Re: Anyone want to THROB?

  • Fred
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 5, 2009
      Hi Doug and others.
      I started working Throb some 5 years ago, and taking the fish as it gets into the net I worked following countries during this period:
      Asiatic Russia
      Belarus
      Belgium
      Bulgaria
      Czech Rep.
      Egypt
      England
      European Russia
      Finland
      France
      Gabon
      Germany
      Italy
      Poland
      Portugal
      Romania
      Scotland
      Serbia
      Slovak Rep.
      Spain
      Switzerland
      Ukraine
      USA
      in 7 CQ zones and 20 grids.
      Most of them on 20m although the one or other showed up on 30m and below. CQing can be quite frustrating, as experience has shown, and also - compared to more robust modes - under difficult conditions Throb will show a lesser efficiency. But it is an interesting mode and well worth being used! I strongly suppose that with improving condx during the next sunspot cycle you will hear it more often.
      Compared to my entire log these QSOs total less than half percent of the total log.
      vy73 es gd luck
      Fred DL6XAZ 30MDG #988

      --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <dhobson123@...> wrote:

      > Hi Doug,
      > I tried some Throb tonight so around 2330z and then again around 0100z I CQ'd in Throb around 10.1420 or just above and did this for 20 minutes or longer each time...what was funny is as soon as switched to PSK31 I got takers so I'm going to have to assume that maybe they had no software that ahd throb...I guess but really as soon as I switched back to BPSK31 at 10.14180 got a reply right back.
      >
      > I'm willing to give it a go on Throb a few times or with several in the group here...when on the weekend would you all want to try like give some zulu times a couple times a day for maybe like an hour you all might try it on Saturday or Sunday..or you can get on the 30 Meter Digital SPOT page and log in and announce there I guess too.
      >
      > One note I have is that on marginal signals or those with multipath I find this mode to fall apart...just didn't cut it switching back to QPSK in the few times this happened was even better and then switching toMFSK a huge difference and back to decoding and communicating again...just a note.
      >
      > Thanks
      > Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001
      >

      > --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, Doug Ferrell <kd4moj-lists@> wrote:
      > >

      > > Don't hear many Throbbers out there so if someone wants to play, let me know. Only had local contacts on Throb and would like to branch out more...
      > >
      > > ...DOUG
      > > KD4MOJ
      > > 30MDG#1076

    • Stu Bryant
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 6, 2009
        The problem I keep having in attempting to explore other digital modes is someone will CQ a few times then move on before I can even figure out which mode much less which settings! I can spot Olivia because of its "preamble", but I understand Thor uses something similar... and all the other MSFK variants (etc.) take practice to identify- something not readily available when one rarely sees them. I guess the thing to do must be arrange a sked with someone with a given mode then after many months of doing this one might be able to recognize a mode quickly enough to actually answer a CQ? The bandplans should be a help but they seem to keep changing plus many seem to not follow them. I keep trying, but I could hardly count the number of times I see a station go away just as I figure I must finally be getting close to start copying. So the bottom line might be if you want someone to answer your CQ is be patient & call a few more times anyway- might just be someone is trying to figure out how to answer you!

        73 de Stu AF6IT

        --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Fred" <dl6xaz@...> wrote:

        <snip>

        CQing can be quite frustrating, as experience has shown, <snip>
        > vy73 es gd luck
        > Fred DL6XAZ 30MDG #988

      • Barry
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 6, 2009
          > The problem I keep having in attempting to explore other digital modes
          > is someone will CQ a few times then move on before I can even figure
          > out which mode much less which settings! I can spot Olivia because of
          > its "preamble", but I understand Thor uses something similar... and all
          > the other MSFK variants (etc.) take practice to identify- something not
          > readily available when one rarely sees them. I guess the thing to do
          > must be arrange a sked with someone with a given mode then after many
          > months of doing this one might be able to recognize a mode quickly
          > enough to actually answer a CQ? The bandplans should be a help but they
          > seem to keep changing plus many seem to not follow them. I keep trying,
          > but I could hardly count the number of times I see a station go away
          > just as I figure I must finally be getting close to start copying. So
          > the bottom line might be if you want someone to answer your CQ is be
          > patient & call a few more times anyway- might just be someone is trying
          > to figure out how to answer you!
          >
          > 73 de Stu AF6IT
          Hello Stu & all.
          Have you tried posting on the Hamspots page?

          http://www.hamspots.net/spotit.php?b=30

          73
          Barry, MØIOW. 30 MDG #0013
          http://30mdg.net/
        • Joe Brown
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 6, 2009
            Stu there's no easy way. You have to experiment
            and eventually you'll come to recognize the modes.
            Once you do you'll remember it.

            73 - Joe W2JLB