Need YOUR Help.....live 30m online psk rxvr 24 x 7 (or as often as you can)

    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 27, 2009
      GE All,

      Well Richard PA3GWH has completed with success this project of cloning what is on-line for 20 Meters live PSK rxvr...go here:

      http://www.rigexpert.com/index?f=receiver

      Some of you noticed Richard's when it was live the other night but he can't run this 24x7...the 30 Meter version Richard has been successful at is here:

      http://aprs.pa3gwh.com/PskRcvR12/Applet/Receiver.html

      My thoughts now to go foward on this little project is can we get one of these to show off the 30 meter band 24x7....would be nice to have EU first since they have more action on the 30m band than NA soooo...any takers on this from EU? How about for NA? Interested?

      I think Richard is interested in running or keeping this for EU but he will need a dedicated other rig (SWL rig or whatever help) to do this so he can also use his other rig for operation on 30m...so maybe I can ask for anyone here or in EU can you help Richard by giving him a good deal on a spare SWL rig or letting him borrow one for this project then return when done..not sure...anyone? help? suggestions?

      I really think that this would be a good PR for 30 meters to show the
      activity...I compared the 20m online PSK action to the 30m PSK action while Richard's was up and in EU anyway it is about equal and very
      interesting (NA is not as busy on 30m as EU but this still would show the action)...others I think will give a look at so I think it would be a win win for us on this to get it going. Rob ZL3RG could link to these and have both the NA or EU ones both on one page on the 30mdg.net pages and show them too (or I think he can anyway).

      Any takers on this here in the group???

      Please let me know here or off list kb9umt AT arrl.net

      Thanks and a big thanks to Richard for letting me bug the crap out of him to give this a try and get it going...TU Richard for being patient with me and giving it a go! Job well done!

      Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001

      If you are wondering what it takes Richard wrote up a small read me file below:

      First off a special thanks to Denis UU9JDR for writing this software and letting
      us play with it!

      What you need:

      - a computer running a webserver (Apache, IIS)
      - this software ;-)
      - a soundcard
      - internet acces from and to this computer
      - a port forward for port 2222 from the internet to the computer running the
      webserver and this software
      so you will need to forward traffic from your firewall/router to this
      computer!
      - a shortwave receiver hooked up to your soundcard and set to 10.143,5 LSB (YES
      LSB, Don't use USB
      or you will notice the frequencies are incorrect!)
      - an antenna :-)
      - Java development kit, which provides javac if you need to recompile anything

      So now to the software

      This software consists of 2 parts, both parts need to run from the same
      computer!
      The computer itself needs to have a webserver installed. I ran it off Apache on
      OpenSuse Linux
      but my guess is IIS will also work.
      Place the files in a subfolder of the document root folder for your webserver
      Windows : inetpub
      Linux : /srv/www/htdocs

      The server part:

      The server part is needed to interface to the soundcard. Depending on your
      computer
      there is 1 file that might need to be changed : Capture.java

      On line 11 of this file you will find the reference to the soundcard.

      final int MIXERN = 1; // 1, 2, 3 etc change this to the soundcard you want to
      use

      So if you have 2 soundcards in your computer, you will have to change this to 2
      or 3 or 4 etc etc
      On Linux with the Signalink, it was number 8!

      If, for some reason, you wish to run the server on a different port then 2222,
      you can change this in
      ClientThread.java line 356

      static final int PSK_PORT = 2222;

      Finally if you want the number of simultaneous clients set to anything other
      then the default which is 20
      this can be changed in PskServerDlg.java on line 484

      static final int MAX_CLIENTS = 20;

      If you change ANYTHING in the sourcecode, that is if you change any .java file,
      you will need to
      recompile the class files and rebuild PskServer.jar

      Recompiling the Server files
      In windows :
      Run Compile.bat to compile the server side, then run ToJar.bat to pack the
      *.class
      files into PskServer.jar. Then run Run.bat to start the server.

      For Linux:
      Change to the Server directory and type
      javac -deprecate -classpath ../Server *.java
      zip PskServer.jar *.class META-INF META-INF/MANIFEST.MF

      The applet part

      The applet part consists of an HTML file Receiver.html and the class file to run
      the applet itself.
      Same principle: if you change anything in the source .java files you will need
      to recompile
      There is nothing of interest in the applet folder to change! The only changes
      needed are in Receiver.html

      Edit the APPLET part of the HTML file to change the applet parameters:

      hostname - address of the machine with the server running
      port - TCP port of the PSK31 server
      password - does not work in this version
      colors - YES to have colors, NO for monochrome display

      Recompiling the Applet files:

      In Windows:
      Run compile.bat

      For Linux:
      javac -deprecate -classath ../Applet *.java

      These will recreate the respective class files need to run the applet.

      Putting it all together

      Once all files are to your liking, go into the Server folder and start the
      server part
      For Windows: Run.bat
      For Linux : java -jar PskServer.jar

      The server part will open a screen showing a waterfall and signals should appear
      on the waterfall.
      No signals? Start reading this document again and change the soundcard number,
      recompile and run again
      until you find the right setting!!

      Now for the applet, start a web browser and browse to your webserver for example
      http://www.yourserver.com/PskRcvR12_30m/Applet/Receiver.html

      The applet should start and show signals coming in.

      That should be it, you can now redirect people to your webserver and let them
      enjoy PSK from your part of the world!

      73 de Richard PA3GWH
      30MDG #0230

      Please visit : http://www.30mdg.net
    • Eddy Vaesen
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 28, 2009

        Good morning Don & also 30MDG's,

        I'm very interested to setup a PSK receiver @ 30meter. I have fort the moment a live SSTV receiver mostly at 20m online, 24/7.

        I have another TRX that I can put online for use@ 30m reception.....
        Just have to make an inverted V for 30m and setup a pc with IIS.

        My locator is JO21RE in the North-East part of Belgium.

        What do you think about it?

        Regards, 73
        ON7KEI de Eddy
        30MDG#1716

        http://www.on7kei.be

        --
        Regards, 73
        ON7KEI de Eddy

        http://www.on7kei.be

        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 28, 2009
          Hello Eddy ON7KEI,

          What do I think? I think that would be GREAT! I will forward you the files needed and if you have questions you can always email Richard PA3GWH (or I will have him email you too). THANK YOU Eddy and I think this is a very worth while project for others to look at what your area of the World is seeing for signals and activity on the 30 meter band.

          So far I think we have someone interested in this project for the West Coast NA and now another in EU ...do we have any more interested?? Anyone in NA on the East Coast? Anyone else in EU? How about anyone in SA? AS?

          Also, Richard is interested in running his online 30m psk rxvr but will need another cheaper additional rxvr so anyone in in EU that might help Richard with locating a cheaper additional rxvr (I use cheap Radio Shack ones here for reporting..DX440 or DX394 both work well for reporting for me). OR if anyone has one at a cheap price to sell Richard???

          Thanks all and so far I think we can get a few of these working and I think it will be interesting.

          Thank you all....again respond here on the forum or I welcome anyone emailing me direct off list kb9umt AT arrl.net

          Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001
          www.30mdg.net

          --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Vaesen <eddy@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > >
          > > Putting it all together
          > >
          > > Once all files are to your liking, go into the Server folder and start the
          > > server part
          > > For Windows: Run.bat
          > > For Linux : java -jar PskServer.jar
          > >
          > > The server part will open a screen showing a waterfall and signals should
          > > appear
          > > on the waterfall.
          > > No signals? Start reading this document again and change the soundcard
          > > number,
          > > recompile and run again
          > > until you find the right setting!!
          > >
          > > Now for the applet, start a web browser and browse to your webserver for
          > > example
          > > http://www.yourserver.com/PskRcvR12_30m/Applet/Receiver.html
          > >
          > > The applet should start and show signals coming in.
          > >
          > > That should be it, you can now redirect people to your webserver and let

        • Eddy Vaesen
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 29, 2009
            Hello Don,

            Ok no problem you can sent me the files so we can do the setup of the server.

            Regards, 73
            ON7KEI de Eddy

            http://www.on7kei.be

            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 29, 2009
              Dr Eddy ON7KEI,
              I have emailed the files last night so you should have them in your email box, please email back if you have received and thanks again. Let me know on your progress or if Richard can help. Many thanks.

              Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001

              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 8, 2009
                GE,

                We have a couple that were interested but at the moment we still have no 30m PSK rxvr online so I'm going to try again. Would anyone like to be the first to have the first 30m psk online rxvr?? I still think this would be a great tool and a win win for the 30 meter band to show the activity on the 30m band and also for 30m users to see others propagation from their part of the World.

                If you are interested please contact kb9umt AT arrl.net

                Thanks
                Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001

                --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <dhobson123@...> wrote:

> [...]
                >
                > These will recreate the respective class files need to run the applet.
                >

                > Putting it all together
                >
                > Once all files are to your liking, go into the Server folder and start the
                > server part
                > For Windows: Run.bat
                > For Linux : java -jar PskServer.jar
                >
                > The server part will open a screen showing a waterfall and signals should appear
                > on the waterfall.
                > No signals? Start reading this document again and change the soundcard number,
                > recompile and run again
                > until you find the right setting!!
                >
                > Now for the applet, start a web browser and browse to your webserver for example
                > http://www.yourserver.com/PskRcvR12_30m/Applet/Receiver.html
                >
                > The applet should start and show signals coming in.
                >
                > That should be it, you can now redirect people to your webserver and let them

              • af6it
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 8, 2009
                  I don't think my ISP would be happy with me if I tried this, but I am curious- what would the minimum connection speed need to be to support the bandwidth of 20 users connected? This is audio stream only? Or is there a remote waterfall view as well? How about minimum system requirements? Sorry if I overlooked this already stated somewhere.

                  Seems to me a central state QTH might be best unless there are more than one.

                  Finally got my Sound Blaster card to make friends with Ubuntu. So far only runs with OSS- still hoping for ALSA or Pulse one of these days. Blast Creative Labs for making a point of ignoring Linux drivers! My onboard sound was not stable enough to suit me- have been off HF for nearly a month. Looking forward to the holidays- have some catching up to do!

                  Stu AF6IT
                • ed_hekman
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 8, 2009
                    Progress Report:

                    Don, Richard,

                    I was able to get the web server working although I haven't tried to open a port on the router to make it accessible from outside my network. I also have not been able to access it from another PC in my own network.

                    I also downloaded and installed the java compiler and have been able to compile the receiver software. But I have not been able to get it to work yet. It reports all the available sound cards but returns an error for every selection.

                    Th next step for me is to learn a little java so I can make some modifications to the program to read a configuration file instead of having to edit the code and recompile for each installation.

                    I think I will need some help from the developer to figure out how to get it working on WinXP.

                    Ed
                    WB6YTE

                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 9, 2009
                      GE Don,

                      Thanks already for the software, we're testing offline for the moment, we had a few failures with the audio card but the problem is solved.
                      My receiver will be online asap !!

                      Regards, 73
                      ON7KEI de Eddy

                      http://www.on7kei.be

                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 9, 2009
                        Hello Stu AF6IT,
                        And thanks for your reply. I don't honestly know what bandwidth would be needed but maybe Richard or one of the others here might have an idea. This is not audio but visual...go here to see the 20m online psk rxvr:

                        http://www.rigexpert.com/index?f=receiver

                        I don't think it would take much to run this but again I will reference Richard that has got his 30m online rxvr going in EU..my thoughts are to have a few of these going for 30m band and see if they are not only a good PR tool to promote the activity we have on the 30m band, propagation from different areas, but also might be a useful tool to see your own signal...fit in a spot between others when the band is busy in other areas...view others point of view for propagation.

                        I agree Central would be best and if I had the know how and the means I would take this task on 100% because I already have one of my receivers/loops and pc reporting 24x7 on 30m activity anyway.

                        I'm glad you are up and running and GL catching up over the Holiday's and hope to meet you on the band Stu..thanks again.

                        Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001

                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 9, 2009
                          Ed,
                          Thanks for the progress report and keep working with Richard on this if you would but there is no doubt in my mind this will work as we had one of these going back in 2002/2003 here in the Central Region for 2 meter PSK to view our signals...back then this same program (or I'm almost sure it is the same) was running Win98. Your next best bet is going straight to the source which is Denis UU9JDR (look his email up on QRZ) and he and Nick both from MixW have always been kind and quick to respond to my emails and willing to share this online rxvr and how it works. I'm very happy you are trying and would be great to have one on the West Coast NA running...Thanks Ed!

                          I know most of us might not want to run one of these 30m PSK online rxvr's 24x7 but if you can run it for any amount of time during the day or night or I know most want to work 30m band so they would shut this down while working the band and that is reasonable too..I report to PSK Reporter even though I'm on the 30m band with no issues I just keep on reporting but when I do tx I'm sure I miss reporting a few stations but for the most part hardly notice. Our best bet on this would be one of our SWL friends in the group give this a go but again anyone anywhere welcome so we might get a few of these going for 30m band.

                          Thanks all

                          Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001

                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 9, 2009
                            Dr Eddy ON7KEI,
                            Many thanks for the update! Let us know when to view and the link so we can share to all for the 30m band in EU!!

                            Thanks
                            Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001

                          • Eddy Vaesen
                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 17, 2009
                              Hallo OM's,

                              I have for the moment a receiver online for the 30 MDG group.

                              You can access this receiver by this link: http://on7kei.no-ip.info:8080/Receiver.html

                              I had to change port 80 to 8080 because my isp is blocking everything below port 1024.
                              The antenna is not constructed for 30m but will try to setup an inverted V for 30m, so for now you can test already and maybe you see your signal on the waterfall......

                              Feedback is welcome !!

                              Regards, 73
                              ON7KEI de Eddy
                              30MDG#1716

                              http://www.on7kei.be

                              **********************************************************************************************************************************

                            • Barry
                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 17, 2009
                                Hello ON7KEI de Eddy, many thanks, all working OK here on the Isle of Wight, southern UK.
                                73
                                Barry M0IOW

                                Hallo OM's,

                                I have for the moment a receiver online for the 30 MDG group.

                                You can access this receiver by this link: http://on7kei.no-ip.info:8080/Receiver.html

                                I had to change port 80 to 8080 because my isp is blocking everything below port 1024.
                                The antenna is not constructed for 30m but will try to setup an inverted V for 30m, so for now you can test already and maybe you see your signal on the waterfall......

                                Feedback is welcome !!

                                Regards, 73
                                ON7KEI de Eddy
                                30MDG#1716

                                http://www.on7kei.be

                              • Glenn L. Roeser
                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 17, 2009
                                  Eddy,
                                  Wow! I always wondered what the activity was like on 30 meters in Europe. This is great!
                                  Thank you, 73, Glenn (WB2LMV)

                                  ************ ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* *

                                • pa3gwh@pa3gwh.com
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Nov 17, 2009
                                    Hey! Finally! Nice to see it working Eddy. One question though, do you have your rig set to USB by any chance in stead of LSB like I wrote in the readme? There seems to be a difference in frequency from what I see here and on your webreceiver.....
                                    TF3PPN is now calling cq at AF 1545 (10.141,545), but shows up at 10.142.3 at your end.

                                    73 de Richard PA3GWH

                                    --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Vaesen <eddy@...> wrote:

                                    > Hallo OM's,
                                    >
                                    > I have for the moment a receiver online for the 30 MDG group.
                                    >
                                    > *You can access this receiver by this link:
                                    > http://on7kei.no-ip.info:8080/Receiver.html*
                                    >
                                    > I had to change port 80 to 8080 because my isp is blocking everything below
                                    > port 1024.
                                    > The antenna is not constructed for 30m but will try to setup an inverted V
                                    > for 30m, so for now you can test already and maybe you see your signal on
                                    > the waterfall......
                                    >
                                    > Feedback is welcome !!
                                    >
                                    > Regards, 73
                                    > ON7KEI de Eddy
                                    > 30MDG#1716
                                    >
                                    > http://www.on7kei.be

                                  • Eddy Vaesen
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Nov 18, 2009
                                      Hello Richard,

                                      Indeed my TRX was still in CW mode  :-(
                                      I did a correction of the mode (to lsb) and also frequency set to 10.143.5. Problem is normally solved.

                                      Thanks for the feedback!!

                                      Regards, 73
                                      ON7KEI de Eddy

                                      http://www.on7kei.be

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Nov 18, 2009
                                        Eddy,

                                        Great job of it!! Thanks and I was watching the EU PSK 30m live action today early before work...neat! I think this could be a great propagation tool...good also for one to see good or bad signals on the band...maybe let a DX station know where to fit in on a busy waterfall in that area of the World...and I think a great PR for 30m band showing we do have digital action on 30 meters.

                                        We hope to have more of these come on line but so far we have:

                                        http://on7kei.no-ip.info:8080/Receiver.html

                                        http://aprs.pa3gwh.com/PskRcvR12/Applet/Receiver.html

                                        I hope soon we will have one for NA and we are working on that so then EU can watch what is going on here in NA or if conditions/propagation allows can see your own signal here in NA.

                                        Great job of leading this Richard PA3GWH and Eddy ON7KEI for getting these going in EU.

                                        I will promote these soon but was hoping before promoting we could get one for NA...also would be nice to have these linked up on the www.30mdg.net site also.

                                        Others here in our 30mdg group both in NA or EU or anywhere...what do you think about these 30m live online PSK rxvrs?

                                        Thanks
                                        Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001

                                        --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Vaesen <eddy@...> wrote:

                                        > Hello Richard,
                                        >
                                        > Indeed my TRX was still in CW mode :-(
                                        > I did a correction of the mode (to lsb) and also frequency set to 10.143.5.
                                        > Problem is normally solved.
                                        >
                                        > Thanks for the feedback!!
                                        >
                                        > Regards, 73
                                        > ON7KEI de Eddy
                                        >
                                        > http://www.on7kei.be

                                        > 2009/11/17 <pa3gwh@...>
                                        >

                                        > > Hey! Finally! Nice to see it working Eddy. One question though, do you have
                                        > > your rig set to USB by any chance in stead of LSB like I wrote in the
                                        > > readme? There seems to be a difference in frequency from what I see here and
                                        > > on your webreceiver.....
                                        > > TF3PPN is now calling cq at AF 1545 (10.141,545), but shows up at 10.142.3
                                        > > at your end.
                                        > >
                                        > > 73 de Richard PA3GWH
                                        > >

                                        > > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com <30MDG%40yahoogroups.com>, Eddy Vaesen <eddy@>
                                        > > wrote:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Hallo OM's,
                                        > > >
                                        > > > I have for the moment a receiver online for the 30 MDG group.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > *You can access this receiver by this link:
                                        > > > http://on7kei.no-ip.info:8080/Receiver.html*
                                        > > >
                                        > > > I had to change port 80 to 8080 because my isp is blocking everything
                                        > > below
                                        > > > port 1024.
                                        > > > The antenna is not constructed for 30m but will try to setup an inverted
                                        > > > for 30m, so for now you can test already and maybe you see your signal on
                                        > > > the waterfall......
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Feedback is welcome !!
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Regards, 73
                                        > > > ON7KEI de Eddy
                                        > > > 30MDG#1716
                                        > > >
                                        > > > http://www.on7kei.be
                                        > > >

                                        > --

                                      • Barry
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Nov 19, 2009
                                          Theses 30m live online PSK receivers are very good, a good way to see band
                                          conditions etc.
                                          Many thanks to all involved.
                                          Barry M0IOW
                                          P.S. hoping my SignaLink USB Sound Card arrives today.

                                          <snip>
                                          > Great job of leading this Richard PA3GWH and Eddy ON7KEI for
                                          > getting these going in EU.
                                          >
                                          > I will promote these soon but was hoping before promoting we
                                          > could get one for NA...also would be nice to have these linked up
                                          > on the www.30mdg.net site also.
                                          >
                                          > Others here in our 30mdg group both in NA or EU or
                                          > anywhere...what do you think about these 30m live online PSK rxvrs?
                                          >
                                          > Thanks
                                          > Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001
                                        • zl3rg
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Nov 20, 2009
                                            Hello Eddy

                                            Working ok here in ZL - look forward to you getting a designated 30 meter antenna up

                                            Mni tnx

                                            de Rob
                                            ZL3RG
                                            30MDG # 0003

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jan 3, 2010
                                              GA,

                                              Just wanted to announce that along with Eddy's ON7KEI online live 30m PSK rxvr we now have Richard PA3GWH that has his running 24x7....go here:

                                              http://aprs.pa3gwh.com/PskRcvR12/Applet/Receiver.html

                                              We will ask Rob ZL3RG to see if he can add Richards's PA3GWH 30m live online PSK rxvr along with Eddy's ON7KEI on the http://www.30mdg.net homepage for all to see and experiment with.

                                              I was hoping that we could get one of these going in NA by now but so far no takers.....anyone in NA want to give it a go with promoting 30m with one of these online 30m PSK rxvrs?? Calling NA....anyone??

                                              if anyone by chance is interested email kb9umt AT arrl.net (subject RE: 30m PSK online rxvr)

                                              Thanks
                                              Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001