30m open most every night but no one around

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 7, 2009
      Just another note that 30m is not dead due to lack of propagation but is dead due to lack of use by digital ops that seem to think 30m isn't usable at night.

      I usually give out a few calls just before shutting off at bed time if the rig was on for the evening because some of my best DX has been at night and also some of my best ragchews on 30m late night too.

      Tonight I thought maybe I would catch the 'keeper of the key' Rob ZL3RG on the band late so around 0330z I gave out a few calls around 10.140 (dial) +2100 where Rob usually is hanging out but no replies.

      Is the band dead of propagation? Well...not really...no one must be around but there is Ed WB6YTE our 30m auto spotter out on the West Coast and I know he is monitoring spots so checked the 30m Digital Spot page and sure enough WB6YTE copied my signal with no problem. There were 3 PropNet stations still on 30m so put out a CQ on 10.140 +500 in the PropNet window and yes sure enough 2 of them copied my signal. The over to PSK Reporter but only 1 Monitor for 30m was left on the 30m band for PSK Reporter but yes again that monitor heard my CQ.

      So out of the very few that I knew were on the 30m band in 'monitor' mode if you will most all of them copied my signal so the band was open from West Coast to East Coast NA and who knows where else if there were other monitors....or better yet just ops using the band at night.

      Maybe we need a 30MDG Night Owl Night

      de kb9umt Don 30MDG#0001

      http://propnet.org/index3rp.shtml

      Call Grid Band Score Age (dd:hh:mm:ss) UTC Time Fragment
      W3GXT FM19OL 30 meters 20 00:08:26 2009-04-08 03:38:09 DE KB9UMT KB9UMl KB9U TsCQ CQ DE g9UMT KBUMT
      KC9IRH EM69RB 30 meters 0 00:10:58 2009-04-08 03:35:37 CQ CQ CQ DE KB9UMT KB9UMT �9U lT

      http://www.hamspots.net/spotit.php?b=30&

      UTC Call Seen Dial AF Mode
      03:33 WB6YTE KB9UMT 10.140 1986 PSK31

      http://psk.gladstonefamily.net/pskmap.html

      There are 1 active monitors on 30m. Show all on all bands. Legend
      Rcvr Band Mode Distance Time (UTC)
      KK1D 30m PSK31 913 miles 03:33:36
    • CHRIS COLCLOUGH
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 7, 2009
        I have to agree on this one. Most evenings I am on 30M RTTY from around 18:30 UTC through to 22:00 UTC calling CQ with very few replies. I know the band is open as I am also listening to the CW end at the same time (FT1000MP with 2nd RX) and hearing plenty.

        If any of you guys would like to have a QSO look for me around 10145.00. I am also on most mornings from 06:00 to 07:00 UTC before work searching the band, and as now calling CQ (06:30) on 10145.

        Chris Colclough
        G1VDP
        30M digi Group Member #1432

        Tel: 024 7673 5940
        Mob: 07505 359709
        QTHR

[...]

        KB9UMT &#65533;9U lT

        http://www.hamspots.net/spotit.php?b=30&

        UTC Call Seen Dial AF Mode
        03:33 WB6YTE KB9UMT 10.140 1986 PSK31

        http://psk.gladstonefamily.net/pskmap.html

        There are 1 active monitors on 30m. Show all on all bands. Legend
        Rcvr Band Mode Distance Time (UTC)
        KK1D 30m PSK31 913 miles 03:33:36

        ------------------------------------

        Please join in on Thursday and Sunday Night 30mtr PSK activity nights, also
        when in the shack use the 30 mtr digital Spots page made possible by Laurie
        VK3AMA

        http://www.hamspots.net/spotit.php?b=30

        http://www.hamspots.net/auto_history.php

        Yahoo! Groups Links