The Dalton Minimum

  • Mel
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2009
      That was an interesting comment Thomas NZ4O made about the Dalton Minimum. I'd never ever read about that so I did a bit of Googling and found that it was discovered by John Dalton and lasted forty years from 1790 until 1830. Thomas did mention that it was called "The year without a Summer", but drawing on my memory I recall reading that during this period the volcano on Krakatoa Island erupted, which has subsequently beeen called the loudest bang on earth.

      The explosion removed the island from the earth and sent millions of tons of debris high into the upper atmosphere, which "blacked out" the sun for a long period. American newspapers reported snow storms in July and people wearing winter clothes because it was so cold. It was during this time the English painter Turner was producing his well known paintings with unusual sky colours and experts have confirmed that there were extremely unusual colours in the upper atmosphers caused by the dust from the Krakatoa volcano which had caused this effect in England.

      Perhaps most of us are aware of the Maunder Minimum which lasted for a period of seventy years, but an even longer period without sunspots occured between 1420 and 1570 which is known as the Sporer Minimum, and this period lasted for 150 years. It is surprising that the Sporer Minimum is less well known than the Maunder.

      Let us hope that the 21st century doesn't bring any more "nasties", I think we've had quite enough world problems of one sort or another during the last nine years without the threat of world famine if another volcano erupts during a sunspot minimum.

      Kind regards, Mel G0GQK
    • Sholto Fisher
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2009
        Mel,

        Unless there were previous eruptions Krakatoa erupted on August 27th
        1883 ...

        ... but you're right after this event the average global temperature
        dropped but returned to normal by 1888.

        The "Year Without A Summer" occurred in 1816 as you say, during the
        Dalton Minimum.

        Now, go to the back of the class and open your history books :)

        73 Sholto
        K7TMG

        Mel wrote:
        > That was an interesting comment Thomas NZ4O made about the Dalton Minimum. I'd never ever read about that so I did a bit of Googling and found that it was discovered by John Dalton and lasted forty years from 1790 until 1830. Thomas did mention that it was called "The year without a Summer", but drawing on my memory I recall reading that during this period the volcano on Krakatoa Island erupted, which has subsequently beeen called the loudest bang on earth.
        >
        > The explosion removed the island from the earth and sent millions of tons of debris high into the upper atmosphere, which "blacked out" the sun for a long period. American newspapers reported snow storms in July and people wearing winter clothes because it was so cold. It was during this time the English painter Turner was producing his well known paintings with unusual sky colours and experts have confirmed that there were extremely unusual colours in the upper atmosphers caused by the dust from the Krakatoa volcano which had caused this effect in England.
        >
        > Perhaps most of us are aware of the Maunder Minimum which lasted for a period of seventy years, but an even longer period without sunspots occured between 1420 and 1570 which is known as the Sporer Minimum, and this period lasted for 150 years. It is surprising that the Sporer Minimum is less well known than the Maunder.
        >
        > Let us hope that the 21st century doesn't bring any more "nasties", I think we've had quite enough world problems of one sort or another during the last nine years without the threat of world famine if another volcano erupts during a sunspot minimum.
        >
        > Kind regards, Mel G0GQK

      • Leslie Elliott
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2009
          Wouldn't it be great if we do have another Dalton type minimum, that it might actually be a lifesaver because it would offset the current Global Warming problem?  Just thinking out loud, and Please Please let's don't start a thread about whether Global Warming is real, etc.  That would certainly be WAY off Topic!

          KCØPTO  Les