Re : anyone want to Throb

  • Mel
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 6, 2009
      Stu you are absolutely right, I have experienced exactly the same. I see about half a dozen short CQ's near to the PSK frequency, and after trying to identify exactly which mode it is, the CQ stops. I don't try any more, I just keep using PSK.

      Mel G0GQK
    • Jerry Johnston
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 6, 2009
        We could all agree that this is a primary frustration and sometimes I am
        quilty of not sending CQ long enough. In an effort to mend my ways I am
        going to the shack now and send CQ longer than nornal. I will be
        transmitting around 10142 Olivia 500/16.

        Jerry AF6MW

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 6, 2009
          I have seen several times what is probably a CQ in one of the Domino modes. It is however, one of the modes that DM-780 does not support so I can't decode it. If the guy would just use one of the more common domino modes he might get an answer :).

          73,

          Jay - WT9S
        • Fred
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 7, 2009
            Hi Jay and all others,
            as the mode identification on air is often difficult, if not impossible due to QRM/QRN etc., there are means to familiarize oneself via internet, and I may recommend having a close look at this page:
            http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp/Modes/index.htm
            I am an old signals f...t, possibly knowing a bit about different modes, but this page has been helpful to me, too.
            Don't give up, there is another world behind PSK!
            Btw: fldigi is a nice piece of programming, worth a try. Freeware downloadable from the same site.
            73 Fred DL6XAZ #988

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 7, 2009
              Fred DL6XAX #988,

              Good info and link..thank you.

              I'm up for some experimenting with Throb (or mode other than psk) if anyone wants to give it a go this weekend.

              I will say thus far I have found that Throb seems to fall apart for me with weaksignal work, mutlipath, or polar paths...but I'm up for more testing (switching to MFSK right back to good print/copy).

              de kb9umt Don 30MDG#0001

              --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Fred" <dl6xaz@...> wrote:

              > Hi Jay and all others,
              > as the mode identification on air is often difficult, if not impossible due to QRM/QRN etc., there are means to familiarize oneself via internet, and I may recommend having a close look at this page:
              > http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp/Modes/index.htm
              > I am an old signals f...t, possibly knowing a bit about different modes, but this page has been helpful to me, too.
              > Don't give up, there is another world behind PSK!
              > Btw: fldigi is a nice piece of programming, worth a try. Freeware downloadable from the same site.
              > 73 Fred DL6XAZ #988
              >
              > --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Jay Freeman" <jfreeman6@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I have seen several times what is probably a CQ in one of the Domino modes. It is however, one of the modes that DM-780 does not support so I can't decode it. If the guy would just use one of the more common domino modes he might get an answer :).
              > >
              > > 73,
              > >
              > > Jay - WT9S

            • Fred
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 8, 2009
                Thank you Don; under difficult conditions it will be hard to beat the abilities of MFSK ( 8 or 16 ) or Olivia. There is little use in calling CQ in Throb when propagation is down or subject to high noise. If you get a path to Europe ( between 12z and 15z presently) try MFSK on or about 14074 as most likely you will get a quicker response. Also I had Olivia QSOs with stateside on 14107,5 +/- 1 kHz during this time window, working barefoot with ground planes or dipoles. You may also look out for Europe on 10143-47.
                Good luck, vy73 Fred DL6XAZ #988