Re: PSK10

  • Silverman, Stephen
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 4, 2009
      Re: PSK10 Has anyone compared PSK10 with or without FEC with Olivia in regards
      to robustness and speed in poor conditions?

      Steve Silverman  KB3SII
    • ka1gmn
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 5, 2009
        Got MultiPSK installed, so I am ready for some PSK10 action this weekend.

        philw de ka1gmn

        --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Ray Smee <rdsmee@...> wrote:

        > I am also interested in making some contacts on PSK10 but will also have to
        > wait for the weekend and I will get the software downloaded and installed
        >
        > Ray Smee N0NM
        >
        > On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 9:23 AM, ed_hekman <ehekman@...> wrote:
        >

        > > I am very interested in trying PSK10 and PSK31FEC but it will have to wait
        > > until the weekend. What software are you using? Is MultiPSK the only
        > > software that supports these modes?
        > >
        > > Ed
        > > WB6YTE
        > >
        > > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com <30MDG%40yahoogroups.com>, Phil Williams
        > > <ka1gmn@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Anyone interested making contacts via PSK10?
        > > >
        > > > philw de ka1gmn
        > > >

        > --
        > Ray Smee
        > Chief of Police
        > Goodland, Ks
        > N0NM

      • Phil Williams
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 5, 2009
          "  PSK10 mode is designed to assure communications with weak ratio Signal-to-Noise ratios down to -17.5 dB with less than 2% errors. The speed is 18 wpm. This mode is very sensitive to the ionospheric Doppler modulation."

          My total experience with PSK10 is one QSO from Texas to NY on 40 meters.  I am not sure how much this is worth.  Probably worth not much and certainly very subjective.

          It's slow.  I use CW shorthand, so the experience was not painful.  The op on the other end used shorthand. The whole QSO was enjoyable.

          It's robust.  Well, that station i was work with was being reported by MultiPSK with an SNR of -5 to -7.  Still was 100 percent copy - guess there was no Doppler shift present ;-).

          philw de ka1gmn