Re : my shortest contact on 30 metres

  • Mel
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2009
      Hello Laurie,

      It seems that Mike G8BMT has set an even better record, for the
      longest, and the shortest contact on 30 metres on one day ! I'm a bit
      confused about the kilometres to OZ though, these politicians in
      Brussels keep trying to get us troglodytes in the UK to use kilos and
      kilometres, but most of us just take no notice of 'em !

      Kind regards, Mel G0GQK
    • pa3gwh
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2009
        --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Mel" <Gzerogqk@...> wrote:

        > Hello Laurie,
        >
        > It seems that Mike G8BMT has set an even better record, for the
        > longest, and the shortest contact on 30 metres on one day ! I'm a bit
        > confused about the kilometres to OZ though, these politicians in
        > Brussels keep trying to get us troglodytes in the UK to use kilos and
        > kilometres, but most of us just take no notice of 'em !

        I think shortest contact for me on 30m was with Bart PA3HEA who lives
        7.9 KM away from me and longest was ZL3RG at 14.000 KM.

        Richard PA3GWH

        > Kind regards, Mel G0GQK

      • Andrew Tokely
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 3, 2009
          Similar to Richard......

          Shortest 2.3 Km in Vilnius and longest to ZL

          > It seems that Mike G8BMT has set an even better record, for the
          > longest, and the shortest contact on 30 metres on one day ! I'm a bit
          > confused about the kilometres to OZ though, these politicians in
          > Brussels keep trying to get us troglodytes in the UK to use kilos and
          > kilometres, but most of us just take no notice of 'em !

          I think shortest contact for me on 30m was with Bart PA3HEA who lives
          7.9 KM away from me and longest was ZL3RG at 14.000 KM.

          Richard PA3GWH

          > Kind regards, Mel G0GQK

        • Barry
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 3, 2009

            My shortest distance is about half a mile, Mat 2E0ENG, the longest distance would be to Rob ZL3RG. From my QTH.

            My shortest QSO time is last night.

            The station had no details on QRZ.com, so all I had was his/her call & country.

            I sent my details and got back  599, 73!

            No name or QTH, so I did not log him.

            I watched him on the waterfall  and did not see him give out any details!

            What did I miss?

            73

            Barry, MØIOW. 30 MDG #0013
            http://30mdg.net/

          • Dáithí
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 3, 2009
              Same here - one side of Belfast to another and also Rob in the land of the long white flanker Winking smile emoticon

              Barry - did you check the call on www.hamcall.net? Sometimes they're there and not in qrz
               (or www.hamlog.eu)

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 3, 2009
                Same here - one side of Belfast to another and also Rob in the land of the
                long white flanker

                Barry - did you check the call on www.hamcall.net? Sometimes they're there
                and not in qrz
                 (or www.hamlog.eu)
                ******************

                Hi Dáithí, no i did not look there, to be honest i thought if they didn't
                want a proper QSO what is the point?
                He was not calling CQ DX, and he was in Europe.
                Catch you later.
                Barry M0IOW
              • Mel
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 3, 2009
                  Good grief ! Half a mile ! Now then, let's clarify this.

                  Are you saying that you had a contact of half a mile, or across one
                  side of Belfast to the other, and a contact with Laurie, on the SAME
                  day, as Mike did ?. And, as for me, I was quite proud of my 21 miles,
                  oh dear, never mind, perhaps I need a better antenna !

                  G0GQK
                • Dáithí
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 3, 2009

                    Not on the same day Mel - but remember, Belfast is a valley between two sets of hills - I'm on one side and the other guy was on the other - if we're both on air we fire right down each other's throat LOL. In fact we both swamp each other at normal settings Winking smile emoticon

                    73 de Daithi

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 5, 2009
                      Hello Daithi,

                      I had a feeling that it wouldn't be on the same day, but stranger things have happened at sea ! I think its amazing that a situation would arise where a band is extremely long one minute and then extremely short a little time later.

                      Conditions have deteriorated on 30 metres, but the general band condition has improved on 40. This afternoon US stations on SSB were quite strong on 17 metres yet 18.00 was empty, somewhat like the days when the CB band was running hot and not a soul to be found on 10 metres

                      Kind regards, Mel G0GQK