28, 2010
      Fred DL6XAZ,

      Sorry for the slow reply but just reread and noticed your question on 30m beacons. We have discussed this in the past and for reference go here:

      What is odd is that the IARU 'discourages' beacons on 10mhz but then on their site has a list of them also. Also indicated is that since many of us Amateurs are 'secondary' users of 10mhz 30m band that having unattended beacons would seem not to fit if primary users were interfered with.

      Anyway, thought I would respond on the 30m beacon question.
      Thanks

      Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001

      Below list of 10mhz 30m beacons (not sure how current or if active)

      IARU Region 1 discourages beacon operation on 10MHz (DK0WCY excepted)

      10123 HP1AVS Cerro Jefe FJ09HD 2.5 Slope Dip Omni A1 24
      10129.5 W0ERE HighlandsvilleMO EM36HX 3 G5RV E-W A1 INT
      10130 OK1IF Liberec JO40HG 0.5 A1 ?
      10132.0 VE3TO Nr Ottawa FN25EG 5 1/4 Vert Omni A1 24
      10133 SK6RUD Oxaback JO67KI 0.5 1/4 GP Omni A1 24
      10134 OK0EF Nr Kladno JO70BC .1/.2/.5 1/2 Vert Omni A1 24
      10137.2 IK3NWX Nr MonselicePD JN55VF 4.2 Rot. Dip. E-W A1 24
      10138.7 many WSPR beacons here
      10139V IZ0NHW JN61VL 0.2
      10139.6 PY3PSI Porto Alegre GF49KX 1.6 Hor. Dip N-S A1 IRREG
      10139.7 SV8GXC KM17UW 0.08
      10140.0 Numerous sub-audible QRPP/QRSS3/WSPR beacons around here
      10140.1 including I1YRB, IW0HK, IK4IDP, I1DFS,IQ4FJ,
      10140.1 9H1LO Malta 25mw Horiz Dip fsk 24
      10140.1 IK0IXI 45mw dipole ?
      10140.07IQ2DP San Donate MI JN45PJ 0.4 Vertical Omni 24
      10140.6 DL5KZ Numbrecht JO30SU 0.1 Dipole A1 ?
      10141.05IKHGI Tricati JN45IK 0.1 Dipole QRSS3 24
      10144 DK0WCY Scheggerott JO44VQ 30 Dipole A1,psk 24zz
      rtty
      10149.7 IZ8BZX Torre del GrecoJN70ES .1/.5/1 whip Omni QRSS EXP
      10150 IZ5ILH Firenze JN53PS 2 ?

      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1, 2010
        Thank you, Don, very interesting.
        73s Fred DL6XAZ #988

        --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <dhobson123@...> wrote:

        > Fred DL6XAZ,
        >
        > Sorry for the slow reply but just reread and noticed your question on 30m beacons. We have discussed this in the past and for reference go here:

        > What is odd is that the IARU 'discourages' beacons on 10mhz but then on their site has a list of them also. Also indicated is that since many of us Amateurs are 'secondary' users of 10mhz 30m band that having unattended beacons would seem not to fit if primary users were interfered with.
        >
        > Anyway, thought I would respond on the 30m beacon question.
        > Thanks
        >
        > Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001

        ---------------snip--------------
      • Bob
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 20, 2013
          I'm new to SSTV. I've done a few qsos using MMSSTV and MP73-N. I've also got EasyPal installed and operational.

          I understand that MMP73-N is a narrow band mode and is what one needs to use on 30m if doing analog SSTV. And I presume you could use any Easyapl digital mode on 30m.

          So which one do most hams use on 30m? I do not want to have to run high power, and I'm using a simple 30m dipole at 50 ft. Also, do the two modes use different frequencies?

          I've got to work today but hope to get on late this afternoon for a few qsos.

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013
            Hi,
            I have tried several sstv-program but stuck to MMSSTV. On 30m the only useful mode (due to bandwidth) is MP73N but with weak signals and QRM I didn't enjoy it much, due to distortions and false colours. If you really run around 50W only, I would not give it much hope.
            But SSTV doesn't belong to my favourtie modes anyway, so I didn't give it any specifi efforts.
            Good luck
            vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

            --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <k3mq73@...> wrote:

            > I'm new to SSTV. I've done a few qsos using MMSSTV and MP73-N. I've also got EasyPal installed and operational.
            >
            > I understand that MMP73-N is a narrow band mode and is what one needs to use on 30m if doing analog SSTV. And I presume you could use any Easyapl digital mode on 30m.
            >
            > So which one do most hams use on 30m? I do not want to have to run high power, and I'm using a simple 30m dipole at 50 ft. Also, do the two modes use different frequencies?
            >
            > I've got to work today but hope to get on late this afternoon for a few qsos.
            >
            > 73

          • W. J. Karle
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013
              I weekly have tried to copy the MP73N Saturday test signals.  I rarely see anything.

              This Saturday I did see something!

              Firing up MultiPSK, which works fine in other modes, I only got a broad, yellow-blending-to-red, fully saturated signal on the waterfall.  Gains are set okay.  Waterfall working FB until switching to MP73N.  Rig keys up and sends video.

              Any ideas out there?

              73,

              Bill

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 22, 2013
                Hi Bob,
                I agree with Fred on this and I have had a number of SSTV-N 30m contacts on Saturdays a year or so back...you might try to post to:

                Don KB9UMT 30MDG#0001
                www.30mdg.net