Re : V dipole help

  • Mel
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 23, 2009
      Hello Kevin,

      What help were you hoping for in particular ? A V dipole this size
      would be quite unwieldy in high winds, but it all depends how it's
      constructed.

      May I suggest an alternative ? You have a couple of fibreglass
      extending poles, so why not just use one and make a 30 metre
      vertical ? Use plastic covered single core stranded wire, a 1/4
      wavelength long taped to the outside of the pole, and one or more 1/4
      wave counterpoise radials, preferably four. Feed the antenna four
      feet above the ground and run the radials N E S W. Buy one of those
      connectors which fit the PL 295 and connect the wires to that. A
      suitable length of RG58 with a PL295 on each end, put five or six
      coils in the coax and attach to your SWR/power meter and then into
      your rig. The SWR will be about 1:3 perfectly OK, and that will get
      you all round the world. If it gets windy just collapse the pole.

      Buy a 6 ft length of 2 X 2, make it round to fit into the bottom of
      the pole and when the Spring comes go into Lidl and buy a garden
      umbrella garden screw for £4.99 and this will hold the pole verical.

      Its worth a try, I used one for a long time, but I have a half square
      now.

      Kind regards, Mel G0GQK