RE: [30meterPSKGroup] Re: Other bands?

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 11 10:18 PM

      Les,

      As we come in to summer you will find that you can work into VK and ZL pretty easily and  do that at 9pm at night where you are located.  In fact you might even listen out for the ANZA net based in VK and ZL on 14.183 on 20 meters in a month or so,  I think they start up about 0500z.  Of course time of day and year play a big part even without sunspots and we can usually work JA’s through the winter months and shift south to VK and ZL during the summer.  The band is most likely open earlier during the day to ZL and VK, but people are at work and not on the radio.  Last year I managed to work into Africa long path at 10:30pm California time on 20 meters via the ANZA net with no sun spots.

      Of course at the top of the cycle you may wish we were at the bottom because the bands will become unbelievably crowded and hard to make a QSO because of S9 + 40 QRMJ

      A good time for 30 meters seems to be 0400z to VK and ZL when people are home from work and on the radio during the summer.

      Mike

      From: 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com [mailto:30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Leslie Elliott

      I have only made 2 QSO's on any band other than 20, 30, 40 or 80 Meters.  Both were on 17M, one with Japan and the other with Curacao, Netherlands Antillies.  Both PSK31.  I don't spend a lot of time trying other bands, but do occasionally check 17, 15, 12 and 10M for activity.  Amen on needing the Sun to come alive!

      I have noticed a big change in 20M propagation in the last couple of weeks.  It used to go really dead for me by the time it got dark in the evening, or before.  Now it seems good much later.  In fact, I had my first New Zealand QSO last night (Friday) at 03:29Z on 20M.  I was really surprised at the DX and the late hour on 20M.  Since it is obviously not the sunspots that is causing this change, I wonder what other factor is in play.

      KCØPTO  Les

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 12 7:06 AM
        the quick answer to action on 17 and 15 meters is NO!

        i find 17 meters is a lot like 30 meters used to be. the band is open but there's very few operators there. in a years time i've worked around 14 countries and 9 states on 17 meters (digital and CW). on 15 meters is a matter of the band not opening (altho i've made hundreds on contacts on 15 during the major contest).

        about all i can say is call CQ on 17 and see what pop's up.

        good luck,

        ..jesse..
        WB5NPW

      • wa3frp@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 12 9:50 AM
          Bob,

          While I've worked 114 DXCC Countries on 17M and 63 DXCC Countries on 15M via digital, 30M is still my favorite band, especially during this part of the sunspot cycle.

          There are nice openings on both 17M and 15M each day, even with zero sunspots and solar flux near 70. For example,  I am currently copying YU3AA on 17M today at 1645 UTC from my QTH in Pennsylvania using a dipole antenna.

          It seems that 15M magically comes to life during contest weekends but then just as magically falls off on the Monday after a contest.   The same seems to be true for major DXpeditions.   Similar to 30M, 15M seems to me to be a greatly underutilized band for digital.

          One easy way to see the band openings is to monitor 18.110 and 21.150 beacons that are described here:

          http://www.ncdxf.org/beacon/BeaconSchedule.html

          Good luck!  73
          Russ WA3FRP

          Although my best results are on 30 meters, I was looking for some variety. Is there any action on 17 or 15 meters. Bob

        • kc2qfr
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 12 10:18 AM
            Wow! Thanks Russ for the tips and info. I guess I have been missing something. I will start to give it a try. 73 de Fred KC2QFR.

            --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, wa3frp@... wrote:

            > Bob,
            >
            > While I've worked 114 DXCC Countries on 17M and 63 DXCC Countries on 15M via digital, 30M is still my favorite band, especially during this part of the sunspot cycle.
            >
            > There are nice openings on both 17M and 15M each day, even with zero sunspots and solar flux near 70. For example, ?I am currently copying YU3AA on 17M today at 1645 UTC from?my QTH in Pennsylvania using a dipole antenna.
            >
            > It seems that 15M magically comes to life during contest weekends?but then just as magically falls off on the Monday after a contest.?? The same seems to be true for major DXpeditions.???Similar to 30M, 15M seems to me to be a greatly underutilized band for digital. ??
            >
            > One easy way to see?the band openings is to monitor 18.110 and 21.150 beacons that are described here:
            >
            > http://www.ncdxf.org/beacon/BeaconSchedule.html
            >

            > Good luck!? 73
            > Russ WA3FRP

          • n2slb
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 13 12:04 PM
              Russ thank you and all the kind people who have helped. I agree that 30 meters is best for psk and cw (which is my favorite) I find 20 is spotty. 40 works okay. My problem is that with my Buddipole I either can do 40 and 30 on one setting and 30 to 15 on another setting. Of course now that wx is turning warmer it is no big deal. The winter is a bit tuff on my copd and 76 year old bones. 73 and tx again. Bob
              --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, wa3frp@... wrote:

              > Bob,
              >
              > While I've worked 114 DXCC Countries on 17M and 63 DXCC Countries on 15M via digital, 30M is still my favorite band, especially during this part of the sunspot cycle.
              >
              > There are nice openings on both 17M and 15M each day, even with zero sunspots and solar flux near 70. For example, ?I am currently copying YU3AA on 17M today at 1645 UTC from?my QTH in Pennsylvania using a dipole antenna.
              >
              > It seems that 15M magically comes to life during contest weekends?but then just as magically falls off on the Monday after a contest.?? The same seems to be true for major DXpeditions.???Similar to 30M, 15M seems to me to be a greatly underutilized band for digital. ??
              >
              > One easy way to see?the band openings is to monitor 18.110 and 21.150 beacons that are described here:
              >
              > http://www.ncdxf.org/beacon/BeaconSchedule.html
              >

              > Good luck!? 73
              > Russ WA3FRP

            • Don Leitch
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 13 12:11 PM

                I think the newer hams tend to think ham radio is easy, and expect others to be there any time , at this time in sunspot minimum  those of us who have seen sunspot cycles come and go tend to sit back and just wait,  so the bands are quiet,  a lot pop up during a contest and then sit back again .

                There are openings and last week the solar wind came up a little and we had some nice openings, it only lasted a few days and the solar flux went back to 69. The week before the SFI went to 72 and the same happened, that’s the time to pounce. Enjoy it while you can.

                As someone wrote a few days back, in a year or two you will struggle to  find a space on any band to hold a qso,  signals will be 59 + from one end to the other and close by stations will drowning us out. The SFI will be 140 plus.

                I do look forward to hearing USA and Africa  loud and clear,  30 meters has been a new band for me, at the moment I hear parts of Europe , Vk , New Caledonia and some pacific islands.

                I am trying to work the 30 meter  digi group worked all continents and so far no north or south usa at all.

                Here utc is 12 hours different  so usa evening is my lunchtime so when I do get to hear usa you guys are mostly sound asleep.

                I only run a wire loop but there are a couple of ZLs with quads up very high and easily workable you just have to get up and listen for us we are there waiting and listening.

                Don  ZL1ATB