Re: File - Any Reports on 30 mtr contacts?....K7RA Solar Update

    Message 1 of 937 , Oct 4, 2009
      http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2009/10/02/11106/?nc=1

      "Dan Prebenda, K9DP, of Richmond, Indiana -- back on the air after 10 years QRT -- is frustrated trying to work fairly short skip on 30 and 40 meters CW around noon to 3 PM local time (1600-1900 UTC when local time is Eastern Daylight Time, which ends November 1 this year). He is experiencing a lot of fading, and the stations he is trying to work are about 300 to 700 miles away, mostly to the east and south of him.

      Dan wonders if 30 meters will get better for this path with higher sunspot counts. I suggested he test some paths and seasonal variation using W6ELprop, a free program. Using either 0 or a smoothed sunspot number of 10, it looks like 40 meters is the best band, although 30 meters looks good 700 miles out to the southwest. I used 39.826 degrees north latitude, 84.896 degrees west longitude for Dan's location, based on the address in his FCC licensing record.

      Philadelphia is about 500 miles almost directly east of him. At that distance, 30 meters doesn't look good until the smoothed sunspot number gets above 50, which is not where we are in the cycle. Same thing with Atlanta, at about 400 miles almost due south. But Dallas -- at about 800 miles and 237 degrees -- looks a lot better, with strong signals on 30 meters, 1400-2300 UTC (10 AM to 7 PM EDT) and a smoothed sunspot number of 2."

      --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Helis KB5IAV <kb5iav@...> wrote:

      > 30 has been kind of flat for me lately too.
      >
      > I did work these 2 stations yesterday afternoon(October 3) though:
      >
      > 2204utc W0TJT
      > 2209utc WD0BFO
      >
      > The QSB was pretty bad, with stations booming in one minute non-existant
      > the next.
      >

      > --
      > 73,
      >
      > Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
      > Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA
      > 30MDG# 2189
      >
      > --
      > 73,
      >
      > Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
      > Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA

    • graham787
      Message 937 of 937 , Aug 25 2:06 PM

        Last 24 hours  on  ROS/Opera  ,

        looks more like a  mexican stand off ,  who  is going to  Tx first !

        G,

        K6AVPK6AVP30mOPERA0 miles15:57:33
        G4FJWG4FJW30mOPERA0 km12:33:12
        VK3XQVK3XQ30mOPERA0 km01:26:50