Olivia Frequency changes effecting 30m

  • ve1cdd
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 20, 2009
      This was posted to the Olivia Group. There are changes to the 30m band. Though it maybe of interest.

      " The new IARU Region 1 bandplan has been
      issued for 29 March 2009 (29-03-2009).
      The Olivia Center of Activity frequencies have
      been updated to comply with the bandplan, and
      follow recent trends in Olivia on-the-air activity.
      Please especially notice the changes or additions
      to the 3.5MHz, 7MHz, and 10MHz bands.

      Complete Olivia activity frequencies and information:
      http://hflink.com/olivia "

      -------
      73
      John VE1CDD
    • Jaak Hohensee
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 21, 2009
        Hello

        Now the reg.1 Olivia channell with df 10141.5 moved Olvia to DigiQRP prefer bw 10142-10142.5 :-(
        In most cases/bands the digiqrp 500hz wide bw directly after the last Olivia 500/16 channel.

        What to do now? To change DigiQRP bw to 10143.5-10144.0? Does this bw is "owned" by others? FH?

        Jaak
        es1hj/qrp

        --
        Kirjutas ja tervitab
        Jaak Hohensee

        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 22, 2009
          Thanks John for the posting....I have seen a number of Olivia QSO's and stations calling CQ just above 10.142 and seem to be having good luck with contacts.

          This is a great weak signal mode and works well under poor band conditions which is a plus and also a plus easy to tune (in fact so good that at times with QSB, fading, or multipath you can't hear the tones yet the decode is 100% good). The only downfall I see for Olivia is it is very slow to me and having any type longer exchange takes forever and it also is very wide so if the band is busy I tend to stick with narrow modes but if not busy I say look and please try Olivia if you have marginal paths...try it.

          I have seen a few operate Olivia at 10.141 but very few and I would hope those that see the other signals or the band busy from 10.140 to 10.142 would move up or down but of course that is up to the operator and good operating procedures if they see the other signals again I would hope they would give way.

          de kb9umt Don 30MDG#0001

          --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "ve1cdd" <ve1cdd@...> wrote:

          > This was posted to the Olivia Group. There are changes to the 30m band. Though it maybe of interest.
          >

          > " The new IARU Region 1 bandplan has been
          > issued for 29 March 2009 (29-03-2009).
          > The Olivia Center of Activity frequencies have
          > been updated to comply with the bandplan, and
          > follow recent trends in Olivia on-the-air activity.
          > Please especially notice the changes or additions
          > to the 3.5MHz, 7MHz, and 10MHz bands.
          >
          > Complete Olivia activity frequencies and information:
          > http://hflink.com/olivia "
          >

          > -------
          > 73
          > John VE1CDD

        • Joe Brown
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 23, 2009
            Don, I'm sure you know this but to some others
            who may not. You can run Olivia at 500/8 instead
            of the usual 500/16 and realize a baud rate almost
            as fast as PSK31. If you have propagation problems
            when using 500/8 you can ask the other station to
            switch to 500/16 and probably continue your QSO
            although at a much slower baud rate.
            73 - Joe W2JLB

            Don wrote:

            Thanks John for the posting....I have seen a number of Olivia QSO's and stations calling CQ just above 10.142 and seem to be having good luck with contacts.

            This is a great weak signal mode and works well under poor band conditions which is a plus and also a plus easy to tune (in fact so good that at times with QSB, fading, or multipath you can't hear the tones yet the decode is 100% good). The only downfall I see for Olivia is it is very slow to me and having any type longer exchange takes forever and it also is very wide so if the band is busy I tend to stick with narrow modes but if not busy I say look and please try Olivia if you have marginal paths...try it.

            I have seen a few operate Olivia at 10.141 but very few and I would hope those that see the other signals or the band busy from 10.140 to 10.142 would move up or down but of course that is up to the operator and good operating procedures if they see the other signals again I would hope they would give way.

            de kb9umt Don 30MDG#0001

            --- In 30meterPSKGroup@ yahoogroups. com, "ve1cdd" <ve1cdd@...> wrote:

            > This was posted to the Olivia Group. There are changes to the 30m band. Though it maybe of interest.
            >

            > " The new IARU Region 1 bandplan has been
            > issued for 29 March 2009 (29-03-2009) .
            > The Olivia Center of Activity frequencies have
            > been updated to comply with the bandplan, and
            > follow recent trends in Olivia on-the-air activity.
            > Please especially notice the changes or additions
            > to the 3.5MHz, 7MHz, and 10MHz bands.
            >
            > Complete Olivia activity frequencies and information:
            > http://hflink. com/olivia "
            >

            > -------
            > 73
            > John VE1CDD

          • Doug Ferrell
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 23, 2009
              Speaking of Olivia, I was monitoring an Op last night on 30m hoping to catch one of the two after their QSO. First OP that I saw had to leave after they finished and I could hear/see the other op but not decode him. This has happened on several occasions where I could hear but not decode even though both were running 500/16.

              From what I have heard/read about Olivia, supposedly you can work 'em without even hearing the signal but my experience has been the direct opposite. I haven't had any trouble with any other modes (PSK, HELL) except with Olivia.

              My setup is an Icom ProIII and HRD as the software.. any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

              ...DOUG
              KD4MOJ
              30MDG#1076
            • Doug Ferrell
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 23, 2009
                Don't hear many Throbbers out there so if someone wants to play, let me know. Only had local contacts on Throb and would like to branch out more...

                ...DOUG
                KD4MOJ
                30MDG#1076
              • Ralph Stout
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 24, 2009
                  I'd be willing to try. I have not tried Throb yet, but am willing to give it a shot. I'm usually home in the evenings around 7pm CST or whenever is good for you.
                  Ralph
                  KA5ULE
                • Wayne Golding
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 26, 2009
                    Hi
                    I'm new at the digital modes on 30 meters.  I would be keen to give Throb and  any  other mode a go.  Will be working on the antenna over the weekend so I not sure if I will be on this weekend. But anyting is possable.

                    73's
                    Wayne
                    ZL2WG
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 26, 2009
                      Hi Doug,
                      I tried some Throb tonight so around 2330z and then again around 0100z I CQ'd in Throb around 10.1420 or just above and did this for 20 minutes or longer each time...what was funny is as soon as switched to PSK31 I got takers so I'm going to have to assume that maybe they had no software that ahd throb...I guess but really as soon as I switched back to BPSK31 at 10.14180 got a reply right back.

                      I'm willing to give it a go on Throb a few times or with several in the group here...when on the weekend would you all want to try like give some zulu times a couple times a day for maybe like an hour you all might try it on Saturday or Sunday..or you can get on the 30 Meter Digital SPOT page and log in and announce there I guess too.

                      One note I have is that on marginal signals or those with multipath I find this mode to fall apart...just didn't cut it switching back to QPSK in the few times this happened was even better and then switching toMFSK a huge difference and back to decoding and communicating again...just a note.

                      Thanks
                      Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001

                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 26, 2009
                        Thank you Joe

                        de kb9umt Don 30MDG#0001

                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 26, 2009
                          Anyone awake out here?? hihi

                          Hey, can anyone or does anyone have any thoughts on this to help Doug.

                          I have a few but I don't use HRD DM780 on a regular basis but when using MixW I have never had this issue and always decodes very well at 100% with little to no signal at all. In fact tonight I was listening in to a Canadian calling CQ on Olivia just above 10.1420 and was around 569 so I flipped to the dummy load and I could not hear or see any signals even with the volume up yet he was about 75% decode/copy on the screen even at that..intresting...that Olivia does get down in the noise.

                          If you are asking why I didn't reply well...my close friend Fred down the street has got into WSJT JT65 and WSPR modes on 10.140 so it was his turn to use the band and although I can filter him out I didn't want to interfer if he was trying weaksig work so we wait to use the waterfall here if you will hihi (have to be kind to our neighbors and I think it is just great he is into WSJT modes and using 30 Meters..great@!)

                          de kb9umt Don 30MDG#0001

                          --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, Doug Ferrell <kd4moj-lists@...> wrote:

                          > Speaking of Olivia, I was monitoring an Op last night on 30m hoping to catch one of the two after their QSO. First OP that I saw had to leave after they finished and I could hear/see the other op but not decode him. This has happened on several occasions where I could hear but not decode even though both were running 500/16.
                          >
                          > From what I have heard/read about Olivia, supposedly you can work 'em without even hearing the signal but my experience has been the direct opposite. I haven't had any trouble with any other modes (PSK, HELL) except with Olivia.
                          >
                          > My setup is an Icom ProIII and HRD as the software.. any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?
                          >
                          > ...DOUG
                          > KD4MOJ
                          > 30MDG#1076

                        • Jim_Paine
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 29, 2009
                            Doug,

                            In HRD/DM780, if you can't decode 500/16, try the setting of 500/8. I have seen several stations using this as they claim it's a little faster when band conditions are good.

                            Jim N4SEC 30MDG 1919

                            --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, Doug Ferrell <kd4moj-lists@...> wrote:

                            > Speaking of Olivia, I was monitoring an Op last night on 30m hoping to catch one of the two after their QSO. First OP that I saw had to leave after they finished and I could hear/see the other op but not decode him. This has happened on several occasions where I could hear but not decode even though both were running 500/16.
                            >
                            > From what I have heard/read about Olivia, supposedly you can work 'em without even hearing the signal but my experience has been the direct opposite. I haven't had any trouble with any other modes (PSK, HELL) except with Olivia.
                            >
                            > My setup is an Icom ProIII and HRD as the software.. any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?
                            >
                            > ...DOUG
                            > KD4MOJ
                            > 30MDG#1076

                          • Fred
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 5, 2009
                              Hi Doug and others.
                              I started working Throb some 5 years ago, and taking the fish as it gets into the net I worked following countries during this period:
                              Asiatic Russia
                              Belarus
                              Belgium
                              Bulgaria
                              Czech Rep.
                              Egypt
                              England
                              European Russia
                              Finland
                              France
                              Gabon
                              Germany
                              Italy
                              Poland
                              Portugal
                              Romania
                              Scotland
                              Serbia
                              Slovak Rep.
                              Spain
                              Switzerland
                              Ukraine
                              USA
                              in 7 CQ zones and 20 grids.
                              Most of them on 20m although the one or other showed up on 30m and below. CQing can be quite frustrating, as experience has shown, and also - compared to more robust modes - under difficult conditions Throb will show a lesser efficiency. But it is an interesting mode and well worth being used! I strongly suppose that with improving condx during the next sunspot cycle you will hear it more often.
                              Compared to my entire log these QSOs total less than half percent of the total log.
                              vy73 es gd luck
                              Fred DL6XAZ 30MDG #988

                              --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <dhobson123@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Doug,
                              > I tried some Throb tonight so around 2330z and then again around 0100z I CQ'd in Throb around 10.1420 or just above and did this for 20 minutes or longer each time...what was funny is as soon as switched to PSK31 I got takers so I'm going to have to assume that maybe they had no software that ahd throb...I guess but really as soon as I switched back to BPSK31 at 10.14180 got a reply right back.
                              >
                              > I'm willing to give it a go on Throb a few times or with several in the group here...when on the weekend would you all want to try like give some zulu times a couple times a day for maybe like an hour you all might try it on Saturday or Sunday..or you can get on the 30 Meter Digital SPOT page and log in and announce there I guess too.
                              >
                              > One note I have is that on marginal signals or those with multipath I find this mode to fall apart...just didn't cut it switching back to QPSK in the few times this happened was even better and then switching toMFSK a huge difference and back to decoding and communicating again...just a note.
                              >
                              > Thanks
                              > Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001
                              >

                              > --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, Doug Ferrell <kd4moj-lists@> wrote:
                              > >

                              > > Don't hear many Throbbers out there so if someone wants to play, let me know. Only had local contacts on Throb and would like to branch out more...
                              > >
                              > > ...DOUG
                              > > KD4MOJ
                              > > 30MDG#1076

                            • Stu Bryant
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 6, 2009
                                The problem I keep having in attempting to explore other digital modes is someone will CQ a few times then move on before I can even figure out which mode much less which settings! I can spot Olivia because of its "preamble", but I understand Thor uses something similar... and all the other MSFK variants (etc.) take practice to identify- something not readily available when one rarely sees them. I guess the thing to do must be arrange a sked with someone with a given mode then after many months of doing this one might be able to recognize a mode quickly enough to actually answer a CQ? The bandplans should be a help but they seem to keep changing plus many seem to not follow them. I keep trying, but I could hardly count the number of times I see a station go away just as I figure I must finally be getting close to start copying. So the bottom line might be if you want someone to answer your CQ is be patient & call a few more times anyway- might just be someone is trying to figure out how to answer you!

                                73 de Stu AF6IT

                                --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Fred" <dl6xaz@...> wrote:

                                <snip>

                                CQing can be quite frustrating, as experience has shown, <snip>
                                > vy73 es gd luck
                                > Fred DL6XAZ 30MDG #988

                              • Barry
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 6, 2009
                                  > The problem I keep having in attempting to explore other digital modes
                                  > is someone will CQ a few times then move on before I can even figure
                                  > out which mode much less which settings! I can spot Olivia because of
                                  > its "preamble", but I understand Thor uses something similar... and all
                                  > the other MSFK variants (etc.) take practice to identify- something not
                                  > readily available when one rarely sees them. I guess the thing to do
                                  > must be arrange a sked with someone with a given mode then after many
                                  > months of doing this one might be able to recognize a mode quickly
                                  > enough to actually answer a CQ? The bandplans should be a help but they
                                  > seem to keep changing plus many seem to not follow them. I keep trying,
                                  > but I could hardly count the number of times I see a station go away
                                  > just as I figure I must finally be getting close to start copying. So
                                  > the bottom line might be if you want someone to answer your CQ is be
                                  > patient & call a few more times anyway- might just be someone is trying
                                  > to figure out how to answer you!
                                  >
                                  > 73 de Stu AF6IT
                                  Hello Stu & all.
                                  Have you tried posting on the Hamspots page?

                                  http://www.hamspots.net/spotit.php?b=30

                                  73
                                  Barry, MØIOW. 30 MDG #0013
                                  http://30mdg.net/
                                • Joe Brown
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 6, 2009
                                    Stu there's no easy way. You have to experiment
                                    and eventually you'll come to recognize the modes.
                                    Once you do you'll remember it.

                                    73 - Joe W2JLB