RE: [30MDG] Re: Band closing after sunset...

  • Don Leitch
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 3, 2010

      As far as I know Rob still has a broken antenna for 30 and a broken ankle so cant fix it, I see him playing on 20 every now and then so he's still alive just not kicking

      Don zl1atb

      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 5, 2010
        Don zl1atb,

        I think old Rob got the key out...he is kicking! Look for him soon...either ZL3RG or ZL30MDG that Quad is back in action!

        de kb9umt Don 30MDG#0001

        Rx at Tue, 5 Jan 2010 06:52:49 UTC (very much night time in NA)
        From ZL30MDG by KB9UMT Loc EN50dp
        Frequency: 10.140 MHz (30m), PSK31
        Distance: 8404 miles bearing 61°

        Tue, 5 Jan 2010
        Rcvr Band Mode Distance Time (UTC)
        SA7AGE 30m PSK31 17781 kms 08:46:26
        KG4UPR 30m PSK31 14336 kms 08:38:27
        EB3JT 30m PSK31 19252 kms 08:07:46
        EA1GDL 30m PSK31 19982 kms 07:49:27
        DG3YHD 30m PSK31 18609 kms 07:07:38
        KB9UMT 30m PSK31 13523 kms 06:52:49
        VE1CDD 30m PSK31 15629 kms 06:32:05
        KG6WUN 30m PSK31 11291 kms 05:19:10
        W1BW 30m PSK31 14961 kms 05:15:58
        KD6IL 30m PSK31 11144 kms 05:15:44

        --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Don Leitch" <don@...> wrote:

        > As far as I know Rob still has a broken antenna for 30 and a broken ankle so
        > cant fix it, I see him playing on 20 every now and then so he's still alive
        > just not kicking
        >
        > Don zl1atb

      • Don Leitch
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 5, 2010

          Yes I saw him last night him and a zl2 both hearing stuff I can only dream of .lots of short skip only and both of them  wiping me out oh well the noise levels at s 9 as well.

          Don zl1atb

          I think old Rob got the key out...he is kicking! Look for him soon...either ZL3RG or ZL30MDG that Quad is back in action!

          de kb9umt Don 30MDG#0001

          Rx at Tue, 5 Jan 2010 06:52:49 UTC (very much night time in NA)
          From ZL30MDG by KB9UMT Loc EN50dp
          Frequency: 10.140 MHz (30m), PSK31
          Distance: 8404 miles bearing 61°

          Tue, 5 Jan 2010
          Rcvr Band Mode Distance Time (UTC)
          SA7AGE 30m PSK31 17781 kms 08:46:26
          KG4UPR 30m PSK31 14336 kms 08:38:27
          EB3JT 30m PSK31 19252 kms 08:07:46
          EA1GDL 30m PSK31 19982 kms 07:49:27
          DG3YHD 30m PSK31 18609 kms 07:07:38
          KB9UMT 30m PSK31 13523 kms 06:52:49
          VE1CDD 30m PSK31 15629 kms 06:32:05
          KG6WUN 30m PSK31 11291 kms 05:19:10
          W1BW 30m PSK31 14961 kms 05:15:58
          KD6IL 30m PSK31 11144 kms 05:15:44

          --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Don Leitch" <don@...> wrote:

          > As far as I know Rob still has a broken antenna for 30 and a broken ankle
          so
          > cant fix it, I see him playing on 20 every now and then so he's still
          alive
          > just not kicking
          >
          > Don zl1atb

        • Laurie, VK3AMA
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 5, 2010
            Just a quick note that any outstanding Anza & VK awards will be
            processed after 11-Jan.

            de Laurie, VK3AMA
          • Steve
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 9, 2010
              It is Saturday morning here in Southern California and 30 meters is alive w/ digital signals. Even heard Belgium earlier when the gray line was still in effect.

              The other evening I heard W0PE calling CQ on PSK and thought the band was still open. But he was only 13 miles from me. I should have answered but didn't have the time.

              Hopefully the MUF will stay higher after sunset one of these days.

              73,

              Steve N6VL
              DM03xu
            • raf3151019
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 9, 2010
                --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <n6vl@...> wrote:

                > I am mystified that 30 meters and the higher bands (of course) are closing after sunset when the solar flux has risen the past few months.
                >
                > I've been off the air a few months and returned in December and was surprised to find the band closing so early. If I recall correctly, this time last year 30 meters was still open for a while after dusk. Last night I parked the VFO on 10140 and watched the waterfall for signals. I saw one or two, but very very faint.
                >
                > Any thoughts on this? Are my observations correct?
                >
                > 73,
                >
                > Steve N6VL
                > DM03xu

                Hello Steve,

                The conditions on all bands have actually deteriorated since the new cycle began. Thomas Giella sends in his forecasts once a month, have a look at those and they will give you indications of the current band conditions. The forecast was for the 30 metre band to close at subset

                Kind regards, Mel G0GQK

              • Mike
                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 9, 2010

                  Although the we have Sun Spots from time to time the Solar Flux Index remains low, which is the most important thing to watch.  30m up needs to be at least in the 90’s to have the bands open into the night.  We need some of those huge Solar FlaresJ

                  Mike

                  From: 30MDG@yahoogroups.com [mailto:30MDG@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of raf3151019

                  --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <n6vl@...> wrote:

                  > I am mystified that 30 meters and the higher bands (of course) are closing
                  after sunset when the solar flux has risen the past few months.

                  > I've been off the air a few months and returned in December and was
                  surprised to find the band closing so early. If I recall correctly, this time last year 30 meters was still open for a while after dusk. Last night I parked the VFO on 10140 and watched the waterfall for signals. I saw one or two, but very very faint.

                  > Any thoughts on this? Are my observations correct?
                  >
                  > 73,
                  >
                  > Steve N6VL
                  > DM03xu

                  Hello Steve,

                  The conditions on all bands have actually deteriorated since the new cycle began. Thomas Giella sends in his forecasts once a month, have a look at those and they will give you indications of the current band conditions. The forecast was for the 30 metre band to close at subset

                  Kind regards, Mel G0GQK

                • zl3rg
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 9, 2010
                    30 Meters is alive in lower ZL at night right now (0800 UTC to 1600 UTC)- first on long path and then on short path .... this is our night - north's day!!

                    Rob
                    ZL3RG

                    --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <noddy1211@...> wrote:

                    > Although the we have Sun Spots from time to time the Solar Flux Index
                    > remains low, which is the most important thing to watch. 30m up needs to be
                    > at least in the 90's to have the bands open into the night. We need some of
                    > those huge Solar FlaresJ
                    >

                    > Mike
                    >

                    > From: 30MDG@yahoogroups.com [mailto:30MDG@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
                    > raf3151019
                    >

                    > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com <mailto:30MDG%40yahoogroups.com> , "Steve"
                    > <n6vl@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I am mystified that 30 meters and the higher bands (of course) are closing
                    > after sunset when the solar flux has risen the past few months.
                    > >
                    > > I've been off the air a few months and returned in December and was
                    > surprised to find the band closing so early. If I recall correctly, this
                    > time last year 30 meters was still open for a while after dusk. Last night I
                    > parked the VFO on 10140 and watched the waterfall for signals. I saw one or
                    > two, but very very faint.
                    > >
                    > > Any thoughts on this? Are my observations correct?
                    > >
                    > > 73,
                    > >
                    > > Steve N6VL
                    > > DM03xu
                    >
                    > Hello Steve,
                    >
                    > The conditions on all bands have actually deteriorated since the new cycle
                    > began. Thomas Giella sends in his forecasts once a month, have a look at
                    > those and they will give you indications of the current band conditions. The
                    > forecast was for the 30 metre band to close at subset
                    >
                    > Kind regards, Mel G0GQK

                    > 07:35:00

                  • Mike
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 9, 2010

                      Might be because you are in your summer, longer days and more chance to get the some ionization going.  It will improve here when we get into summer.

                      Mike

                      30 Meters is alive in lower ZL at night right now (0800 UTC to 1600 UTC)- first on long path and then on short path .... this is our night - north's day!!

                      Rob
                      ZL3RG

                      --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <noddy1211@...> wrote:

                      > Although the we have Sun Spots from time to time the Solar Flux Index
                      > remains low, which is the most important thing to watch. 30m up needs to
                      be
                      > at least in the 90's to have the bands open into the night. We need some
                      of
                      > those huge Solar FlaresJ
                      >

                      > Mike
                      >

                      > From: 30MDG@yahoogroups.com
                      [mailto:30MDG@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
                      > raf3151019
                      >

                      > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com
                      <mailto:30MDG%40yahoogroups.com> , "Steve"
                      > <n6vl@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I am mystified that 30 meters and the higher bands (of course) are
                      closing
                      > after sunset when the solar flux has risen the past few months.
                      > >
                      > > I've been off the air a few months and returned in December and was
                      > surprised to find the band closing so early. If I recall correctly, this
                      > time last year 30 meters was still open for a while after dusk. Last night
                      > parked the VFO on 10140 and watched the waterfall for signals. I saw one
                      or
                      > two, but very very faint.
                      > >
                      > > Any thoughts on this? Are my observations correct?
                      > >
                      > > 73,
                      > >
                      > > Steve N6VL
                      > > DM03xu
                      >
                      > Hello Steve,
                      >
                      > The conditions on all bands have actually deteriorated since the new cycle
                      > began. Thomas Giella sends in his forecasts once a month, have a look at
                      > those and they will give you indications of the current band conditions.
                      The
                      > forecast was for the 30 metre band to close at subset
                      >
                      > Kind regards, Mel G0GQK

                      01/09/10
                      > 07:35:00

                    • Laurie, VK3AMA
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 9, 2010
                        All outstanding awards have been processed.

                        de Laurie, VK3AMA

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 9, 2010
                          Laurie VK3AMA,

                          Thanks for the update on the awards processed and if you don't mind can you maybe give a quick overview of the new things added on the Ham Spots for digital spots that you have been working on?

                          http://www.hamspots.net/30/

                          It might be good information for those that use those spot pages or it might be of interest for those new here that might not be using it and want to give it a look over.

                          Thank you for all the hard work you put into the Ham Spot site!

                          Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001

                          --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Laurie, VK3AMA" <groups7@...> wrote:

                          > All outstanding awards have been processed.
                          >
                          > de Laurie, VK3AMA
                          >

                          > Laurie, VK3AMA wrote:
                          > > Just a quick note that any outstanding Anza & VK awards will be
                          > > processed after 11-Jan.
                          > >
                          > > de Laurie, VK3AMA

                        • Laurie, VK3AMA
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 10, 2010
                            Hi Don & group,

                            An update.... not much has been added, but have been working on several enhancements, that hopefully go live in the next month or so.

                            I have quietly added a delete button to local spots. You now have the ability to delete your own local spots (look for the cross).

                            JT65 page added and has been very active.

                            Most enhancements are dependant on me getting a new Callsign/Password login completed. It is working on my development server, but needs to be cleaned up and made presentable. Each user (unless they are just browsing) of the site that wants to spot and use the new alarm features (more on that later) will need too register their callsign and a preferred password (verified by automated email), similar to how most sites work, qrz, eham, etc.

                            This callsign registration is important to allow spotting to the Cluster (new feature coming). I wish to avoid the situation that currently exists where people can use faked or pirated callsigns on DXSummit to post to the Cluster usually fake spots designed to cause people to get angry and annoyed. Authenticated login will prevent HamSpots from being used in this fashion and make it easy to ban people due to misuse.

                            Other enhancements, in no particular order...
                            1. Spotting to the Cluster.
                            2. Public notice board. Individuals can post (and delete their own) notice. This did appear briefly over Christmas during my testing.
                            3. FAQ section to help explain HamSpots, its policies and how to use features. This is ready to go, but I want to have as many of the FAQ's as possible completed before going live.
                            4. Customised local and cluster spot displays (a few months for this one).
                            5. Improved Local Spots display.
                            6. Support for narrower PC Screen widths. Currently only supports 1000 pixels or greater without horizontal scrolling.
                            7. email alerts for wanted callsigns.
                            8. WAS email alerts, configurable for each band.

                            There are some others that are still rather embryonic that I may not pursue so wont announce at present.

                            I am open to suggestions.

                            73 de Laurie, VK3AMA

                            Laurie, VK3AMA wrote:

                            Just a quick note that any outstanding Anza & VK awards will be
                            processed after 11-Jan.

                            de Laurie, VK3AMA

                            ------------------------------------

                            Please join in with us on the 30 Meter Band. When in the shack use the 30 mtr digital Spots page made possible by Laurie VK3AMA

                            http://www.hamspots.net/30/

                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                            <*> Your email settings:
                                Individual Email | Traditional

                            <*> To change settings online go to:
                                (Yahoo! ID required)

                            <*> To change settings via email:
                                30MDG-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                30MDG-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          • Steve
                            Message 13 of 28 , Feb 4, 2010
                              Well it finally happened! The other evening, forget which one, the A index was rather high, around 10. VOA Prop said conditions were poor. 30 meters was still hopping a few hours after sunset, while 20 meters had shut down.

                              Now that is the 30 meters I remember from a year or more ago! Hope to see more of it.

                              73,

                              Steve N6VL
                            • Don Leitch
                              Message 14 of 28 , Feb 4, 2010

                                Well A index is at 11 now and solar x ray

                                level is quiet and astral island dx has been going strong

                                 Making heaps of pileups for the last few days I have head him on rtty and psk all day

                                So something is working here in zl

                                Don zl1atb

                                Message 15 of 28 , Feb 5, 2010
                                  Hello Everyone,

                                  The A index is history! Its what happened yesterday.
                                  The K index is what is happening right now! Its a 4 hour history. This is what we should be paying attention too.

                                  http://www.solarcycle24.com/

                                  Check it out here. This is a great place for space Wx

                                  73 de

                                  AA1IK/P

                                  Ernest Gregoire

                                  Geezer in the park

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Feb 5, 2010

                                    As soon as I said the A was 11  it dropped to nothing grrrrrrrrr

                                    Yeah I like that solar cycle page I watch it about 5 times a day its my addiction lol

                                    And usually works for me, and when the “A” comes up, the next day is usually open as long as there is no flare noise, Its what happens down under.

                                    But hey if a K works for you good on yaah mate hope you have a wonderful time

                                    The A index is history! Its what happened yesterday.
                                    The K index is what is happening right now! Its a 4 hour history. This is what we should be paying attention too.

                                    http://www.solarcycle24.com/

                                    Check it out here. This is a great place for space Wx

                                    73 de

                                    AA1IK/P

                                    Ernest Gregoire

                                    Geezer in the park

                                    --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Don Leitch" <don@...> wrote:

                                    > Well A index is at 11 now and solar x ray
                                    >
                                    > level is quiet and astral island dx has been going strong

                                  • ve3oij
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Feb 7, 2010
                                      --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Don Leitch" <don@...> wrote:

                                      > As soon as I said the A was 11 it dropped to nothing grrrrrrrrr
                                      >
                                      > Yeah I like that solar cycle page I watch it about 5 times a day its my
                                      > addiction lol

                                      I was up late last night... from 0630-0815 UTC the 30 meter band was dead here in eastern VE3.

                                      73 de VE3OIJ
                                      -Darin
                                    • Barry
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Feb 7, 2010
                                        Hi Darin VE3OIJ, yes 30m has been dead here after sunset,
                                        (but must admit not monitored it much in the evening lately.)
                                        There were some stations late in the evening from Argentina around for a
                                        week or so, but couldn't get back to them :-(
                                        One station did respond to say my signal was to weak.
                                        But at around 23.00 UTC last night several stations from Argentina were on
                                        the waterfall again.
                                        And I managed to work LU9XT in BPSK31, the bonus was he is in IOTA SA-008
                                        This was a new DXCC for me on 30m.
                                        We just never know what 30m is going to throw up.
                                        73
                                        Barry, MØIOW. 30 Meter Digital Group #0013
                                        http://www.30mdg.net

                                        > I was up late last night... from 0630-0815 UTC the 30 meter band was
                                        > dead here in eastern VE3.
                                        >
                                        > 73 de VE3OIJ
                                        > -Darin
                                      • zl3rg
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Feb 7, 2010
                                          1700 UTC right now and band active - can see 5 French stations on PSK31 - very strong but not a lot else hi!!

                                          73 de Rob
                                          ZL3RG