Re: [30meterPSKGroup] Phased Array Verticals for 30 Meters

  • phil williams
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 6, 2009
      How does the antenna pattern look on 30 meters. Considering the phasing
      and antennas are not cut for it.

      Just curious.

      philw de ka1gmn.

      On Sat, 2009-06-06 at 00:10 +0200, Eckersberger Peter wrote:
      > Hi Phil,
      >
      > Sorry for the delay. YES! I do!
      >
      > I'm using a 4SQUARE antenna by COMTEK <http://www.comteksystems.com/>
      > since 1990 without any troubles but a lot of fun and perfect
      > performance. It's actually made and tuned for 40 meters but works great
      > on 30 as well.
      >
      > Years ago I stumbled across using that antenna for 30 by pure
      > coincidence. I was working on 40 when all over sudden a very rare DX
      > station was spotted on 30 on the DXCluster. I jumped to that frequency
      > and in the heat of the battle I simply forgot to change the antenna.
      > After the QSO with that station I realized that I had done so by using
      > the 40m-4SQUARE.
      >
      > Because of that fact I simply wrote an email to COMTEK asking whether or
      > not the 40m-antenna might also be used for 30 WITHOUT damaging the phase
      > box or something else. The answer was astonishing ...
      >
      > "As long as the reflected power doesn't exceed 10 percent of the output
      > power you may use this antenna as you like! We wish you success and fun
      > on 30 meters!"
      >
      > Well, since then I'm using that very fine and most efficient antenna
      > system on both 40 and 30 meters. Till now I worked on 30 meters 314 DXCC
      > entities and got 295 of them confirmed.
      >
      > Well, that's it. Have a nice weekend.
      >

      > 73 de Pez, OE3EPW
      > <oe3epw@...>
      >

      > phil williams wrote:
      > > Anyone using phased array verticals for 30 meters? I would be
      > > interested in your experiences.
      > >
      > > philw de ka1gmn
      > >

      > ------------------------------------
      >
      > Please join in with us on the 30 Meter Band. When in the shack use the 30 mtr digital Spots page made possible by Laurie VK3AMA
      >
      > http://www.hamspots.net/spotit.php?b=30
      >
      > http://www.hamspots.net/auto_history.php
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Eckersberger Peter
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 6, 2009
        Hi Phil,

        Well, to be honest I didn't measure the pattern. But out of my
        experience and compared with the direction efficiency on 40 m it should
        be quite the same as on 40. Just the SWR is on 30 m 1,3:1 instead of 1:1
        as it is on 40. A picture of the pattern on 40 you may find at the
        "COMTEK" website <http://www.comteksystems.com/>. Just click on the
        "ACB-4" link. Besides other stuff it brings up a draft of the pattern.

        But anyway, if you want an antenna only for 30 you should buy the stuff
        for 30m. COMTEK is offering that one too. Here is a list of the
        different products ...

        Model Description Price w/115 VAC Price w/230 VAC

        ACB-160 160M Phased Array Switch $419.95 $434.95
        ACB-80 80M Phased Array Switch $409.95 $424.95
        ACB-40 40M Phased Array Switch $399.95 $414.95
        ACB-30 30M Phased Array Switch $399.95 $414.95
        ACB-20 20M Phased Array Switch $374.95 $389.95
        ACB-15 15M Phased Array Switch $364.95 $379.95
        ACB-10 10M Phased Array Switch $364.95 $379.95

        Visit their website and have a look yourself. There you'll also find a
        lot of interesting informations on Phased Array Systems in general.

        73 de Pez, OE3EPW
        <oe3epw@...>

        AR SK