Re: [30MDG] Re: PSK10

  • Phil Williams
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 3, 2009
      Glenn
      Thanks for taking the time to have a QSO via PSK10.  I really appreciate it.

       Wow!  What an impressive mode!

      73

      philw de ka1gmn

      On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 8:36 PM, Phil Williams <ka1gmn@...> wrote:
      Texas

      On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 8:35 PM, hillbillietrace <hillbillietrace@...> wrote:

      --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Phil Williams <ka1gmn@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Glenn. Well, that is the conclusion I came to after reading the
      > description.
      >
      > I am on 40 meters right now. @ 7037.000
      >
      > philw de ka1gmn

      I'm not sure where you are located, we may be too close for 40 now, but I am there.

    • hillbillietrace
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 4, 2009
        --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Phil Williams <ka1gmn@...> wrote:

        > Glenn
        > Thanks for taking the time to have a QSO via PSK10. I really appreciate
        > it.
        >
        > Wow! What an impressive mode!
        >
        > 73
        >
        > philw de ka1gmn
        >

        > You are quite welcome Phil...I enjoyed our QSO very much.
        73, Glenn (WB2LMV)
      • ed_hekman
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 4, 2009
          I am very interested in trying PSK10 and PSK31FEC but it will have to wait until the weekend. What software are you using? Is MultiPSK the only software that supports these modes?

          Ed
          WB6YTE

          --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Phil Williams <ka1gmn@...> wrote:

          > Anyone interested making contacts via PSK10?
          >
          > philw de ka1gmn

        • hillbillietrace
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 4, 2009
            --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "ed_hekman" <ehekman@...> wrote:

            > I am very interested in trying PSK10 and PSK31FEC but it will have to wait until the weekend. What software are you using? Is MultiPSK the only software that supports these modes?
            >
            > Ed
            > WB6YTE
            >
            > Hello Ed,
            Yes only MultiPSK has these modes. Both modes are very robust. The PSK10 trace is very narrow and the PSK31FEC is about twice as wide as PSK31. I would recommend using the RS-ID so others know what mode it is.
            73, Glenn (WB2LMV)
          • Ray Smee
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 4, 2009
              I am also interested in making some contacts on PSK10  but will also have to wait for the weekend and I will get the software downloaded and installed

              Ray Smee N0NM

              --
              Ray Smee
              Chief of Police
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 4, 2009
                --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Ray Smee <rdsmee@...> wrote:

                > I am also interested in making some contacts on PSK10 but will also have to
                > wait for the weekend and I will get the software downloaded and installed
                >
                > Ray Smee N0NM

                I have been calling CQ on 30 meters from time to time today using
                PSK10.
                It is easy to spot, it is about 1/3 the width of a PSK31 trace! How many of those narrow traces could we fit on 30 meters? hi!
                It is much slower than PSK31 so I have found that using CW abbreviations seems to speed things up somewhat. I hope to be able to work some of you on 30.
                Very 73 to all in the group.
                Glenn (WB2LMV)
              • Silverman, Stephen
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 4, 2009
                  Re: PSK10 Has anyone compared PSK10 with or without FEC with Olivia in regards
                  to robustness and speed in poor conditions?

                  Steve Silverman  KB3SII
                • ka1gmn
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 5, 2009
                    Got MultiPSK installed, so I am ready for some PSK10 action this weekend.

                    philw de ka1gmn

                    --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Ray Smee <rdsmee@...> wrote:

                    > I am also interested in making some contacts on PSK10 but will also have to
                    > wait for the weekend and I will get the software downloaded and installed
                    >
                    > Ray Smee N0NM
                    >
                    > On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 9:23 AM, ed_hekman <ehekman@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > > I am very interested in trying PSK10 and PSK31FEC but it will have to wait
                    > > until the weekend. What software are you using? Is MultiPSK the only
                    > > software that supports these modes?
                    > >
                    > > Ed
                    > > WB6YTE
                    > >
                    > > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com <30MDG%40yahoogroups.com>, Phil Williams
                    > > <ka1gmn@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Anyone interested making contacts via PSK10?
                    > > >
                    > > > philw de ka1gmn
                    > > >

                    > --
                    > Ray Smee
                    > Chief of Police
                    > Goodland, Ks
                    > N0NM

                  • Phil Williams
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 5, 2009
                      "  PSK10 mode is designed to assure communications with weak ratio Signal-to-Noise ratios down to -17.5 dB with less than 2% errors. The speed is 18 wpm. This mode is very sensitive to the ionospheric Doppler modulation."

                      My total experience with PSK10 is one QSO from Texas to NY on 40 meters.  I am not sure how much this is worth.  Probably worth not much and certainly very subjective.

                      It's slow.  I use CW shorthand, so the experience was not painful.  The op on the other end used shorthand. The whole QSO was enjoyable.

                      It's robust.  Well, that station i was work with was being reported by MultiPSK with an SNR of -5 to -7.  Still was 100 percent copy - guess there was no Doppler shift present ;-).

                      philw de ka1gmn