SSTV on 30m

    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 25, 2010
      Hi all,
      just now - 26th Feb 0730z - I am receiving a repeated CQDX in Scottie2 on 10145 from a French stn. As you will know, this is a large bandwidth transmission. According to my own licence conditions I am not allowed to use such modes on 30m, and I wonder whether in other countries this may be permitted ?
      vy73 Fred DL6XAZ #988
    • Andy obrien
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 26, 2010
        Interesting.  People may recall that I recently asked about wide modes, like ROS16,  being used on 30M, The answer from the ARRL this week   seemed to suggested that there was no bandwidth limitation in the USA.  Now Fred's message caused me to recall being informed (last year)  that NARROW SSTV modes like MP73-N could be used on 30M but not regular SSTTV modes like Scottie because they were considered 'too wide".  So now I am confused.

        Andy K3UK

        On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 2:37 AM, dl6xaz <dl6xaz@...> wrote:

        Hi all,
        just now - 26th Feb 0730z - I am receiving a repeated CQDX in Scottie2 on 10145 from a French stn. As you will know, this is a large bandwidth transmission. According to my own licence conditions I am not allowed to use such modes on 30m, and I wonder whether in other countries this may be permitted ?
        vy73 Fred DL6XAZ #988

        __._,_

      • Dáithí
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 26, 2010

          Actually Region 1 Bandplan specifies a MAXIMUM of 500 Hz bandwidth – so Scottie is definitely out for use on the band

          Daithi, GI7OMY

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 26, 2010
            Hi Andy and Daithi,
            thanks to both; the bandplan in DL clearly states "narrow band digital transmissions" which are understood not to exceed 500 Hz. Ok, if someone does a test on a one-only basis, I shall be the last one in the queue to complain as ham radio is about experimenting, learning etc. For this reason I did not name him.
            Therefore I am sure that ROS in its present form is not suitable for Region 1 either, as little as SSTV wide modes. The narrow submode "MP73-N" clearly falls into the allowed definition but sofar I did not hear any actual QSO on 30m.
            With some other hams we discussed that ROS could be an interesting mode provided José Ros could program some variation of 500 Hz; however, it remains to be proven whether it would be equivalent to the existing modes like Olivia, MFSK, PSK125R which have given sufficient evidence of being very robust and reliable - and are rarely used.
            Thanks for your input. vy73 Fred DL6XAZ #988

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 26, 2010
              Hello Fred, Daithi, Andy and All,

              We discussed the narrow SSTV <500hz issue back when starting more digital activity on 30 meters. For reference try message posts:

              Or Andy's (K3UK) narrow SSTV help:
              http://www.obriensweb.com/narrowsstv.htm

              When discussing this as a group we decided that we of course try to include all Regions since this is HF Amateur Radio and digital ops from all over the World and different Regions. Those with the most participation is Europe then U.S. and Canada...there are no width limits stated in U.S. but Canada I think is <1000hz and for EU Region 1 <500hz for the 30 meter band for stated narrow digital modes.

              It was interesting using the narrow SSTV and also MSK16 SSTV pictures on 30 meters and there still is a few narrow SSTV signals at 10.132 where the group decided to set narrow SSTV but the set SSTV for all Regions that was set around 10.143 has no action.

              If they are using regular >500hz SSTV on the 30 meter band in Region1 then I don't think that is allowed...besides that I would think with all the EU digital activity mainly PSK from 10.140 to 10.143 that they would see the band is very busy in that section of 30 meters.

              73 de Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 27, 2010
                Hi Don and friends,
                thanks for this info; I was not aware of these group contributions and shall give them a detailed look.
                I spend quite some time on 30m but never saw any sstv signal there but that may be due to conditions. I once did a trial there with G0UZP which worked.
                Yesterday night there was again ROS16 on 10140 completely wiping out the QRP and WSPR sigs, and disturbing PSK between 10140/143. That mode is off-limits for 30m in whichever speed.
                We also must not forget that a lot of QRP-CW-ops use the part 10130/140 here in Europe so it would not be kind to upset them either. I would favour the proposal for 10143.9 for the sync tone tuning, although we got the WARC beacon at 10144 spot. As I cannot hear it I cannot tell whether it is louder in other areas.
                We shall see how we can carry on but these narrow band sstv submodes and maybe future developments of other digital modes not wider than 500 Hz really deserve some experiments.
                vy73 Fred DL6XAZ #988

                --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <dhobson123@...> wrote:

                > Hello Fred, Daithi, Andy and All,
                >
                > We discussed the narrow SSTV <500hz issue back when starting more digital activity on 30 meters. For reference try message posts:

                > Or Andy's (K3UK) narrow SSTV help:
                > http://www.obriensweb.com/narrowsstv.htm

                -----------------snip -------------
              • Dáithí
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 27, 2010

                  Actually there’s a question mark over the legality of that beacon – the Region 1 bandplan also stipulates ‘no unattended operations’ and a beacon IS unattended

                  It isn’t as far as I know authorised for operation by anyone (IARU, WARC or even a national society)

                  73 de Daithi, GI7OMY

                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 27, 2010
                    Hi Daithi,
                    I am not aware of the situation of that beacon; it is there for quite some years now. The same question arises for that Italian beacon at 10138; I remember there have been some discussions going on about "wild beacons" on 30m and 40m anyway. I am not against beacons as they can be quite useful at times, but on 30m they are operating at very unsuitable spots, in my opinion.
                    vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

                    ------------snip--------------
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 28, 2010
                      Fred DL6XAZ,

                      Sorry for the slow reply but just reread and noticed your question on 30m beacons. We have discussed this in the past and for reference go here:

                      What is odd is that the IARU 'discourages' beacons on 10mhz but then on their site has a list of them also. Also indicated is that since many of us Amateurs are 'secondary' users of 10mhz 30m band that having unattended beacons would seem not to fit if primary users were interfered with.

                      Anyway, thought I would respond on the 30m beacon question.
                      Thanks

                      Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001

                      Below list of 10mhz 30m beacons (not sure how current or if active)

                      IARU Region 1 discourages beacon operation on 10MHz (DK0WCY excepted)

                      10123 HP1AVS Cerro Jefe FJ09HD 2.5 Slope Dip Omni A1 24
                      10129.5 W0ERE HighlandsvilleMO EM36HX 3 G5RV E-W A1 INT
                      10130 OK1IF Liberec JO40HG 0.5 A1 ?
                      10132.0 VE3TO Nr Ottawa FN25EG 5 1/4 Vert Omni A1 24
                      10133 SK6RUD Oxaback JO67KI 0.5 1/4 GP Omni A1 24
                      10134 OK0EF Nr Kladno JO70BC .1/.2/.5 1/2 Vert Omni A1 24
                      10137.2 IK3NWX Nr MonselicePD JN55VF 4.2 Rot. Dip. E-W A1 24
                      10138.7 many WSPR beacons here
                      10139V IZ0NHW JN61VL 0.2
                      10139.6 PY3PSI Porto Alegre GF49KX 1.6 Hor. Dip N-S A1 IRREG
                      10139.7 SV8GXC KM17UW 0.08
                      10140.0 Numerous sub-audible QRPP/QRSS3/WSPR beacons around here
                      10140.1 including I1YRB, IW0HK, IK4IDP, I1DFS,IQ4FJ,
                      10140.1 9H1LO Malta 25mw Horiz Dip fsk 24
                      10140.1 IK0IXI 45mw dipole ?
                      10140.07IQ2DP San Donate MI JN45PJ 0.4 Vertical Omni 24
                      10140.6 DL5KZ Numbrecht JO30SU 0.1 Dipole A1 ?
                      10141.05IKHGI Tricati JN45IK 0.1 Dipole QRSS3 24
                      10144 DK0WCY Scheggerott JO44VQ 30 Dipole A1,psk 24zz
                      rtty
                      10149.7 IZ8BZX Torre del GrecoJN70ES .1/.5/1 whip Omni QRSS EXP
                      10150 IZ5ILH Firenze JN53PS 2 ?

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 1, 2010
                        Thank you, Don, very interesting.
                        73s Fred DL6XAZ #988

                        --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <dhobson123@...> wrote:

                        > Fred DL6XAZ,
                        >
                        > Sorry for the slow reply but just reread and noticed your question on 30m beacons. We have discussed this in the past and for reference go here:

                        > What is odd is that the IARU 'discourages' beacons on 10mhz but then on their site has a list of them also. Also indicated is that since many of us Amateurs are 'secondary' users of 10mhz 30m band that having unattended beacons would seem not to fit if primary users were interfered with.
                        >
                        > Anyway, thought I would respond on the 30m beacon question.
                        > Thanks
                        >
                        > Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001

                        ---------------snip--------------
                      • Bob
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 20, 2013
                          I'm new to SSTV. I've done a few qsos using MMSSTV and MP73-N. I've also got EasyPal installed and operational.

                          I understand that MMP73-N is a narrow band mode and is what one needs to use on 30m if doing analog SSTV. And I presume you could use any Easyapl digital mode on 30m.

                          So which one do most hams use on 30m? I do not want to have to run high power, and I'm using a simple 30m dipole at 50 ft. Also, do the two modes use different frequencies?

                          I've got to work today but hope to get on late this afternoon for a few qsos.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013
                            Hi,
                            I have tried several sstv-program but stuck to MMSSTV. On 30m the only useful mode (due to bandwidth) is MP73N but with weak signals and QRM I didn't enjoy it much, due to distortions and false colours. If you really run around 50W only, I would not give it much hope.
                            But SSTV doesn't belong to my favourtie modes anyway, so I didn't give it any specifi efforts.
                            Good luck
                            vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

                            --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <k3mq73@...> wrote:

                            > I'm new to SSTV. I've done a few qsos using MMSSTV and MP73-N. I've also got EasyPal installed and operational.
                            >
                            > I understand that MMP73-N is a narrow band mode and is what one needs to use on 30m if doing analog SSTV. And I presume you could use any Easyapl digital mode on 30m.
                            >
                            > So which one do most hams use on 30m? I do not want to have to run high power, and I'm using a simple 30m dipole at 50 ft. Also, do the two modes use different frequencies?
                            >
                            > I've got to work today but hope to get on late this afternoon for a few qsos.
                            >
                            > 73

                          • W. J. Karle
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013
                              I weekly have tried to copy the MP73N Saturday test signals.  I rarely see anything.

                              This Saturday I did see something!

                              Firing up MultiPSK, which works fine in other modes, I only got a broad, yellow-blending-to-red, fully saturated signal on the waterfall.  Gains are set okay.  Waterfall working FB until switching to MP73N.  Rig keys up and sends video.

                              Any ideas out there?

                              73,

                              Bill

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 22, 2013
                                Hi Bob,
                                I agree with Fred on this and I have had a number of SSTV-N 30m contacts on Saturdays a year or so back...you might try to post to:

                                Don KB9UMT 30MDG#0001
                                www.30mdg.net