PropNet and SSB

  • Bill Carney
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2007
      HI All

      Enjoyed reading the group emails today....

      Yes conditions are trying at the moment but being a optimist towards such things...give it another month or so and the band should start rocking.

      These PropNet Beacons seem to be everywhere....Can someone tell us where is a safe spot to operate from...i.e.10.140 +1500 or 2000? We can not hear all of them here so need to rely on you guys pointing us to open pastures.

      The slot between 0400 to 0500Z from ZL definitely favors the long path to Europe....OE6MDF and OE6EPW have beautiful signals here on Thursday.  It was interesting to note that the other night the band was Nil and there was WB2JEP propnet beacon 579 into here at 0330Z...amazing. So the other problem too is that the majority of USA stations are in Bed after 0300Z during the work week.

      Now another interesting saga has started....There are a group of "Asian" (I think) SSB signals right on 10.140 during the day now.....I don't speak the lingo but have a funny feeling owning to the time of day (Broad daylight and at Sunset Time) They might be Fishing Trawlers operating in the South Pacific but can only guess. Having said that 30 Meters  is a "Shared" band but why there all of a sudden as it just compacts the frustration dealing with a local noise problem sitting on 10.140 also....Hi

      Can anyone elsewhere hear them? (USB) Maybe some of the other VK/ZL's can comment on it.

      Time now is 0155Z or 1:55PM Sunday....apart from the EMI on 10.140 there are also those Asians chatting away too on USB.

      73 and CU all on the waterfall.

      De Bill ZL3NB

    • kc0hln@mchsi.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2007
        Hi Bill: Funny u should mention that abt the voices as i was in a contact
        with KE5CO Paul abt 5 min ago and i could hear voices too unreadable but
        could tell there was someone in there talking right now its 0220Z xyl is
        walking the dog around the block then i am going to be listening for ya at
        least till 0400Z (if i don't fall asleep) Hope to hear ya 73 de kc0hln

        > Enjoyed reading the group emails today....
        >
        > Yes conditions are trying at the moment but being a optimist towards such
        > things...give it another month or so and the band should start rocking.
        >
        > These PropNet Beacons seem to be everywhere....Can someone tell us where is a
        > safe spot to operate from...i.e.10.140 +1500 or 2000? We can not hear all of
        > them here so need to rely on you guys pointing us to open pastures.
        >
        > The slot between 0400 to 0500Z from ZL definitely favors the long path to
        > Europe....OE6MDF and OE6EPW have beautiful signals here on Thursday. It was
        > interesting to note that the other night the band was Nil and there was WB2JEP
        > propnet beacon 579 into here at 0330Z...amazing. So the other problem too is
        > that the majority of USA stations are in Bed after 0300Z during the work week.
        >
        > Now another interesting saga has started....There are a group of "Asian" (I
        > think) SSB signals right on 10.140 during the day now.....I don't speak the
        > lingo but have a funny feeling owning to the time of day (Broad daylight and at
        > Sunset Time) They might be Fishing Trawlers operating in the South Pacific but
        > can only guess. Having said that 30 Meters is a "Shared" band but why there all
        > of a sudden as it just compacts the frustration dealing with a local noise
        > problem sitting on 10.140 also....Hi
        >
        > Can anyone elsewhere hear them? (USB) Maybe some of the other VK/ZL's can
        > comment on it.
        >
        > Time now is 0155Z or 1:55PM Sunday....apart from the EMI on 10.140 there are
        > also those Asians chatting away too on USB.
        >
        > 73 and CU all on the waterfall.
        >
        > De Bill ZL3NB

      • Bill Carney
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 4, 2007
          Hi Jerry and tnx for the info....

          I was still hearing the USB chatter also around that time plus believe it or not some cw but it was not in english..Hi

          Beautiful day in Christchurch after a miserable cold and rainy Saturday.... Today its sunny and 50Fat the moment....so will get out for abit and let the sun hit the face.

          Will be on 10.140 +2000hz from 0330Z onwards for awhile...Maybe we will get lucky today with you.

          73 de Bill ZL3NB

          > Enjoyed reading the group emails today....
          >
          > Yes conditions are trying at the moment but being a optimist towards such
          > things...give it another month or so and the band should start rocking.
          >
          > These PropNet Beacons seem to be everywhere.. ..Can someone tell us where is a
          > safe spot to operate from...i.e.10. 140 +1500 or 2000? We can not hear all of
          > them here so need to rely on you guys pointing us to open pastures.
          >
          > The slot between 0400 to 0500Z from ZL definitely favors the long path to
          > Europe....OE6MDF and OE6EPW have beautiful signals here on Thursday. It was
          > interesting to note that the other night the band was Nil and there was WB2JEP
          > propnet beacon 579 into here at 0330Z...amazing. So the other problem too is
          > that the majority of USA stations are in Bed after 0300Z during the work week.
          >
          > Now another interesting saga has started....There are a group of "Asian" (I
          > think) SSB signals right on 10.140 during the day now.....I don't speak the
          > lingo but have a funny feeling owning to the time of day (Broad daylight and at
          > Sunset Time) They might be Fishing Trawlers operating in the South Pacific but
          > can only guess. Having said that 30 Meters is a "Shared" band but why there all
          > of a sudden as it just compacts the frustration dealing with a local noise
          > problem sitting on 10.140 also....Hi
          >
          > Can anyone elsewhere hear them? (USB) Maybe some of the other VK/ZL's can
          > comment on it.
          >
          > Time now is 0155Z or 1:55PM Sunday....apart from the EMI on 10.140 there are
          > also those Asians chatting away too on USB.
          >
          > 73 and CU all on the waterfall.
          >
          > De Bill ZL3NB

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        • kc0hln@mchsi.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 4, 2007
            OK Bill: I usually do have my dial at 10.140 then with the program move my
            arrow and most of the time when i'm monitoring i sit at +1500 so i can spot
            signals up or dn quit a ways oops just heard a different sound now got
            tofigure out what it was i know it not rtty i use that a lot to so know what
            it sounds like will be listening at least till 0400Z fingers are crossed cul