Re: Re : anyone want to Throb

  • Fred
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 7, 2009
      Hi Jay and all others,
      as the mode identification on air is often difficult, if not impossible due to QRM/QRN etc., there are means to familiarize oneself via internet, and I may recommend having a close look at this page:
      http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp/Modes/index.htm
      I am an old signals f...t, possibly knowing a bit about different modes, but this page has been helpful to me, too.
      Don't give up, there is another world behind PSK!
      Btw: fldigi is a nice piece of programming, worth a try. Freeware downloadable from the same site.
      73 Fred DL6XAZ #988

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 7, 2009
        Fred DL6XAX #988,

        Good info and link..thank you.

        I'm up for some experimenting with Throb (or mode other than psk) if anyone wants to give it a go this weekend.

        I will say thus far I have found that Throb seems to fall apart for me with weaksignal work, mutlipath, or polar paths...but I'm up for more testing (switching to MFSK right back to good print/copy).

        de kb9umt Don 30MDG#0001

        --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Fred" <dl6xaz@...> wrote:

        > Hi Jay and all others,
        > as the mode identification on air is often difficult, if not impossible due to QRM/QRN etc., there are means to familiarize oneself via internet, and I may recommend having a close look at this page:
        > http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp/Modes/index.htm
        > I am an old signals f...t, possibly knowing a bit about different modes, but this page has been helpful to me, too.
        > Don't give up, there is another world behind PSK!
        > Btw: fldigi is a nice piece of programming, worth a try. Freeware downloadable from the same site.
        > 73 Fred DL6XAZ #988
        >
        > --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Jay Freeman" <jfreeman6@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I have seen several times what is probably a CQ in one of the Domino modes. It is however, one of the modes that DM-780 does not support so I can't decode it. If the guy would just use one of the more common domino modes he might get an answer :).
        > >
        > > 73,
        > >
        > > Jay - WT9S

      • Fred
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 8, 2009
          Thank you Don; under difficult conditions it will be hard to beat the abilities of MFSK ( 8 or 16 ) or Olivia. There is little use in calling CQ in Throb when propagation is down or subject to high noise. If you get a path to Europe ( between 12z and 15z presently) try MFSK on or about 14074 as most likely you will get a quicker response. Also I had Olivia QSOs with stateside on 14107,5 +/- 1 kHz during this time window, working barefoot with ground planes or dipoles. You may also look out for Europe on 10143-47.
          Good luck, vy73 Fred DL6XAZ #988