Re: [30meterPSKGroup] Phased Array Verticals for 30 Meters

  • Eckersberger Peter
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 5, 2009
      Hi Phil,

      Sorry for the delay. YES! I do!

      I'm using a 4SQUARE antenna by COMTEK <http://www.comteksystems.com/>
      since 1990 without any troubles but a lot of fun and perfect
      performance. It's actually made and tuned for 40 meters but works great
      on 30 as well.

      Years ago I stumbled across using that antenna for 30 by pure
      coincidence. I was working on 40 when all over sudden a very rare DX
      station was spotted on 30 on the DXCluster. I jumped to that frequency
      and in the heat of the battle I simply forgot to change the antenna.
      After the QSO with that station I realized that I had done so by using
      the 40m-4SQUARE.

      Because of that fact I simply wrote an email to COMTEK asking whether or
      not the 40m-antenna might also be used for 30 WITHOUT damaging the phase
      box or something else. The answer was astonishing ...

      "As long as the reflected power doesn't exceed 10 percent of the output
      power you may use this antenna as you like! We wish you success and fun
      on 30 meters!"

      Well, since then I'm using that very fine and most efficient antenna
      system on both 40 and 30 meters. Till now I worked on 30 meters 314 DXCC
      entities and got 295 of them confirmed.

      Well, that's it. Have a nice weekend.

      73 de Pez, OE3EPW
      <oe3epw@...>

      phil williams wrote:
      > Anyone using phased array verticals for 30 meters? I would be
      > interested in your experiences.
      >
      > philw de ka1gmn

    • phil williams
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 5, 2009
        Thanks Peter. That is very encouraging. I tend to like vertical myself.

        Never did a phased set for 30meters, but now I think this is going to be
        my summer project.

        philw de ka1gmn

        On Sat, 2009-06-06 at 00:10 +0200, Eckersberger Peter wrote:
        > Hi Phil,
        >
        > Sorry for the delay. YES! I do!
        >
        > I'm using a 4SQUARE antenna by COMTEK <http://www.comteksystems.com/>
        > since 1990 without any troubles but a lot of fun and perfect
        > performance. It's actually made and tuned for 40 meters but works great
        > on 30 as well.
        >
        > Years ago I stumbled across using that antenna for 30 by pure
        > coincidence. I was working on 40 when all over sudden a very rare DX
        > station was spotted on 30 on the DXCluster. I jumped to that frequency
        > and in the heat of the battle I simply forgot to change the antenna.
        > After the QSO with that station I realized that I had done so by using
        > the 40m-4SQUARE.
        >
        > Because of that fact I simply wrote an email to COMTEK asking whether or
        > not the 40m-antenna might also be used for 30 WITHOUT damaging the phase
        > box or something else. The answer was astonishing ...
        >
        > "As long as the reflected power doesn't exceed 10 percent of the output
        > power you may use this antenna as you like! We wish you success and fun
        > on 30 meters!"
        >
        > Well, since then I'm using that very fine and most efficient antenna
        > system on both 40 and 30 meters. Till now I worked on 30 meters 314 DXCC
        > entities and got 295 of them confirmed.
        >
        > Well, that's it. Have a nice weekend.
        >

        > 73 de Pez, OE3EPW
        > <oe3epw@...>
        >

        > phil williams wrote:
        > > Anyone using phased array verticals for 30 meters? I would be
        > > interested in your experiences.
        > >
        > > philw de ka1gmn
        > >

        > ------------------------------------
        >
        > Please join in with us on the 30 Meter Band. When in the shack use the 30 mtr digital Spots page made possible by Laurie VK3AMA
        >
        > http://www.hamspots.net/spotit.php?b=30
        >
        > http://www.hamspots.net/auto_history.php
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • phil williams
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 6, 2009
          How does the antenna pattern look on 30 meters. Considering the phasing
          and antennas are not cut for it.

          Just curious.

          philw de ka1gmn.

          On Sat, 2009-06-06 at 00:10 +0200, Eckersberger Peter wrote:
          > Hi Phil,
          >
          > Sorry for the delay. YES! I do!
          >
          > I'm using a 4SQUARE antenna by COMTEK <http://www.comteksystems.com/>
          > since 1990 without any troubles but a lot of fun and perfect
          > performance. It's actually made and tuned for 40 meters but works great
          > on 30 as well.
          >
          > Years ago I stumbled across using that antenna for 30 by pure
          > coincidence. I was working on 40 when all over sudden a very rare DX
          > station was spotted on 30 on the DXCluster. I jumped to that frequency
          > and in the heat of the battle I simply forgot to change the antenna.
          > After the QSO with that station I realized that I had done so by using
          > the 40m-4SQUARE.
          >
          > Because of that fact I simply wrote an email to COMTEK asking whether or
          > not the 40m-antenna might also be used for 30 WITHOUT damaging the phase
          > box or something else. The answer was astonishing ...
          >
          > "As long as the reflected power doesn't exceed 10 percent of the output
          > power you may use this antenna as you like! We wish you success and fun
          > on 30 meters!"
          >
          > Well, since then I'm using that very fine and most efficient antenna
          > system on both 40 and 30 meters. Till now I worked on 30 meters 314 DXCC
          > entities and got 295 of them confirmed.
          >
          > Well, that's it. Have a nice weekend.
          >

          > 73 de Pez, OE3EPW
          > <oe3epw@...>
          >

          > phil williams wrote:
          > > Anyone using phased array verticals for 30 meters? I would be
          > > interested in your experiences.
          > >
          > > philw de ka1gmn
          > >

          > ------------------------------------
          >
          > Please join in with us on the 30 Meter Band. When in the shack use the 30 mtr digital Spots page made possible by Laurie VK3AMA
          >
          > http://www.hamspots.net/spotit.php?b=30
          >
          > http://www.hamspots.net/auto_history.php
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Eckersberger Peter
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 6, 2009
            Hi Phil,

            Well, to be honest I didn't measure the pattern. But out of my
            experience and compared with the direction efficiency on 40 m it should
            be quite the same as on 40. Just the SWR is on 30 m 1,3:1 instead of 1:1
            as it is on 40. A picture of the pattern on 40 you may find at the
            "COMTEK" website <http://www.comteksystems.com/>. Just click on the
            "ACB-4" link. Besides other stuff it brings up a draft of the pattern.

            But anyway, if you want an antenna only for 30 you should buy the stuff
            for 30m. COMTEK is offering that one too. Here is a list of the
            different products ...

            Model Description Price w/115 VAC Price w/230 VAC

            ACB-160 160M Phased Array Switch $419.95 $434.95
            ACB-80 80M Phased Array Switch $409.95 $424.95
            ACB-40 40M Phased Array Switch $399.95 $414.95
            ACB-30 30M Phased Array Switch $399.95 $414.95
            ACB-20 20M Phased Array Switch $374.95 $389.95
            ACB-15 15M Phased Array Switch $364.95 $379.95
            ACB-10 10M Phased Array Switch $364.95 $379.95

            Visit their website and have a look yourself. There you'll also find a
            lot of interesting informations on Phased Array Systems in general.

            73 de Pez, OE3EPW
            <oe3epw@...>

            AR SK