30M top loaded ground mounted ant

  • n5ztw
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 23, 2009
      Howdy group.
      I took some photos of my home brew antenna and posted them in the photo section of the group. This is an antenna I built from scrap material I had around. It is based on the Dick Stroud W9SR design in the 2008 ARRL handbook page 22.27-28 which is for 40-160M. I had a shorter section of mast than what was required for that antenna and decided to see if I could make a 30M version using what I had. To my delight it worked out well after some experimenting with various coils. Even better it did not require a shunt coil like the 40-160M version as I was able to obtain an SWR of less than 1.5:1 at 50 ohms using an MFJ-269 antenna analyzer. I added comments to each photo describing the construction details and methods I used.
      It stands about 13 feet tall and I used a concrete 5 gallon paint pail buried in the ground as a base. (see photos).
      I found it works great after making a few contacts this weekend. I have gained several S units on RX over the G5RV I have been using.
      When I get time I will compile a formal construction manual.
      Enjoy,
      Delbert N5ZTW in EM00vf
    • Barry
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 24, 2009
        Cheers Delbert N5ZTW, I will have a look at the pictures.
        I am using a Hustler 6-BTV, which seems to work OK on 30m, but I would like
        a dedicated 30m vertical.
        73
        Barry, MØIOW. 30 MDG #0013
        http://30mdg.net/

        > Howdy group.
        > I took some photos of my home brew antenna and posted them in the photo
        > section of the group. This is an antenna I built from scrap material I
        > had around. It is based on the Dick Stroud W9SR design in the 2008 ARRL
        > handbook page 22.27-28 which is for 40-160M. I had a shorter section of
        > mast than what was required for that antenna and decided to see if I
        > could make a 30M version using what I had. To my delight it worked out
        > well after some experimenting with various coils. Even better it did
        > not require a shunt coil like the 40-160M version as I was able to
        > obtain an SWR of less than 1.5:1 at 50 ohms using an MFJ-269 antenna
        > analyzer. I added comments to each photo describing the construction
        > details and methods I used.
        > It stands about 13 feet tall and I used a concrete 5 gallon paint pail
        > buried in the ground as a base. (see photos).
        > I found it works great after making a few contacts this weekend. I have
        > gained several S units on RX over the G5RV I have been using.
        > When I get time I will compile a formal construction manual.
        > Enjoy,
        > Delbert N5ZTW in EM00vf
      • Dan Smith
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 20, 2009
          Ho Del,
             I am very interested in the antenna you made... Do you have any pics or info on how to make it? I don't know if you remember me I worked you a while back on PSK-31... I was mobile.. I had a Logging accident some years ago & am having trouble with wire antenna being in a wheelchair.. SO I thought I would ask you about the antenna you made for 30M... I would be very thankful for any info. or pictures you have...
          The best to you and your Del. Hope to see you on the waterfall again soon..
          73
          Dan/KD7UFF

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 20, 2009

            Hi Dan,

            I posted photos with assembly comments in the “photos” section of the group.

            When I get some time I will make a detailed assembly write-up.

            So far I’m happy with it’s performance. I was even able to tune it up on 40M psk with an LDG Z-100.

            Del, N5ZTW