Re: [30MDG] VE1CDD......John, what antenna????? BIG difference my friend

  • Phil Williams
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2010
      John,

      Happy New Year.

      My guess was close to what I thought you might be using for antennas.  I had guess that since you are surrounded by salt water, there had to be some vertical antennas involved.

      philw de ka1gmn

      On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 9:18 AM, ve1cdd <ve1cdd@...> wrote:

      Hi everyone

      I'll take this opportunity to pass on my Season Greetings to all and
      hope that 2010 will be a good year for everyone.

      I would like to say a big THANK YOU to you Don and all the others who
      spend many hours of the time (and money) keeping things running. KEEP
      UP THE GOOD .. NO .. GREAT WORK!! Your efforts are appreciated!

      My location certainly plays a big part. Nova Scotia is almost a lsland
      and I live about 20km from the ocean so it all helps.

      Yes, I have done some antenna work this fall. I have added a couple of
      new antennas and replaced the old wire in the 80m Horizontal Loop. I now
      have a 30m vertical loop close to the house that is pointing
      North/South. I mainly use this on the FT-100D that is now online and
      reporting to PskReporter 24/7. This is the reason I appear to be on two
      bands at once and I am reporting myself. (Got to get that automatic
      TX/RX switch built before I cause myself problems)

      The biggest improvement is the 30m Half Square antenna (see CQ Sept
      1994). It is two ¼ phased verticals spaced ½ wavelength apart and
      pointing East/West. There is no ground radials required. The verticals
      are connected at the top and feed from one corner. I am getting better
      reports at 6,000 km to 7,000 Km range then with the horizontal loop.
      When band conditions contacts in the 17,000 km range.

      The conditions have been good in the mornings to Europe. The evenings
      are poor with lots of deep and sharp QSB. Very difficult to have a QSO
      with state side stations. By 2400 UTC the band is usually dead for 4 or
      5 hours. The only good point is that I am seeing a steady but slight
      improvement during the last few months. We can dream of better days.

      73 to all

      John VE1CDD
      Skype Name: ve1cdd-ve1hfx

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2010
        Hi John and all others - happy new year to all.
        Thank you for the detailed description of your antennas and location. This explains why ever so often you are the only transatlantic signal being heard here in Northern-DL. You can bet on me being envious, to certain extent, because I have to live with what I got, and that is limited to a small towel of garden at our terraced house. Nevertheless, after some thorough experimenting, together with Paul GßUZP, we built monoband verticals for 30m which are doing extremely well. Paul's is mounted some 10 in./ 30 cm. above ground, with radials, mine is mounted on a steel balcony rail about 5m above street level without radials.
        But my dreams remains: phased vertical arrays! Maybe in a next life...
        Hope to work you one day, conditions permitting.
        vy73 Fred DL6XAZ #0988