Re : the Dalton Minimum

  • Mel
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2009
      Hello Sholto,

      May I offer you my unreserved apology for the short lapse in my seventy one year old memory. You are of course correct, the eruption of Krakatoa on Krakatoa Island occured on the 27th of August 1883. Not having to hand a book with the historical details, I was confusing "The year without a Summer" to this volcanic event. Mind you, there are people much younger than me who are unable to recall what they had for lunch !

      The "Year without a Summer" was caused by the eruption in 1815 of Mount Tamboura in Indonesia, not but a hop, skip and a jump from Krakatoa ! The eruption occured on the 10th of April 1815, an estimated ten thousand people died, with a further 82,000 in the months following due to starvation and disease, and it is the worlds worst volcano disaster in recorded history.

      It threw 93 cubic miles of ash high into the atmosphere, and this followed Mayon in the Philippine Islands in 1814,and La Souffriere in 1812. There was snow in early June on the eastern seaboard of the USA, with frost during July, August and September, and twelve inches of snow fell on Quebec during June. Prolonged rain caused serious crop failure in Britain and was recorded as the third coldest Summer recorded since 1659.

      Kind regards, Mel G0GQK