RE: [30meterPSKGroup] A couple of questions and a plug for a real good interface that is CHEAP!

  • Barry
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 12, 2009
      > A few questions for the group....
      >
      > 1. What time is best, prop wise, to be on 30 PSK? I am in Northern
      > Ohio.
      No proper answer to that as I am in the UK, but I do work over the pond
      around 21.00 to 01.00 UTC at the moment.

      > 2. What kind of pwer on average are people using?
      My IC70611G is set to 30W Doug.

      > I am active lately on 40 and I'm looking forward to hooking up with
      > everyone on 30.

      Welcome to 30m, I hope we can work each other soon.
      73

      Barry, MØIOW. 30 MDG #0013
      http://30mdg.net/
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 15, 2009
        Hi Doug N8WWM,

        Thanks for the questions (actually these will help me as I'm putting together some 30MDG Q & A's).

        1. "Best time for propagation on 30 PSK?" (from Ohio)
        Well, depends what you are looking for...domestic more local NA station or a ragchew? The 30m band is open to parts of the USA/NA most anytime of the day so put out a CQ and see who answers! For DX you are close to me so I will assume you will have close propagation to mine...most active hours on 30 meter PSK are from 1600z to 2300z....best times right now for IL/NA to EU 2000z to 2300z most any day....IL/NA to SA 2100z to 0200z....IL/NA to OC/ZL 0400z to 0700z.

        You can always see what my central NA 30m psk spots are going 24 x 7 we have it running so go here:

        http://www.hamspots.net/spotit.php?b=30&

        http://www.hamspots.net/auto_history.php?

        Some other great places to look for propagation (but the best is putting out a CQ on the band) is to go here:

        HRD DM780 PSK Reporter:
        http://psk.gladstonefamily.net/pskmap.html

        PropNet 30 Meter PropNet PSK stations:
        http://propnet.org/catch3.php?band=HG&last=1&call=¢er=WW

        http://propnet.org/catch3.php?band=HG&last=24&call=¢er=WW

        2. "What kind of power on average are people using?"

        Well your in luck because we have a 'poll' that many 30m digital ops have put their 2 cents in and it appears that 75% of the ops are using 40w or less and about 50% are using from 20w to 40w and I would say that is about normal from the QSO's I have had and what we use here too. It really doesn't take much and we also must remember to use as little power as it takes to complete a contact (and we are secondary users of the 30m band so little and less for less interference to primary users the better). Your best bet is if PSK isn't cutting it due to poor band conditions as it really is not the best weaksignal mode is to switch to a better weaksignal mode like MFSK or Olivia etc.

        To see our 'polls' on power, interfaces, sofware, modes used go here:

        http://www.30meterdigital.org/30msoftware.html

        http://poll.pollcode.com/53D_result?v

        Hope this helps some Doug and good for you on your interface..looks nice. Have fun on 30m...great band and some very good folks to meet and work on the band.

        de kb9umt Don 30MDG#0001