Re: Is anyone ever on

  • Alan G
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 3, 2009
      Chris. I am jealous. Saw a lot of activity on 20 meters. Maybe there is a hole over me. I will keep trying since 30 is my favorite. Good luck. Bob

      --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, N9JCA Chris Matthews <n9jca@...> wrote:

      > If it worth anything I have been working the TARA RUMBLE since 00:00z
      > today and only had
      > 28 QSO's as of 19:00 hrs Guess the bands are Bad all over
      >
      > N9JCA Chris 30MDG# 0333
      >
      > Alan G wrote:
      > >

      > > I am loyal and keep trying but have seen very little or anything for a
      > > few weeks. 73 Bob

    • zl3rg
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
        It amuses me at times to see some wondering if 30 meters has any activity! If we check out the 30MDG Award table, it can plainly be seen there certainly is plenty of activity on 30 meters!

        Admittedly the top 10 or so of the table, in the main, are using larger (and probably directional) antennas, however most others are not! The secret to success is being on the band at the right time!

        Here in ZL, 30 meters is open in our late afternoon (0400 – 0700 UTC) and then again early morning (1400 -1900 UTC) – armed with that information, that is when I "CQ' … there is no point in trying the band at times other than those as it is closed here! Obviously these times will vary, depending on location.

        Listening to everybody listening does not produce QSO's …… calling CQ CQ CQ does!

        Have fun out there – 30 Meters is a GREAT band

        C U in the pile-up!!

        73 de Rob
        ZL3RG
        30MDG #0003

        --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "ivor peters" <m5ply@...> wrote:

        > m5ply@...
        > HI BOB.
        > SAME HERE IN PLYMOUTH U.K.
        > BAND VERY FLAT.IT ALWAYS TOMORROW HI HI.
        > 73 IVOR/M5PLY

      • Sandy
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
          Wow!!! I looked you up on the 30MDG membership list. You have been busy!!!!  I'm going to be listening for you. I love 30m.

          Sandy
          KB3HBD
          30MDG 2481

          It amuses me at times to see some wondering if 30 meters has any activity! If we check out the 30MDG Award table, it can plainly be seen there certainly is plenty of activity on 30 meters!

          Admittedly the top 10 or so of the table, in the main, are using larger (and probably directional) antennas, however most others are not! The secret to success is being on the band at the right time!

          Here in ZL, 30 meters is open in our late afternoon (0400 – 0700 UTC) and then again early morning (1400 -1900 UTC) – armed with that information, that is when I "CQ' … there is no point in trying the band at times other than those as it is closed here! Obviously these times will vary, depending on location.

          Listening to everybody listening does not produce QSO's …… calling CQ CQ CQ does!

          Have fun out there – 30 Meters is a GREAT band

          C U in the pile-up!!

          73 de Rob
          ZL3RG
          30MDG #0003

          --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups. com, "ivor peters" <m5ply@...> wrote:

          > m5ply@...
          > HI BOB.
          > SAME HERE IN PLYMOUTH U.K.
          > BAND VERY FLAT.IT ALWAYS TOMORROW HI HI.
          > 73 IVOR/M5PLY

        • n4lec
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 5, 2009
            I can attest to Rob's comment - I've had lots of success working 30 meters around 0400Z, have even worked Rob twice. I generally use my GAP Eagle vertical and less than 40 watts - not bad from Atlanta GA US to New Zealand.

            When it's open 30 meters is one of the best bands I've found!

            73 - Larry - N4LEC

            --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "zl3rg" <richmar@...> wrote:

            > It amuses me at times to see some wondering if 30 meters has any activity! If we check out the 30MDG Award table, it can plainly be seen there certainly is plenty of activity on 30 meters!
            >
            > Admittedly the top 10 or so of the table, in the main, are using larger (and probably directional) antennas, however most others are not! The secret to success is being on the band at the right time!
            >
            > Here in ZL, 30 meters is open in our late afternoon (0400 – 0700 UTC) and then again early morning (1400 -1900 UTC) – armed with that information, that is when I "CQ' … there is no point in trying the band at times other than those as it is closed here! Obviously these times will vary, depending on location.
            >
            > Listening to everybody listening does not produce QSO's …… calling CQ CQ CQ does!
            >
            > Have fun out there – 30 Meters is a GREAT band
            >
            > C U in the pile-up!!
            >
            > 73 de Rob
            > ZL3RG
            > 30MDG #0003
          • Alan G
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 6, 2009
              I agree with you about the band but for the last few weeks it has been empty in my area. I tune it in every day but see nothing nor do I hear anything. I even shoot an arrow in the air but it landeth I know not where. Maybe it is still in the air. I am not on a night being kind of old at 76. Funny thing is that I see a lot of 30DMG persons on 20 meters and know that most of them would like to be on 30. In a few weeks, it will return for me. That is the beauty of ham radio as opposed to land lines or Dstar which I like also. My favorite still remains 30 and 40 meter CW but slim pickings. 73 Bob

              --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "n4lec" <n4lec@...> wrote:

              > I can attest to Rob's comment - I've had lots of success working 30 meters around 0400Z, have even worked Rob twice. I generally use my GAP Eagle vertical and less than 40 watts - not bad from Atlanta GA US to New Zealand.
              >
              > When it's open 30 meters is one of the best bands I've found!
              >
              > 73 - Larry - N4LEC
              >

              > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "zl3rg" <richmar@> wrote:
              > >

              > > It amuses me at times to see some wondering if 30 meters has any activity! If we check out the 30MDG Award table, it can plainly be seen there certainly is plenty of activity on 30 meters!
              > >
              > > Admittedly the top 10 or so of the table, in the main, are using larger (and probably directional) antennas, however most others are not! The secret to success is being on the band at the right time!
              > >
              > > Here in ZL, 30 meters is open in our late afternoon (0400 – 0700 UTC) and then again early morning (1400 -1900 UTC) – armed with that information, that is when I "CQ' … there is no point in trying the band at times other than those as it is closed here! Obviously these times will vary, depending on location.
              > >
              > > Listening to everybody listening does not produce QSO's …… calling CQ CQ CQ does!
              > >
              > > Have fun out there – 30 Meters is a GREAT band
              > >
              > > C U in the pile-up!!
              > >
              > > 73 de Rob
              > > ZL3RG
              > > 30MDG #0003

            • kc2rdg
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 7, 2009
                What frequency you all using?

                --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Alan G" <n2slb@...> wrote:

                > I agree with you about the band but for the last few weeks it has been empty in my area. I tune it in every day but see nothing nor do I hear anything. I even shoot an arrow in the air but it landeth I know not where. Maybe it is still in the air. I am not on a night being kind of old at 76. Funny thing is that I see a lot of 30DMG persons on 20 meters and know that most of them would like to be on 30. In a few weeks, it will return for me. That is the beauty of ham radio as opposed to land lines or Dstar which I like also. My favorite still remains 30 and 40 meter CW but slim pickings. 73 Bob
                >
                > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "n4lec" <n4lec@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I can attest to Rob's comment - I've had lots of success working 30 meters around 0400Z, have even worked Rob twice. I generally use my GAP Eagle vertical and less than 40 watts - not bad from Atlanta GA US to New Zealand.
                > >
                > > When it's open 30 meters is one of the best bands I've found!
                > >
                > > 73 - Larry - N4LEC
                > >

                > > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "zl3rg" <richmar@> wrote:
                > > >

                > > > It amuses me at times to see some wondering if 30 meters has any activity! If we check out the 30MDG Award table, it can plainly be seen there certainly is plenty of activity on 30 meters!
                > > >
                > > > Admittedly the top 10 or so of the table, in the main, are using larger (and probably directional) antennas, however most others are not! The secret to success is being on the band at the right time!
                > > >
                > > > Here in ZL, 30 meters is open in our late afternoon (0400 – 0700 UTC) and then again early morning (1400 -1900 UTC) – armed with that information, that is when I "CQ' … there is no point in trying the band at times other than those as it is closed here! Obviously these times will vary, depending on location.
                > > >
                > > > Listening to everybody listening does not produce QSO's …… calling CQ CQ CQ does!
                > > >
                > > > Have fun out there – 30 Meters is a GREAT band
                > > >
                > > > C U in the pile-up!!
                > > >
                > > > 73 de Rob
                > > > ZL3RG
                > > > 30MDG #0003

              • ed_hekman
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 7, 2009
                  Alan,

                  When you send CQ does it get picked up by any of the spotters? Even though I see no signals on the waterfall I just sent out a CQ and it was picked up by N4NUI.

                  A few of the problems I have encountered in the past few years have been a very high noise level from a computer power supply and a flaky antenna switch in the antenna tuner. I assume you have checked the antenna with an SWR/power meter.

                  I would be happy to set up a sked by EchoLink, Skype, email, telephone, the spotting page, http://www.hamspots.net/30m/, or any other mode of communication you would like to use to see if we can figure out what the problem is.

                  Ed
                  WB6YTE

                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 8, 2009
                    If the band is open I'm usually on 10.141 mhz between 0300Z and 0600Z (2300 ET - 0200 ET).

                    73 - Larry - N4LEC

                    --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "kc2rdg" <kc2rdg@...> wrote:

                    > What frequency you all using?
                    >
                    > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Alan G" <n2slb@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I agree with you about the band but for the last few weeks it has been empty in my area. I tune it in every day but see nothing nor do I hear anything. I even shoot an arrow in the air but it landeth I know not where. Maybe it is still in the air. I am not on a night being kind of old at 76. Funny thing is that I see a lot of 30DMG persons on 20 meters and know that most of them would like to be on 30. In a few weeks, it will return for me. That is the beauty of ham radio as opposed to land lines or Dstar which I like also. My favorite still remains 30 and 40 meter CW but slim pickings. 73 Bob
                    > >
                    > > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "n4lec" <n4lec@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I can attest to Rob's comment - I've had lots of success working 30 meters around 0400Z, have even worked Rob twice. I generally use my GAP Eagle vertical and less than 40 watts - not bad from Atlanta GA US to New Zealand.
                    > > >
                    > > > When it's open 30 meters is one of the best bands I've found!
                    > > >
                    > > > 73 - Larry - N4LEC

                  • David Hutchinson G8SQH
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 8, 2009
                      Bob

                      From here in England, with a whole Watt of BPSK (and other digital
                      modes), I find the band open to the US roughly 2100-2359Z, almost every night. I'm using a homebrew 20/30m trapped vertical, base at 30 feet, 4 radials per band, so nothing exotic.

                      It's not the easiest way to get across the pond - I average a few QSOs/week, but tonight was
                      real good (Venezuela, Oriental NC and a VE in NB) inside 30 minutes.

                      Do keep an eye on WSPR reports (wsprnet.org) - once the 5 Watt east coast stations get to -15dB, there's a  chance I can  work across.  The map doesn't show signal strength directly, but the database search does. (To really cheat, pick the nearest WSPR station to you on the map, and set the map to display reports for only that call. You then see everywhere he's being heard)

                      I must admit - I don't think I have *ever* had a CQ call answered - you just have to watch and get lucky. (just in case you need it - tune your (suppressed) carrier to 10.140 - and you will see 90+% of all the non-RTTY stations within a wide SSB  filter (that is between 10.1403 and 10.1437 MHz). Forget the bandplan :-), this where my (32 KHz wide) waterfall sees almost all the digital action.)

                      I'm at the rig most evenings - happy to set up a sked if you want. NY is a state I heard most days

                      73

                      --David G8SQH

                      Alan G wrote:

                      I agree with you about the band but for the last few weeks it has been empty in my area. I tune it in every day but see nothing nor do I hear anything. I even shoot an arrow in the air but it landeth I know not where. Maybe it is still in the air. I am not on a night being kind of old at 76. Funny thing is that I see a lot of 30DMG persons on 20 meters and know that most of them would like to be on 30. In a few weeks, it will return for me. That is the beauty of ham radio as opposed to land lines or Dstar which I like also. My favorite still remains 30 and 40 meter CW but slim pickings. 73 Bob

                    • kc2siz
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 11, 2009
                        --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Alan G" <n2slb@...> wrote:

                        > I am loyal and keep trying but have seen very little or anything for a few weeks. 73 Bob

                        My guess is that conditions just need to improve a little. I reliably see a lot of activity on 30m and probably spend 90% of my time on either 20m or 30m. At times 30m can seem like a DX goldmine, and that is especially true for me since I became active in CW mode!

                        I will watch for you and will definitely answer your call should I happen upon it.

                        73
                        Steve
                        KC2SIZ
                      • N5ZTW
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 11, 2009

                          I worked YB8EXL at sunrise this morning here in central Texas .

                          Indonesia pretty cool! I saw him work a string of stateside stations. I also saw some JA’s on RTTY

                          Things are improving!

                          Del N5ZTW