Deliberate QRM

  • CHRIS COLCLOUGH
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2009
      Why is it that when ever I go on 30M RTTY, generally around 10143.0 and call CQ I always get the same Spanish stattion start calling CQ just above me with a signal as wide as the Danube Delta and then another Station starts calling CQ on PSK31 dead centre of my tones?

      What is it with these people? Are they naturally stupid or just complete imbeciles? I could understand if I was operating where the PSK guys hang out, but I always try to go higher so that I am not interfering with them.

      Now I am 10142.8 calling CQ DX outside EU and they are at it!!!!

      Makes me want to just give up.....

      Chris Colclough
      G1VDP
      30M DG #1432

      Tel: 024 7673 5940
      Mob: 07505 359709
      QTHR
    • Don Leitch
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 28, 2009

        Hi even though the psk frequency is 10.140 our waterfall shows 10.140.10 to 10.142.80

        And psk is usually operated anywhere on that waterfall. I never go outside that area .

        I guess you now see, as psk ops, our  frustration when the rtty boys go right on top of us.10.140.5 yep seen it there a lot. I think  band plans just says narrow mode digital  which includes rtty and psk and all the others that’s what the ZL one has anyway. Except in vk where they have a ssb section just below it, but yes I have seen the odd vk in the data area on ssb as well asking what that funny screeching sound is.

        143 should be safe though and 142.8 is really only just on the edge and many times I have seen rtty  there but its far enough away  not to bother me. I set a filter and its gone .

        Guess at the days end we live with it and work around it.

        Don zl1atb

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
          Chris - I can understand your frustration; unfortunately there are
          quite a number of hams who simply don't care, or who shouldn't get a
          license at all, or who play the proverbial band policeman. Then there
          are others who - often by despair - just fire back with carriers or
          cqing on top of what they don't like to see. I followed a disgusting
          exchange of fecal language today in rtty on 20m between two south
          European stations ... You find them all. I am on the air now,
          including signals times, for 45 years and have seen it all... If I am
          finding myself in situations as those you describe, I simply go away.
          If the nuisance follows me, I change bands. It is a hobby and I am
          not going to get more white hair than I already got.
          I can imagine which EA stn you are referring to as by course of time
          we find the "usual suspects" on certain bands, and mind you: this
          term includes all those I like to have a QSO with, and be it for just
          saying hello and report.
          Those who are disturbing your traffic will not be there forever. And
          why not go up band with your rtty, say to 10145-6 ? Those who look
          for such CQs will find you. And btw, I never reply to CQs in modes
          not appropriate for the bpsk sector even if I would like to have that
          mode in the log there.
          The peak of inappropriate modes was recently some well known station
          calling cq in SSTV at 10142 peaking 599 with me - yet, nobody coming
          back might have bored him...
          cuagn, vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

          --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, CHRIS COLCLOUGH