Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Is anyone ever on

Expand Messages
  • Alan G
    I am loyal and keep trying but have seen very little or anything for a few weeks. 73 Bob
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 3, 2009
    • 0 Attachment
      I am loyal and keep trying but have seen very little or anything for a few weeks. 73 Bob
    • ivor peters
      m5ply@blueyonder.co.uk HI BOB. SAME HERE IN PLYMOUTH U.K. BAND VERY FLAT.IT ALWAYS TOMORROW HI HI. 73 IVOR/M5PLY ... From: Alan G To: 30MDG@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 3, 2009
      • 0 Attachment
         
        HI BOB.
        SAME HERE IN PLYMOUTH U.K.
        BAND VERY FLAT.IT ALWAYS TOMORROW HI HI.
        73 IVOR/M5PLY
        ----- Original Message -----
        From: Alan G
        Sent: Saturday, October 03, 2009 7:59 PM
        Subject: [30MDG] Is anyone ever on

         

        I am loyal and keep trying but have seen very little or anything for a few weeks. 73 Bob

      • N9JCA Chris Matthews
        If it worth anything I have been working the TARA RUMBLE since 00:00z today and only had 28 QSO s as of 19:00 hrs Guess the bands are Bad all over N9JCA Chris
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 3, 2009
        • 0 Attachment
          If it worth anything I have been working the TARA RUMBLE since 00:00z
          today and only had
          28 QSO's as of 19:00 hrs Guess the bands are Bad all over

          N9JCA Chris 30MDG# 0333

          Alan G wrote:
          >
          >
          > I am loyal and keep trying but have seen very little or anything for a
          > few weeks. 73 Bob
          >
          >
          > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
          >
          >
          > No virus found in this incoming message.
          > Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
          > Version: 8.5.409 / Virus Database: 270.14.3/2411 - Release Date: 10/03/09 06:20:00
          >
          >
        • Alan G
          Chris. I am jealous. Saw a lot of activity on 20 meters. Maybe there is a hole over me. I will keep trying since 30 is my favorite. Good luck. Bob
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 3, 2009
          • 0 Attachment
            Chris. I am jealous. Saw a lot of activity on 20 meters. Maybe there is a hole over me. I will keep trying since 30 is my favorite. Good luck. Bob

            --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, N9JCA Chris Matthews <n9jca@...> wrote:
            >
            > If it worth anything I have been working the TARA RUMBLE since 00:00z
            > today and only had
            > 28 QSO's as of 19:00 hrs Guess the bands are Bad all over
            >
            > N9JCA Chris 30MDG# 0333
            >
            > Alan G wrote:
            > >
            > >
            > > I am loyal and keep trying but have seen very little or anything for a
            > > few weeks. 73 Bob
            > >
            > >
            > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
            > >
            > >
            > > No virus found in this incoming message.
            > > Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
            > > Version: 8.5.409 / Virus Database: 270.14.3/2411 - Release Date: 10/03/09 06:20:00
            > >
            > >
            >
          • zl3rg
            It amuses me at times to see some wondering if 30 meters has any activity! If we check out the 30MDG Award table, it can plainly be seen there certainly is
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
            • 0 Attachment
              It amuses me at times to see some wondering if 30 meters has any activity! If we check out the 30MDG Award table, it can plainly be seen there certainly is plenty of activity on 30 meters!

              Admittedly the top 10 or so of the table, in the main, are using larger (and probably directional) antennas, however most others are not! The secret to success is being on the band at the right time!

              Here in ZL, 30 meters is open in our late afternoon (0400 – 0700 UTC) and then again early morning (1400 -1900 UTC) – armed with that information, that is when I "CQ' … there is no point in trying the band at times other than those as it is closed here! Obviously these times will vary, depending on location.

              Listening to everybody listening does not produce QSO's …… calling CQ CQ CQ does!

              Have fun out there – 30 Meters is a GREAT band

              C U in the pile-up!!

              73 de Rob
              ZL3RG
              30MDG #0003




              --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "ivor peters" <m5ply@...> wrote:
              >
              >
              > m5ply@...
              > HI BOB.
              > SAME HERE IN PLYMOUTH U.K.
              > BAND VERY FLAT.IT ALWAYS TOMORROW HI HI.
              > 73 IVOR/M5PLY
              >
              > ----- Original Message -----
              > From: Alan G
              > To: 30MDG@yahoogroups.com
              > Sent: Saturday, October 03, 2009 7:59 PM
              > Subject: [30MDG] Is anyone ever on
              >
              >
              > I am loyal and keep trying but have seen very little or anything for a few weeks. 73 Bob
              >
            • Sandy
              Wow!!! I looked you up on the 30MDG membership list. You have been busy!!!! I m going to be listening for you. I love 30m. Sandy KB3HBD 30MDG 2481 ... From:
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 4, 2009
              • 0 Attachment
                Wow!!! I looked you up on the 30MDG membership list. You have been busy!!!!  I'm going to be listening for you. I love 30m.
                 
                Sandy
                KB3HBD
                30MDG 2481
                 
                ----- Original Message -----
                From: zl3rg
                Sent: Sunday, October 04, 2009 9:26 PM
                Subject: [30MDG] Re: Is anyone ever on

                 


                It amuses me at times to see some wondering if 30 meters has any activity! If we check out the 30MDG Award table, it can plainly be seen there certainly is plenty of activity on 30 meters!

                Admittedly the top 10 or so of the table, in the main, are using larger (and probably directional) antennas, however most others are not! The secret to success is being on the band at the right time!

                Here in ZL, 30 meters is open in our late afternoon (0400 – 0700 UTC) and then again early morning (1400 -1900 UTC) – armed with that information, that is when I "CQ' … there is no point in trying the band at times other than those as it is closed here! Obviously these times will vary, depending on location.

                Listening to everybody listening does not produce QSO's …… calling CQ CQ CQ does!

                Have fun out there – 30 Meters is a GREAT band

                C U in the pile-up!!

                73 de Rob
                ZL3RG
                30MDG #0003

                --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups. com, "ivor peters" <m5ply@...> wrote:
                >
                >
                > m5ply@...
                > HI BOB.
                > SAME HERE IN PLYMOUTH U.K.
                > BAND VERY FLAT.IT ALWAYS TOMORROW HI HI.
                > 73 IVOR/M5PLY
                >
                > ----- Original Message -----
                > From: Alan G
                > To: 30MDG@yahoogroups. com
                > Sent: Saturday, October 03, 2009 7:59 PM
                > Subject: [30MDG] Is anyone ever on
                >
                >
                > I am loyal and keep trying but have seen very little or anything for a few weeks. 73 Bob
                >

              • n4lec
                I can attest to Rob s comment - I ve had lots of success working 30 meters around 0400Z, have even worked Rob twice. I generally use my GAP Eagle vertical and
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 5, 2009
                • 0 Attachment
                  I can attest to Rob's comment - I've had lots of success working 30 meters around 0400Z, have even worked Rob twice. I generally use my GAP Eagle vertical and less than 40 watts - not bad from Atlanta GA US to New Zealand.

                  When it's open 30 meters is one of the best bands I've found!

                  73 - Larry - N4LEC


                  --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "zl3rg" <richmar@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >
                  > It amuses me at times to see some wondering if 30 meters has any activity! If we check out the 30MDG Award table, it can plainly be seen there certainly is plenty of activity on 30 meters!
                  >
                  > Admittedly the top 10 or so of the table, in the main, are using larger (and probably directional) antennas, however most others are not! The secret to success is being on the band at the right time!
                  >
                  > Here in ZL, 30 meters is open in our late afternoon (0400 – 0700 UTC) and then again early morning (1400 -1900 UTC) – armed with that information, that is when I "CQ' … there is no point in trying the band at times other than those as it is closed here! Obviously these times will vary, depending on location.
                  >
                  > Listening to everybody listening does not produce QSO's …… calling CQ CQ CQ does!
                  >
                  > Have fun out there – 30 Meters is a GREAT band
                  >
                  > C U in the pile-up!!
                  >
                  > 73 de Rob
                  > ZL3RG
                  > 30MDG #0003
                • Alan G
                  I agree with you about the band but for the last few weeks it has been empty in my area. I tune it in every day but see nothing nor do I hear anything. I
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 6, 2009
                  • 0 Attachment
                    I agree with you about the band but for the last few weeks it has been empty in my area. I tune it in every day but see nothing nor do I hear anything. I even shoot an arrow in the air but it landeth I know not where. Maybe it is still in the air. I am not on a night being kind of old at 76. Funny thing is that I see a lot of 30DMG persons on 20 meters and know that most of them would like to be on 30. In a few weeks, it will return for me. That is the beauty of ham radio as opposed to land lines or Dstar which I like also. My favorite still remains 30 and 40 meter CW but slim pickings. 73 Bob

                    --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "n4lec" <n4lec@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > I can attest to Rob's comment - I've had lots of success working 30 meters around 0400Z, have even worked Rob twice. I generally use my GAP Eagle vertical and less than 40 watts - not bad from Atlanta GA US to New Zealand.
                    >
                    > When it's open 30 meters is one of the best bands I've found!
                    >
                    > 73 - Larry - N4LEC
                    >
                    >
                    > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "zl3rg" <richmar@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > >
                    > > It amuses me at times to see some wondering if 30 meters has any activity! If we check out the 30MDG Award table, it can plainly be seen there certainly is plenty of activity on 30 meters!
                    > >
                    > > Admittedly the top 10 or so of the table, in the main, are using larger (and probably directional) antennas, however most others are not! The secret to success is being on the band at the right time!
                    > >
                    > > Here in ZL, 30 meters is open in our late afternoon (0400 – 0700 UTC) and then again early morning (1400 -1900 UTC) – armed with that information, that is when I "CQ' … there is no point in trying the band at times other than those as it is closed here! Obviously these times will vary, depending on location.
                    > >
                    > > Listening to everybody listening does not produce QSO's …… calling CQ CQ CQ does!
                    > >
                    > > Have fun out there – 30 Meters is a GREAT band
                    > >
                    > > C U in the pile-up!!
                    > >
                    > > 73 de Rob
                    > > ZL3RG
                    > > 30MDG #0003
                    >
                  • kc2rdg
                    What frequency you all using?
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 7, 2009
                    • 0 Attachment
                      What frequency you all using?

                      --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Alan G" <n2slb@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > I agree with you about the band but for the last few weeks it has been empty in my area. I tune it in every day but see nothing nor do I hear anything. I even shoot an arrow in the air but it landeth I know not where. Maybe it is still in the air. I am not on a night being kind of old at 76. Funny thing is that I see a lot of 30DMG persons on 20 meters and know that most of them would like to be on 30. In a few weeks, it will return for me. That is the beauty of ham radio as opposed to land lines or Dstar which I like also. My favorite still remains 30 and 40 meter CW but slim pickings. 73 Bob
                      >
                      > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "n4lec" <n4lec@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I can attest to Rob's comment - I've had lots of success working 30 meters around 0400Z, have even worked Rob twice. I generally use my GAP Eagle vertical and less than 40 watts - not bad from Atlanta GA US to New Zealand.
                      > >
                      > > When it's open 30 meters is one of the best bands I've found!
                      > >
                      > > 73 - Larry - N4LEC
                      > >
                      > >
                      > > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "zl3rg" <richmar@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > >
                      > > > It amuses me at times to see some wondering if 30 meters has any activity! If we check out the 30MDG Award table, it can plainly be seen there certainly is plenty of activity on 30 meters!
                      > > >
                      > > > Admittedly the top 10 or so of the table, in the main, are using larger (and probably directional) antennas, however most others are not! The secret to success is being on the band at the right time!
                      > > >
                      > > > Here in ZL, 30 meters is open in our late afternoon (0400 – 0700 UTC) and then again early morning (1400 -1900 UTC) – armed with that information, that is when I "CQ' … there is no point in trying the band at times other than those as it is closed here! Obviously these times will vary, depending on location.
                      > > >
                      > > > Listening to everybody listening does not produce QSO's …… calling CQ CQ CQ does!
                      > > >
                      > > > Have fun out there – 30 Meters is a GREAT band
                      > > >
                      > > > C U in the pile-up!!
                      > > >
                      > > > 73 de Rob
                      > > > ZL3RG
                      > > > 30MDG #0003
                      > >
                      >
                    • ed_hekman
                      Alan, When you send CQ does it get picked up by any of the spotters? Even though I see no signals on the waterfall I just sent out a CQ and it was picked up
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 7, 2009
                      • 0 Attachment
                        Alan,

                        When you send CQ does it get picked up by any of the spotters? Even though I see no signals on the waterfall I just sent out a CQ and it was picked up by N4NUI.

                        A few of the problems I have encountered in the past few years have been a very high noise level from a computer power supply and a flaky antenna switch in the antenna tuner. I assume you have checked the antenna with an SWR/power meter.

                        I would be happy to set up a sked by EchoLink, Skype, email, telephone, the spotting page, http://www.hamspots.net/30m/, or any other mode of communication you would like to use to see if we can figure out what the problem is.

                        Ed
                        WB6YTE

                        --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Alan G" <n2slb@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > I agree with you about the band but for the last few weeks it has been empty in my area. I tune it in every day but see nothing nor do I hear anything. I even shoot an arrow in the air but it landeth I know not where. Maybe it is still in the air. I am not on a night being kind of old at 76. Funny thing is that I see a lot of 30DMG persons on 20 meters and know that most of them would like to be on 30. In a few weeks, it will return for me. That is the beauty of ham radio as opposed to land lines or Dstar which I like also. My favorite still remains 30 and 40 meter CW but slim pickings. 73 Bob
                      • n4lec
                        If the band is open I m usually on 10.141 mhz between 0300Z and 0600Z (2300 ET - 0200 ET). 73 - Larry - N4LEC
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 8, 2009
                        • 0 Attachment
                          If the band is open I'm usually on 10.141 mhz between 0300Z and 0600Z (2300 ET - 0200 ET).

                          73 - Larry - N4LEC

                          --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "kc2rdg" <kc2rdg@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > What frequency you all using?
                          >
                          > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Alan G" <n2slb@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I agree with you about the band but for the last few weeks it has been empty in my area. I tune it in every day but see nothing nor do I hear anything. I even shoot an arrow in the air but it landeth I know not where. Maybe it is still in the air. I am not on a night being kind of old at 76. Funny thing is that I see a lot of 30DMG persons on 20 meters and know that most of them would like to be on 30. In a few weeks, it will return for me. That is the beauty of ham radio as opposed to land lines or Dstar which I like also. My favorite still remains 30 and 40 meter CW but slim pickings. 73 Bob
                          > >
                          > > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "n4lec" <n4lec@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > I can attest to Rob's comment - I've had lots of success working 30 meters around 0400Z, have even worked Rob twice. I generally use my GAP Eagle vertical and less than 40 watts - not bad from Atlanta GA US to New Zealand.
                          > > >
                          > > > When it's open 30 meters is one of the best bands I've found!
                          > > >
                          > > > 73 - Larry - N4LEC
                          > > >
                          > > >
                          > > > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "zl3rg" <richmar@> wrote:
                          > > > >
                          > > > >
                          > > > > It amuses me at times to see some wondering if 30 meters has any activity! If we check out the 30MDG Award table, it can plainly be seen there certainly is plenty of activity on 30 meters!
                          > > > >
                          > > > > Admittedly the top 10 or so of the table, in the main, are using larger (and probably directional) antennas, however most others are not! The secret to success is being on the band at the right time!
                          > > > >
                          > > > > Here in ZL, 30 meters is open in our late afternoon (0400 – 0700 UTC) and then again early morning (1400 -1900 UTC) – armed with that information, that is when I "CQ' … there is no point in trying the band at times other than those as it is closed here! Obviously these times will vary, depending on location.
                          > > > >
                          > > > > Listening to everybody listening does not produce QSO's …… calling CQ CQ CQ does!
                          > > > >
                          > > > > Have fun out there – 30 Meters is a GREAT band
                          > > > >
                          > > > > C U in the pile-up!!
                          > > > >
                          > > > > 73 de Rob
                          > > > > ZL3RG
                          > > > > 30MDG #0003
                          > > >
                          > >
                          >
                        • David Hutchinson G8SQH
                          Bob From here in England, with a whole Watt of BPSK (and other digital modes), I find the band open to the US roughly 2100-2359Z, almost every night. I m using
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 8, 2009
                          • 0 Attachment
                            Bob

                            From here in England, with a whole Watt of BPSK (and other digital
                            modes), I find the band open to the US roughly 2100-2359Z, almost every night. I'm using a homebrew 20/30m trapped vertical, base at 30 feet, 4 radials per band, so nothing exotic.

                            It's not the easiest way to get across the pond - I average a few QSOs/week, but tonight was
                            real good (Venezuela, Oriental NC and a VE in NB) inside 30 minutes.

                            Do keep an eye on WSPR reports (wsprnet.org) - once the 5 Watt east coast stations get to -15dB, there's a  chance I can  work across.  The map doesn't show signal strength directly, but the database search does. (To really cheat, pick the nearest WSPR station to you on the map, and set the map to display reports for only that call. You then see everywhere he's being heard)

                            I must admit - I don't think I have *ever* had a CQ call answered - you just have to watch and get lucky. (just in case you need it - tune your (suppressed) carrier to 10.140 - and you will see 90+% of all the non-RTTY stations within a wide SSB  filter (that is between 10.1403 and 10.1437 MHz). Forget the bandplan :-), this where my (32 KHz wide) waterfall sees almost all the digital action.)

                            I'm at the rig most evenings - happy to set up a sked if you want. NY is a state I heard most days

                            73

                            --David G8SQH

                            Alan G wrote:
                             

                            I agree with you about the band but for the last few weeks it has been empty in my area. I tune it in every day but see nothing nor do I hear anything. I even shoot an arrow in the air but it landeth I know not where. Maybe it is still in the air. I am not on a night being kind of old at 76. Funny thing is that I see a lot of 30DMG persons on 20 meters and know that most of them would like to be on 30. In a few weeks, it will return for me. That is the beauty of ham radio as opposed to land lines or Dstar which I like also. My favorite still remains 30 and 40 meter CW but slim pickings. 73 Bob


                          • kc2siz
                            ... My guess is that conditions just need to improve a little. I reliably see a lot of activity on 30m and probably spend 90% of my time on either 20m or 30m.
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 11, 2009
                            • 0 Attachment
                              --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Alan G" <n2slb@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > I am loyal and keep trying but have seen very little or anything for a few weeks. 73 Bob
                              >

                              My guess is that conditions just need to improve a little. I reliably see a lot of activity on 30m and probably spend 90% of my time on either 20m or 30m. At times 30m can seem like a DX goldmine, and that is especially true for me since I became active in CW mode!

                              I will watch for you and will definitely answer your call should I happen upon it.

                              73
                              Steve
                              KC2SIZ
                            • N5ZTW
                              I worked YB8EXL at sunrise this morning here in central Texas. Indonesia pretty cool! I saw him work a string of stateside stations. I also saw some JA s on
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 11, 2009
                              • 0 Attachment

                                I worked YB8EXL at sunrise this morning here in central Texas .

                                Indonesia pretty cool! I saw him work a string of stateside stations. I also saw some JA’s on RTTY

                                Things are improving!

                                Del N5ZTW

                                 


                                From: 30MDG@yahoogroups.com [mailto: 30MDG@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of kc2siz
                                Sent: Sunday, October 11, 2009 8:47 AM
                                To: 30MDG@yahoogroups.com
                                Subject: [30MDG] Re: Is anyone ever on

                                 

                                 



                                --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups. com, "Alan G" <n2slb@...> wrote:

                                >
                                > I am loyal and keep trying but have seen very little or anything for a few
                                weeks. 73 Bob
                                >

                                My guess is that conditions just need to improve a little. I reliably see a lot of activity on 30m and probably spend 90% of my time on either 20m or 30m. At times 30m can seem like a DX goldmine, and that is especially true for me since I became active in CW mode!

                                I will watch for you and will definitely answer your call should I happen upon it.

                                73
                                Steve
                                KC2SIZ

                                No virus found in this incoming message.
                                Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
                                Version: 8.5.421 / Virus Database: 270.14.9/2428 - Release Date: 10/11/09 06:39:00

                              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.