Re: PSK10

  • hillbillietrace
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 4, 2009
      --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Ray Smee <rdsmee@...> wrote:

      > I am also interested in making some contacts on PSK10 but will also have to
      > wait for the weekend and I will get the software downloaded and installed
      >
      > Ray Smee N0NM

      I have been calling CQ on 30 meters from time to time today using
      PSK10.
      It is easy to spot, it is about 1/3 the width of a PSK31 trace! How many of those narrow traces could we fit on 30 meters? hi!
      It is much slower than PSK31 so I have found that using CW abbreviations seems to speed things up somewhat. I hope to be able to work some of you on 30.
      Very 73 to all in the group.
      Glenn (WB2LMV)
    • Silverman, Stephen
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 4, 2009
        Re: PSK10 Has anyone compared PSK10 with or without FEC with Olivia in regards
        to robustness and speed in poor conditions?

        Steve Silverman  KB3SII
      • ka1gmn
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 5, 2009
          Got MultiPSK installed, so I am ready for some PSK10 action this weekend.

          philw de ka1gmn

          --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Ray Smee <rdsmee@...> wrote:

          > I am also interested in making some contacts on PSK10 but will also have to
          > wait for the weekend and I will get the software downloaded and installed
          >
          > Ray Smee N0NM
          >
          > On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 9:23 AM, ed_hekman <ehekman@...> wrote:
          >

          > > I am very interested in trying PSK10 and PSK31FEC but it will have to wait
          > > until the weekend. What software are you using? Is MultiPSK the only
          > > software that supports these modes?
          > >
          > > Ed
          > > WB6YTE
          > >
          > > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com <30MDG%40yahoogroups.com>, Phil Williams
          > > <ka1gmn@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Anyone interested making contacts via PSK10?
          > > >
          > > > philw de ka1gmn
          > > >

          > --
          > Ray Smee
          > Chief of Police
          > Goodland, Ks
          > N0NM

        • Phil Williams
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 5, 2009
            "  PSK10 mode is designed to assure communications with weak ratio Signal-to-Noise ratios down to -17.5 dB with less than 2% errors. The speed is 18 wpm. This mode is very sensitive to the ionospheric Doppler modulation."

            My total experience with PSK10 is one QSO from Texas to NY on 40 meters.  I am not sure how much this is worth.  Probably worth not much and certainly very subjective.

            It's slow.  I use CW shorthand, so the experience was not painful.  The op on the other end used shorthand. The whole QSO was enjoyable.

            It's robust.  Well, that station i was work with was being reported by MultiPSK with an SNR of -5 to -7.  Still was 100 percent copy - guess there was no Doppler shift present ;-).

            philw de ka1gmn